Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM

81 posts, read 279,663 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I am relocating with my family to the Cary area. I need to rent a home while we look for permanent residence. I would prefer to rent a house but suspect the max time needed would be 6 months while we shop around.
Does anyone have any info on realtors or areas that offer this.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:27 PM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
Why rush into buying? Unless you're a 1st time homebuyer, I'd sign a year's lease somewhere. Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious in homeownership, but buying is a huge commitment when you're not too familiar with the area yet. In my case, it took me a whole year to find out how nice the neighborhoods around Cameron Village are. Before moving there, I assumed anything near downtown would be plagued with crime (as it is in other cities). Within the last couple weeks I've finally discovered those amazing houses on St. Mary's going towards North Hills, obviously they're up there in price though.

Maybe my voice of negativity against buying is due to my past experiences, but unless the market is moving drastically one way or the other I'd take my time. Just my .02. Good luck with your search!

Btw, still renting and loving the freedom for now. However, I do understand that circumstances are different for everyone.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:35 PM

124 posts, read 292,945 times
There are places to rent for less than a year. Friends rented in Apex, I can't remember name but it is on Olive Chapel Road near elementary school and rented for 3 months. It was a 2 bed. apartment with a pool. There are definitely places out there. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 PM

214 posts, read 695,318 times
I have been trying to do the same thing - I need to rent for about 5 months in our school district in Morrisville while my new house is built. I have contacted 12 houses and no one is the least bit interested in less than a 1 year lease. 2 reasons have been given to me be realtors/owners:

1 - summer is their high season and they want to hold out for a 1 or 2 year lease. Come back again in the fall and most places would accept a 6 month lease.

2 - they repaint and replace carpet between tennants and they need at least a year of rent to offset this

Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Why rush into buying? Unless you're a 1st time homebuyer, I'd sign a year's lease somewhere. Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious in homeownership, but buying is a huge commitment when you're not too familiar with the area yet. In my case, it took me a whole year to find out how nice the neighborhoods around Cameron Village are. Before moving there, I assumed anything near downtown would be plagued with crime (as it is in other cities). Within the last couple weeks I've finally discovered those amazing houses on St. Mary's going towards North Hills, obviously they're up there in price though.
I dont know if its a "rush" to buy but I would prefer to be settled and know where we are going to live permanently. Probably more of a psychological issue . I have visited the Cary area several times for my job and we came down last summer and spent a week looking around;that's when we decided we liked the area as a whole. Now we need to find a community that is a good fit for us.
There are a lot of choices as you know.
Where exactly is Cameron Village, is that closer to Raleigh?

Thanks to all that have replied!!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I dont know if its a "rush" to buy but I would prefer to be settled and know where we are going to live permanently. Probably more of a psychological issue . I have visited the Cary area several times for my job and we came down last summer and spent a week looking around;that's when we decided we liked the area as a whole. Now we need to find a community that is a good fit for us.
There are a lot of choices as you know.
Where exactly is Cameron Village, is that closer to Raleigh?

Thanks to all that have replied!!
Cameron Village area is among the most desirable neighborhoods in the City of Raleigh.

Rentals for 6 months are difficult this time of year, since they intrinsically indicate a vacancy at the weakest leasing time of year, Christmas/New Year's.

It may be done if you pay a premium, and better chance yet if you speak directly with an owner.

Location?
I am a "short commute" sort of guy myself. Is your work in Cary?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM

Default Commute

My job is in RTP but I also am able to work remotey so commute times are not critically important as is finding a family-oriented community with children the same age groups(toddlers) as ours. Max price is 350,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary