Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corlyjones View Post
Thank you for all the replies - I have been thoroughly researching all of your helpful suggestions! I still do not have a good grasp as to where in Durham my husband's new position will be. I believe it is downtown, I know it is across from the new Durham Bulls Stadium, and the company is called McKinney.

It does look like infact we will be accepting the position and moving early this Fall. ANY continued advice/suggestions would be so greatly appreciated (and NEEDED - as we have NEVER stepped foot on North Carolina soil). We will be living in corporate housing for up to 3 months until we find the neighborhood/schools/house that works for us.

I have a few random questions (some of these coming from my 4 & 6 year olds):
Are there a lot of snakes in backyards? Not really. For 4 and 6 year olds: "No."
Is the Triangle area in general friendly to midwestern newcomers? Yep.
Are there many stay-at-home moms in these family-friendly planned communities? Deferring to others here...
I am guessing we don't need our sleds/snowboards/snowblower...correct? Don't bring your snowblower. I have one I will sell REAL cheap...
How is North Carolina for children with asthma/environmental allergies?
We do have allergens around. I can't live without my Allegra.
Minnesota is pretty awful, so I am not worried about it being bad as much as I am hoping it may be an improvement.

Thanks again - this board has been invaluable to me!
Corly
Good luck with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,896,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I am guessing we don't need our sleds/snowboards/snowblower...correct? Don't bring your snowblower. I have one I will sell REAL cheap...
Keep the sleds and any (good, sturdy, northern) snow shovels. You'll be very popular when it snows (as it does occasionally).

Old 07-10-2009, 02:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
I still do not have a good grasp as to where in Durham my husband's new position will be. I believe it is downtown, I know it is across from the new Durham Bulls Stadium, and the company is called McKinney.
That's right downtown. Congrats (to him)--McKinney-Silver is a very prestigious company! Their office is in a very cool, very recently-remodeled former factory that is the "hot spot" of Durham right now! If you look on a map of Durham, look for the "downtown loop" and it's right on the Southern edge of that.

Quote:
Are there a lot of snakes in backyards?
No--I live in a reasonably "woodsy" area and almost never see one. I grew up here and have NEVER seen a poisonous one outdoors, even when playing in woods/creeks as a kid. Copperheads are by far the most prominent venomous snake in NC, but they are still fairly rare. You might see a black snake or a garter snake (nonpoisonous) once is a while, but it's good for kids to grow up knowing about snakes and that most of them are good to have around (and I say this as someone who is NOT crazy about the critters, myself!)

Quote:
Is the Triangle area in general friendly to midwestern newcomers?
As long as you are friendly back! And I wouldn't recommend ever using the phrases "Up north, we used to do it like this..." except in a very casual or joking way--after 40 years of influx from the North, most locals are tired of hearing "how you did it where you came from"

Quote:
I am guessing we don't need our sleds/snowboards/snowblower...correct?
We DO get snow here, though certainly not what you are used to! I grew up in NC and always had a sled. Snowblowers are NOT necessary, but a snow shovel comes in handy as we do get 4-6" (which is "deep" for us) about once a winter, usually (although we had almost no snow from 2005-2008, unusual for here). And remember the above advice about not saying "Up North, we _____"? That definitely goes for snow! You wil undoubtedly find it positively laughable how everything shuts down here for 2-3" of snow, but please don't make fun of the locals because of this...we don't have nearly the amount of snow removal equipment nor the "culture of snow" here that you are used to and most schools close when there are 2" on the roads, sometimes less. It's just something you'll have to adjust to, living here!

Quote:
How is North Carolina for children with asthma/environmental allergies?
LOTS of pollen in the spring, so not the most allergy-friendly place in the world. I had asthma as a child and it seems like I had a stopped up nose for about 12 years straight. But, I don't think it would be considered debilitating.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:09 PM

80 posts, read 270,165 times
Snakes--copperheads mostly, they like the wooded areas! Be careful.
Friendly to everyone, lots of southern hospitality.
Stay-at-home mom's are everywhere, and stay-at-home Dad's too!
Sometimes we get lucky and are able to use some of our snow-toys, but I would sell the snowblower, it melts just after you've had fun in it for awhile and way before you would need to shovel or use your northern gear!
My kids never had allergies, but it does hit some kids pretty bad for those few times of the year that things are floating around in the air. Probably not much different then Minnesota.
Good luck on your move and your baby--let the fun begin!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:57 PM

606 posts, read 901,681 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the replies - I have been thoroughly researching all of your helpful suggestions! I still do not have a good grasp as to where in Durham my husband's new position will be. I believe it is downtown, I know it is across from the new Durham Bulls Stadium, and the company is called McKinney.

It does look like infact we will be accepting the position and moving early this Fall. ANY continued advice/suggestions would be so greatly appreciated (and NEEDED - as we have NEVER stepped foot on North Carolina soil). We will be living in corporate housing for up to 3 months until we find the neighborhood/schools/house that works for us.

Are there many stay-at-home moms in these family-friendly planned communities?
How is North Carolina for children with asthma/environmental allergies? Minnesota is pretty awful, so I am not worried about it being bad as much as I am hoping it may be an improvement.

Corly
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
No need for your snowblower. When it snows the whole place pretty much shuts down.
I never really see snakes but that will be relative to where you live.
There are a lot of stay at home moms. A great place to connect with all the mommies in the area is TriangleMommies.com--the Triangle area of North Carolina's Mom-to-Mom Connection you can ask all the questions about schools, find people that live subdivisions you are looking at, extra curriculars. etc.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:04 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,931,954 times
Quote:
Are there many stay-at-home moms in these family-friendly planned communities?
How is North Carolina for children with asthma/environmental allergies? Minnesota is pretty awful, so I am not worried about it being bad as much as I am hoping it may be an improvement.

Corly
Snakes? I heard there were but haven't seen any yet.

Friendly? Very much so.

Snow equipment? Sell it before you get here.

I lived in the Twin Cities for 4 years and can tell you I much prefer it here.

As far as allergies, I have hay fever (grass pollen) but it wasn't nearly as bad as it was in the Midwest. However, when the pine pollen is shedding in April, it might be challenging for you.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:53 PM

28 posts, read 71,333 times
Quote:
Depends on where you live. The areas near creeks, ponds, wetlands, will definitely have snakes. The only snakes I have seen where I live is the black snake. Harmless and keeps away mice )
Is the Triangle area in general friendly to midwestern newcomers? Yes. Honestly, with the economy like it has been around the country, we have open arms for newcomers!! Buying houses, shopping at stores, eating at restaurants, and some starting businesses of their own....all what's keeping our economy strong!
Are there many stay-at-home moms in these family-friendly planned communities? Yes there sure are....many stay at home parents in all income levels
I am guessing we don't need our sleds/snowboards/snowblower...correct? No no! Don't sell your sleds or snowboards! You won't get any money for them and just as soon as you sell them, it will snow! Build a suspension shelf in your garage and store them. Your kids are at the age that even with a slight dusting they would want to get out in it and play! The snowblower might could go...or you could use it as a leaf blower ??? Don't know if they have the same power in blowing.
How is North Carolina for children with asthma/environmental allergies?That would be a very individual question. We have alot of kids and adults with allergies. Some seasons are worse than others. The National Weather Forecast posts air quality reports that are accessible online. Color coded for intensity. Their link is here Air Quailty Forecasts - NWS Raleigh, NC
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
So C'mon Down!!! :O)

Old 07-10-2009, 05:12 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,334,655 times
Hi corlyjones,

What a great location your husband will be working!

Others have mentioned great neighborhoods in Durham and Hillsborough, like Treyburn and Churton Grove. There is also Hardscrabble. It is a Hillsborough address in Durham County (so Durham schools, taxes, etc). I grew up across the street from there and my parents still live there so I visit often. It's on the outskirts of town with a country like setting. The developement started in the early 90's and there are newer homes too, including lots an acre or more. I went to the schools there and to this day they are still some of the best schools in the Triangle area. There is going to be a new middle school in the next few years built near Treyburn. I am sure that area will be districted to it and based on the standards up there I am sure it will be a great school.

I also really like Churton Grove which is a newer community with half acre lots and I believe some go up to an acre. I love this neighborhood b/c of its proximity to downtown Hillsborough and all the trees that they left standing. These neighborhoods are very family friendly and will take about 15-20 minutes for your husband to get to work. Treyburn is a little bit further out in northern Durham (right before you get to Bahama) and also a great community to check out. The other neighborhoods mentioned are really nice too and closer to town, with smaller lots if you don't mind that. Definitely check out all that you can!

Both Durham and Hillsborough are progressive and lean on the liberal side. They are close for you to enjoy Chapel Hill too!

Congrats on your baby girl and good luck with everything!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:04 PM

35 posts, read 85,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT ROCKS View Post
Snakes--copperheads mostly, they like the wooded areas! Be careful.
Friendly to everyone, lots of southern hospitality.
Stay-at-home mom's are everywhere, and stay-at-home Dad's too!
Sometimes we get lucky and are able to use some of our snow-toys, but I would sell the snowblower, it melts just after you've had fun in it for awhile and way before you would need to shovel or use your northern gear!
My kids never had allergies, but it does hit some kids pretty bad for those few times of the year that things are floating around in the air. Probably not much different then Minnesota.
Good luck on your move and your baby--let the fun begin!

Copperheads are poisonous and prevalent as are black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders so watch where the little ones play.

Not a whole lot of southern hospitality. Just some occasional politeness depending on where you frequent. Chapel Hill / Carrboro is yuppie and still 1960's hippie-ish. Southernerns do get offended when you speak of your pride on what you did and how you did things up north but that's just non-sense. They tend to get sensitive over stupid things and sometimes even intimidated by out of towners but if they haven't gotten over it then hey,,,they'll have to live with it anyway cause out of towners or Yankees as they call us or transplants, whatever you get the picture.

Schools are ok depending where. Chapel Hill is a money district so chances you'll do better. NC as a whole does not meet the standards so that is a low grade over all. Back home up north it education is more advanced. Period....

Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,334,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta-NC View Post
Copperheads are poisonous and prevalent as are black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders so watch where the little ones play.

Not a whole lot of southern hospitality. Just some occasional politeness depending on where you frequent. Chapel Hill / Carrboro is yuppie and still 1960's hippie-ish. Southernerns do get offended when you speak of your pride on what you did and how you did things up north but that's just non-sense. They tend to get sensitive over stupid things and sometimes even intimidated by out of towners but if they haven't gotten over it then hey,,,they'll have to live with it anyway cause out of towners or Yankees as they call us or transplants, whatever you get the picture.

Schools are ok depending where. Chapel Hill is a money district so chances you'll do better. NC as a whole does not meet the standards so that is a low grade over all. Back home up north it education is more advanced. Period....
corlyjones,

Don't worry. It is very unlikely to come across rude and bitter people like this. The majority of natives and transplants are very nice and welcoming to those who are the same. You and your family will love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary