U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 AM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,286,067 times

Advertisements

Hi -- I don't mean to sound like one of those "up North we had" people, but here it goes

I grew up outside Philly and kids often went to "day camp" somewhere for a full 8-week session. The camps were not school or sport facilities that offered a camp, rather they were dedicated camp campuses -- they were usually a little bit out there, like on the outskirts of the burbs, and they had primarily outdoor facilities with all your usual activities like sports, archery, boating if there was a lake, swimming in pool or lake, perhaps horseback riding, arts and crafts. Parents dropped off and picked up 8 AM - 3PM, or so.

Contrast this with what is here. The camps are usually focused on a particular sport or activity and are often based inside in places that have year-round programs. My son is at the YMCA half-day camp in Cary, which is awesome for him -- he is only three. Last year the Y did 2-week sessions but now they are doing 1-week session. I totally understand since, because of the cost, many families would be able to better afford 1-week, although you can sing up for multiple sessions the kids are switching out each week.

Do these camps exist here? Are they a thing of the past? Perhaps no one can afford this kind of thing anymore?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 AM

82 posts, read 232,556 times
Default there are camps like this, but for school aged

kids...day camps like riverlea in northern durham & chestnut ridge (in mebane i think?). there are more camps with the activities you described, but they are outside of the triangle & they are overnight camps.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 AM

871 posts, read 2,922,992 times
Do you just have the 3 year old, and are thinking ahead for him? Or do you have more than one kid and have to juggle (like I do)? Where do you live?

We live in Cary and our two sons have spent the past few years bouncing around to different camps offered by the Town of Cary, really terrific programs. The Herb Young center all-day basketball camp, the herpetology camp at Hemlock Bluffs, Teen Adventure at Bond Park, Cary Academy science camp, robotics, football, you name it. They would surely stagnate and be bored to tears if they had to remain at one location for 8 weeks (of course I only speak for my kids. Others may not).

I grew up in Mass. and attended all-day camps that included all the activities you listed. It was awesome, and at 49 I still remember many details of those days. I can't help you with whether or not those exist around here, but there are way more avenues open here and now than we had as kids. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 AM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,286,067 times
Thanks to both of you - I will check out the ones listed in the first reply. Although we are in Cary and they are probably too far I will still look because I am curious.

Yes, we are in Cary and I am thinking ahead for him -- and just curious, really. My daughter is still a baby so it's a ways off for her. I always look in Carolina Parent and the like and wondered why I didn't see any advertised. After I went to day camp when I was younger, when I was about 10 I went to overnight camp in Vermont (all-girls) and had an awesome time. I did that and also an overnight riding camp in W. Virginia, for several years. I don't think it was as expensive (relatively) back then -- now perhaps the cost is prohibitive for many. Even the camp I went to that was 8 weeks back then (in VT) had switched to 2 4-week sessions when I was a counselor there 15 years ago. Times change! Thanks for the mention of other good programs in Cary.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:40 AM

871 posts, read 2,922,992 times
Sorry I didn't post the link the first time. We heartily endorse the programs offered by Cary. The handbook listing all the programs is very extensive.

Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Home Page (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/prhome.htm#RecPrograms - broken link)

Old 06-29-2009, 12:16 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,828,674 times
I think what you describe is a little bit of a thing of the past because most facility owners cannot afford to maintain a facility like that and insure it and use it only for the summer. Even the YMCA, which does own several overnight camps locally at Camp Kanata and near the beach at Camps Seagull and Seafarer, has offerings there year round (family camp night, etc.).

Also, year-round schools have created a market for year-round camps. The YMCA offers full-day camps year round during school breaks for kids of school age; the half-day camps like the program you are using are really only for preschoolers.

If you are specifically looking for horseback riding, a couple of local horseback facilities offer camps closer to what you describe. I know this is one: Horseback Riding Camp in Raleigh, NC at Dead Broke Horse Farm (http://www.deadbrokehorsefarm.com/summercamp.htm - broken link) You may want to check old threads on horseback riding for others.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM

57 posts, read 243,222 times
My son currently goes to Ranoca West at Umstead park on the Raleigh/Cary line and loves it.
It is run by the city of Raleigh. The camp at Umstead Park does not have a swimming lake but it does have a lake they canoe in. They go to the Ranoca at Durant park for swimming on Thursdays and go to a pool on Tuuesdays.
They have a lot of boating, arts and crafts, nature hikes, etc..
It is also only 105/week if you live in Raleigh, 115/week if you live elsewhere.
I think the ages for the camp are 6-10, the city does offer a large variety of interesting camps.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 PM

57 posts, read 243,222 times
Oh sorry, Just wanted to add. We are from Connecticut so it is very typical to me of the camps that my son went to up there (just about $100/week less)!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:01 PM

82 posts, read 232,556 times
Default thought of another

camp - camp new hope, in hillsborough, not far from chapel hill (west chap hill maybe? camp is on 86) the camp does alot of different activities. its a weekly deal & I think they have extended hours.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:23 PM

836 posts, read 3,352,502 times
Camp Kanata in Wake Forest is the kind you are thinking of. You can come for the day or stay overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary