Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,666 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move to Raleigh but I recently found out about nuclear power plants near Raleigh. I also read about the possible construction of more reactors.
Does anybody know about these and the implications ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2006, 01:09 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
I'm only aware of 3 plants in the state. The closest one to Raleigh is the Harris plant operated by Progress Energy. The plant is located 22 miles SW of Raleigh, near the town of New Hill. It's been in operation for almost 20 years. The plant has never had a shutdown or an accident but has been fined twice by the NRC.

As far as new ones go, I don't think the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission has issued a new construction permit for anywhere in the U.S in over 30 years.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-03-2006 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-03-2006, 04:34 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Red face here in NY

we have one in Connecticut but if there was a problem we would be affected since it is less than 30 miles away as the crow flies. Mercifully there have been no problems. It's always something, if we want power we have to have power plants...

Old 04-04-2006, 11:17 PM

23 posts, read 112,261 times
Default nuclear power plant

There was some talk recently about building another reactor at Harris, but with the recent security issues, I don't see it happening. I go out there a lot because there is a wonderful park and lake there. I've never had any concern with the plant.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,486 times
wouldn't worry all that much about it. Anything from here to Richmond, VA and South to Charleston would probably be quite affected by any kind of major "accident".

Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Current Operating Nuclear Power Reactors located within NC

Brunswick (2 miles north of Southport) - Two reactors on site.

McGuire (17 miles northwest of Charlotte) - Two reactors on site.

Shearon Harris (20 miles southwest of Raleigh) - One reactor on site.

Progress Energy currently has an application pending with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for the construction of additional reactors at the Shearon Harris site.

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/new-licensing/new-licensing-files/expected-new-rx-applications.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 05-01-2007 at 01:22 PM..

Old 05-01-2007, 01:17 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurabella View Post
There was some talk recently about building another reactor at Harris, but with the recent security issues, I don't see it happening. I go out there a lot because there is a wonderful park and lake there. I've never had any concern with the plant.
Actually, from the news I've been hearing, it seems rather certain that they're going to be able to put more reactors online. The plant was built to support 4 reactors, and they're only running 1 right now.

Although, I'd rather have a nuclear power plant next to me than a coal power plant any day. Coal power plants release way more radioactivity into the environment than nuclear power plants (since coal has small amounts of radioactive elements in it), and they also release other nasty things into the air like mercury and sulphur.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
I am contemplating a move to Raleigh but I recently found out about nuclear power plants near Raleigh. I also read about the possible construction of more reactors.
Does anybody know about these and the implications ?
What implications? There isn't an area of the country that doesn't have a plant, and as things go, this one is safe.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:31 PM

217 posts, read 800,117 times
Actually there are states that do not have nuclear power plants. (maine and montana are two that come to mind...I am sure there are more.) However I don't see them as too much a problem but they do give me a twinge....I think it is the same for other people too...

Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
I grew up about as far away from a nuclear power plant as the Shearon Harris plant is from Raleigh and there's nothing wrong with me!

All jokes aside, I do not think there is much reason to worry since catastrohpic events such as meltdowns are extremely rare if you look at the history of plants operating within the US and around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary