Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM

27 posts, read 81,578 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there done a cross country move with a really good moving company?

There are SO MANY companies out there and I wanted some concrete advice before I started gathering quotes.

I appreciate you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,589 times
We actually went with ABF. They drop off a trailer, you load it, they drive it. From Boulder to Durham it was just over $2,000. We were pretty happy with the results and we would recommend them. But keep in mind that you need to utilize every foot of space in order to save money since you pay by the foot. You need a lot of spacial ability. As my husband said, it was a real life tetris game. If you have antiques or very very valuable things, then reconsider. Things got a little rattled. We lost a few wine glasses.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:03 PM

633 posts, read 2,542,144 times
Good to know how ABF is. We are planning on using them. We plan on taking any of our really irreplaceable stuff with us in the car and pack the rest in the trailer they drop off.

I noticed on their website that you can actually track your stuff as it goes across the country. I thought that was a neat feature.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,759,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon gal View Post
Has anyone out there done a cross country move with a really good moving company?

There are SO MANY companies out there and I wanted some concrete advice before I started gathering quotes.

I appreciate you all!
I have a friend who in the last year moved from Portland to Key West Fla and recommends Mayflower. Another friend moved from Va to Portland and recommended Mayflower as well. BUT after seeing the pp price of ABF from Boulder to NC I'm checking them out too!

Good luck! When are you moving? We are looking at end of June.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:16 PM

If you go with ABF make sure you request a ramp at both locations since it doesn't automatically come with it. It is free of charge but you have to reserve one or else it will be impossible. Also, keep in mind that you are responsible for all of your packing materials (straps, blankets, dolly). It did add up but the added cost was still worth it.

Good luck. When I reflect on the pain of our move, my chest caves in on me. I'm so glad it's over with. To anyone who is moving cross country, good luck. I feel your pain.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 PM

633 posts, read 2,542,144 times
thanks for the advice. I'm so excited about the move, I tend to forget all the work it's gonna take to get from point A to point B. Especially with kids, cats, hubby, etc. Fun Fun!!

But I can't wait til that day when we drive into Raleigh and I look at the kids and say, we're home!!

Hope everything goes well for everyone

Old 04-17-2007, 04:52 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,538 times
I'm curious about ABF-what was your experience in how they parked the trailer? Like, how much room did you need? I'm asking because we just started researching moving costs to Raleigh, and almost had heart failure...anyhow, where do they put the trailer?

Old 04-17-2007, 06:26 PM

The trailer was big, but not as big as I thought it would be. We parked it in the street in front of our house. They said that in order to park it in your driveway you have to have the same space as two parked cars back to back. We moved into an apartment and the driver was very capable at parking it in a tight spot. Not a problem at all. We called them when it was empty and they came and got it within 2 hours.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 PM
VSB

170 posts, read 798,551 times
Default Re: ABF

We used ABF to move from Charlottesville, VA to Chicago, IL and it was a great experience.

As noted above, you'll have to be an efficient packer to use the ABF option and make it affordable. We increased our efficiency by using a couple of hired hands from Craigslist on the unloading end. Often cheap, effective and trustworthy labor can be had for very reasonable prices creating a nice compromise between a full-service company and do-it-yourself.

We live just 1 mile north of downtown in a densely packed community of rowhouses. There is NO parking. However, the local Alderman's office provides signs to anyone who applies (within the ward) allowing you to post enforceable, temporary "Tow Zone" fliers to reserve a spot. Even in Chicago, we were able to make space for the truck. If it can be done in the middle of Chitown, it can be done anywhere . . .

Best of luck!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 PM

27 posts, read 81,578 times
You all are great - thanks for your insights.
I went to the PO and picked up the change of address packet and there was a coupon for ABF & Budget, so I'm going to get quotes from both.

Ok, just out of curiosity, how do you pronounce Farquay-Varina?
It's the first part I'm having trouble with ...sounds like I'm saying the F-word sort of.
Take Care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary