Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 05:03 PM

22 posts, read 128,284 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone !

Are there any locals familiar with Holloway Street in Durham?

I'm planning on a 2 week exploration-vacation there, and the B & B that I'm interested in is located on Holloway Street.

As a female traveling alone, I just want to make sure it's a safe area.

All replies are most appreciated.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 05:37 PM

60 posts, read 215,091 times
Intrigued by your post. There are two sides of the coin to Holloway, IMO; between N. Roxboro St. and N. Miami Blvd. it can be a little scary at times with the hoodlums hanging out staring at you. That being said, I lived at the corner of Holloway and Park Ave. for a couple of years and never had a problem - except whenever I was working on my car and a guy would walk up behind me and ask for change. On a good note, the sheriffs deputies and city police are very common site along Holloway as it runs directly to downtown.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:40 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
I used to live near there and had to drive Holloway St. frequently and personally I didn't feel very safe. Safety is relative though, so you may just need to see for yourself. Like the PP said, there are police frequenting the area, but that should be a red flag right there. Just my 2 cents. Some opinions may differ.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:45 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
The B&B (The Blooming Garden Inn) is on a block with many old Victorian-era homes which have either been restored or in the process of being renovated. That particular end of Holloway close to downtown is pretty safe, in general.

Although I've never stayed at the inn, I've met the owners (Frank and Dolly). They're very nice people and I've only heard good things about the inn from people who have stayed there.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:59 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Tell Frank and Dolly I said, "Hi."
I put the roof on the flat porch on the third level several years ago.
(Hope it doesn't leak... )

Nice Folks.
I would stay at Blooming Garden without hesitation.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Matt View Post
Intrigued by your post. There are two sides of the coin to Holloway, IMO; between N. Roxboro St. and N. Miami Blvd. it can be a little scary at times with the hoodlums hanging out staring at you. That being said, I lived at the corner of Holloway and Park Ave. for a couple of years and never had a problem - except whenever I was working on my car and a guy would walk up behind me and ask for change. On a good note, the sheriffs deputies and city police are very common site along Holloway as it runs directly to downtown.
I wholeheartedly agree with this post. My kids used to go to school in that area and this is pretty accurate. But, as babytarheelz said, its relative. If you're from some other large urban areas, Holloway is a walk in the park in comparison. I find that the local hoodlums tend to be pretty benign. They'll say hi and give you directions. They don't tend to gather in large numbers on the street like where I'm from and make you fearful for your life if you perchance need to share the sidewalk.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:23 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I find that the local hoodlums tend to be pretty benign. They'll say hi and give you directions. They don't tend to gather in large numbers on the street like where I'm from and make you fearful for your life if you perchance need to share the sidewalk.
hoodlum: an aggressive and violent young criminal

They say "hi", give directions. What makes you think they're hoodlums?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe410 View Post
Hi Everyone !

Are there any locals familiar with Holloway Street in Durham?

I'm planning on a 2 week exploration-vacation there, and the B & B that I'm interested in is located on Holloway Street.

As a female traveling alone, I just want to make sure it's a safe area.

All replies are most appreciated.,
When we talk about "pockets" of bad crime in Durham, Holloway Street is exactly what we are talking about. Stay away from that area. There are many many safe areas in Durham and Holloway Street is NOT one of them.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
When we talk about "pockets" of bad crime in Durham, Holloway Street is exactly what we are talking about. Stay away from that area. There are many many safe areas in Durham and Holloway Street is NOT one of them.
Holloway Street runs from Roxboro St. downtown to the extreme eastern edge of the city, so to say that the entire street should be avoided is just not good advice. The particular area that the OP mentioned (the 500 block of Holloway) is NOT an area of "bad crime": the crime stats show that 5 crimes (mostly theft) were reported in that block between January and June of this year - hardly a high-crime area. A few blocks east, things are a bit more shady. However, the Durham PD just opened a new district substation in the 900 block of Holloway, and there are frequent police patrols in the area.

The success of the Blooming Garden Inn over the past 19 years (including many when crime in Durham was significantly worse than it is now) is evidence that that particular block is not one that should be absolutely avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary