Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:39 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corlyjones View Post
OK, I need to get back on topic. I am trying to narrow down the search for an easy commute to downtown Durham for my husband - and a very family friendly area for me =) McKinney will be putting us up in Brier Creek while we transition and the relo people have said that is a 15 minute commute. Is that a good area to also be looking at housing? With 4 children and a move across the country, I'd like to make the switch as easy on them as possible. My oldest is 6 and will be entering 1st grade. I really like Chapel Hill but it seems that we really can't afford a whole lot there. We are also considering new construction - please let me know if that is foolish at this point/economy. Again, we are looking to stay around 500k or less. Thanks so much to all of you posting positive and helpful advice!

Corly
I think that Hope Valley Farms might be worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 04:04 PM

306 posts, read 883,366 times
Just wanted to add one thing about the allergy issue... the allergens can be really bad here. I know plenty of people that never had allergies before but developed them once they moved here. But other then medications, one thing that really does work is to buy the local honey. You can get it at the state farmers market in Raleigh. It seems to work best if you use the honey that is produced in roughly the same area that you're living in. One teaspoon a day in the spring is what we've done and it really made a difference. I'm sure this will be debatable to some on this forum, but at least honey is pretty good for you anyway!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 PM

23 posts, read 76,759 times
My wife and I just moved here from MI earlier in the year. This area is extremely accepting of transplants. There are people living here from all over the country. We are going to be soon be closing on a place in the Woodcroft community in Durham. This particular community is very active and has a community club house and pool. Your husband would have about a 15-20 minute commute to work. I work close to downtown Durham and it takes me about 12 minutes. My wife and I absolutely LOVE Durham for its food, people, and "living green" attitude. There is plenty to do in the Triangle area. The weather here is also great. You will love the fact that you can take a day trip to the ocean (2 hour drive) and you also have mountains not too far too for those camping trips that we love in the midwest. My wife has allergies, and has not had too much of an issue here. Thanks for the honey recommendation lunadesign...we'll have to try that. We both agree that this is the BEST move we could have made. We love everything about it. Quality of life is so great here. Let me know if you need anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary