Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,490,626 times

Advertisements

Like others have said it's not even close. UNC and Chapel Hill are superior in just about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:45 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,490,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not even people on the SC board think it's much of a contest.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 PM

35 posts, read 129,454 times
I graduated from UNC in '08.

It's true the school has a better reputation academically and all that for sure, and the athletics department is great if you're coming for a sport (I was an athlete my first year).

I've heard though that SC has been pretty generous with scholarship offers as of late if debt is a concern. My sister just graduated in Charlotte and a ton of people from the top half of her class are going there because with their offers its costing them almost nothing, even from out of state. Apparently if you have a pulse and a good SAT score, it's all gravy.

One big thing to consider though is if you want to go to med/law/dental/grad school here, DO NOT go to UNC for undergrad. It's practically impossible to get into a grad or professional program at UNC if you did undergrad there.

Another thing to think about is the social scene and environment. It tends to be pretty preppy and classist.

As a result I spent a lot of college hanging out at Duke and State, and I still regret not going to State.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 AM

744 posts, read 1,258,785 times
UNC's Finley used to be a total dump of a golf course. When it rained it would get boggy and stay that way for days. Then Tom Fazio was brought in about 8 years ago and several million dollars later it is one of the finest golf courses in the area.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:50 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,238,594 times
UNC is a much better school and will give your family member a better academic reputation when job-searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary