Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:40 AM

335 posts, read 800,932 times

Advertisements

NewUser, would you mind elaborating on your experience a bit more? I'm considering the Flash and Illustrator CS3 courses. You can PM me if you prefer.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 06:53 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
NewUser, would you mind elaborating on your experience a bit more? I'm considering the Flash and Illustrator CS3 courses. You can PM me if you prefer.
Thank you!

Sure. I took 3 classes through ed2go. All 3 were computer programming classes.

I would say that the classes were very basic. For example, the first class that I took was called "Introduction to C++ Programming", but it should have been called "Introduction to Programming using C++". You see the difference? I wanted a class that dealt more with the unique aspects of the language, but I got a lot of info about loop statements, decision statements, etc. . . . . .basic programming stuff. And once you took the first class, there were no follow up classes. There was no "Intermediate C++" or "Advanced C++", which I would have definitely taken.

I will say that the course materials were well thought out and the instructors were very nice, easy to get in touch with, and helpful. In ed2go's case, a lesson is not presented by an instructor. . . . . you read a lesson and do the assignment and if you have problems you can contact the instructor through an online forum. The instuctor has dozens of students enrolled simultaneously at various community colleges around the country.

The price could not be beat ($55 through Wake Tech) and it was so convenient to do the homework on my own PC at my convenience. I would have rather taken a live class at the school, but I have 2 young children and my schedule was not that flexible. I usually did the assignments after they went to bed. One thing that annoyed me was that I had to open up the privacy settings on my PC's internet settings to view the lessons, and would forget to set it back, so the next day I'd have tons of adware/cookies on my PC.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:03 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1803 View Post
I am looking to take a class to finish my degree. Here is what i am looking for.

Inexpensive
preferably online
preferably self paced or roling start date

it needs to be an acredited institution for the credit to transfer. I know this is a tall order but if anyone has any input i would appreciate it.
There are at least 4 senior public/private institutions and 5 community colleges within the RTP area - google them or visit. ALL have distance ed courses that will transfer. Continuing Ed courses, e.g., ed2go, will NOT transfer as curriculum credit to meet degree completion requirements.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Distance learning for community colleges in NC:
Show Folder Page

NC State distance learning:
NC State Distance Learning Education Courses

UNC @ Chapel Hill distance learning:
Distance Education at UNC-Chapel Hill: Friday Center Carolina Courses Online

Duke has distance learning described within specific schools
http://www.duke.edu

Old 06-27-2009, 05:18 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
ed2go, will NOT transfer as curriculum credit to meet degree completion requirements.
YES. That is something that I neglected to mention. One should not sign up for ed2go classes with the intention of using them for college credit. I guess that I was commenting more on the "online course" part of the question rather than the "finish my degree" part.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:01 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,216 times
Capella University. Online Education Degree Program - Online Degree Programs - Online University Degrees (I used to work there). Accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Strong School of IT. Offering pathways toward Bachelors, Masters and PhD. Also offers Certificate Programs and Continuing Ed.

Not cheap, just as expensive as some bricks-and-mortar schools, but you can't beat the convenience of full-online learning on an excellent platform.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:14 AM

335 posts, read 800,932 times
Thanks for the reply, NewUser. That was very helpful. I'll take another look at the Illustrator course and see if it contains a lot of generic "how-to" lessons on basic photo manipulation and design elements, which I don't need. I think the Flash course is going to be just right.

And yes, ECU does have a great distance education program that's relatively easy to sign up for. My father and I took classes from the Psychology department a few years back when the program was someone nascent and had good experiences. I imagine it's gotten even better since then. The classes are not self-paced, though. But they absolutely count as full credit.
Options for Adult Learners (http://www.ecu.edu/options/distanceed.cfm - broken link)

Old 06-27-2009, 07:28 PM

13 posts, read 46,654 times
Walden University offers a good selection, but it depends on what you need to complete your degree. However, they are not self paced, but do offer enough time to get your course completed, granted you don't goof around.

I will tell you they can be difficult and you will certainly earn your degree!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Sure. I took 3 classes through ed2go. All 3 were computer programming classes.

I would say that the classes were very basic. For example, the first class that I took was called "Introduction to C++ Programming", but it should have been called "Introduction to Programming using C++". You see the difference? I wanted a class that dealt more with the unique aspects of the language, but I got a lot of info about loop statements, decision statements, etc. . . . . .basic programming stuff. And once you took the first class, there were no follow up classes. There was no "Intermediate C++" or "Advanced C++", which I would have definitely taken.

I will say that the course materials were well thought out and the instructors were very nice, easy to get in touch with, and helpful. In ed2go's case, a lesson is not presented by an instructor. . . . . you read a lesson and do the assignment and if you have problems you can contact the instructor through an online forum. The instuctor has dozens of students enrolled simultaneously at various community colleges around the country.

The price could not be beat ($55 through Wake Tech) and it was so convenient to do the homework on my own PC at my convenience. I would have rather taken a live class at the school, but I have 2 young children and my schedule was not that flexible. I usually did the assignments after they went to bed. One thing that annoyed me was that I had to open up the privacy settings on my PC's internet settings to view the lessons, and would forget to set it back, so the next day I'd have tons of adware/cookies on my PC.
Ironically, I found this thread through google instead of the forum search. I know this is from 2009, but I'd be curious to know if anyone took the intermediate classes for programming, like Java. It's $300+$100 for a community college class vs $105 for everything.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 PM

317 posts, read 826,184 times
You might want to try Ole Miss. I am taking a class with them right now. They have rolling enrollment, obviously accredited, you have up to a year to finish the class, and can take your proctored exams at any Univ or college. There is an older learner credit. I think if your over 28 you get a 3 credit class for $300 (one time only). Independent Study at the University of Mississppi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary