Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 22,767 times

Advertisements

I have many Crape Myrtle Trees in my yard, and I have virtually had no problems with them, they are beautiful. I always fertilize them in March.

I planted a new Crape Myrtle tree in the Spring, and now the leaves are
turning red and yellow and some of them are falling off. Almost like it
was Fall. It also has no flowers on it. Has anyone else had this problem,
or does anyone know what may be wrong with it? I called the nursery and
they said just leave it alone, but I'm still concerned. If anyone has had this
same problem, any input would be appreciated. I don't know if it needs anything. Thank you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,034 times
I have had the same problem with one of my Bradford Pear trees while the others are fine. My local cooperative extension did not have an answer for me, hope someone on here does...

Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Is it getting enough water?

As for flowering, many crape myrtles are just now starting to flower out.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
It is in a little shock.

Water the heck out of it, particularly if you fertilized it.

Next year it will be great.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:56 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
There were once two crepe myrtles between our house and the house next door. The former owners cut them down to about 5 inches high and planted a long row of redbuds, obscuring the crepe myrtle roots.

The redbuds eventually died (some affliction many redbuds had), and we uprooted them.

Unbelievably, the two crepe myrtles grew like crazy with no help from us. They are now HUGE.

So they seem to be pretty hardy trees. I agree with MikeJaquish; it's in shock. Make sure it's watered, and next year, it'll probably be great.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:50 PM

41 posts, read 229,091 times
Water the plant you can get a soaker bag and fill it with water to help it along.if there are ants around the roots get rid of them.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:33 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Our neighborhood is loaded with Crepe Myrtles - we have one in our front yard. Several of them were afflicted with an aphid infestation last year. Although mine has plenty of leaves, some of the leaves do not appear healthy and it has no flower blooms. My neighbor is a landscape architect and he sprayed it for us, he said it needs to sprayed again in a week. Not certain what type he used. He also recommended Miracle Gro Fertilizer spikes for trees. I'm hoping mine perks up!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
what ever you do don't commit crepe myrtle murder which is the old fashioned procedure of cutting them down in early spring supposedly to produce more flowers. studies have shown it makes no difference whatsoever and is some cases does more harm. it also looks so bad. See what Tony Avent has to say about crepe myrtle murder. he also has some great photos to prove the point.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 22,307 times
I have just purchased a crape myrtle and want to know when and what to use to fertilize it and how often.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy29 View Post
I have just purchased a crape myrtle and want to know when and what to use to fertilize it and how often.
This is probably the worst time of year to plant and fertilize a tree. If you do want to plant it, go ahead...but just water it. If you can make sure it survives you could just leave it in the pot and wait til it cools off a little in late September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary