Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 AM

28 posts, read 71,373 times

Advertisements

Hi lyssny,

The housing that you are inquiring about was not approved.
And just to clarify, it was not Section 8. It is for Tax Credit, which is a different subsidy plan and not as easy to get into.
See: Low-Income Housing Tax Credit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
for details on income percentages, etc.Here is another link to frequently asked questions about the tax credit housing. The rent is not based on the person's income. Their income determines if they qualify for the program or not.
Tax Credit Housing - Tax Credit Housing FAQ

This development was supposed to go in on Franklin Street side of Heritage Subdivision across from the schools. It was submitted in March, 2009 and came before the Town of Wake Forest Board of Commissioners in May, 2009. The plan was for 60 units and did not meet environmental criteria. The developer had the units sitting in a wetlands setback area. The plan requested a 50' variance from this wetland setback. The Board denied the plan. The developer has not as of this date, submitted a new proposal. We do not know if they will submit a revised plan, but I was told that the developer would have several other stringent criteria by the Town of Wake Forest that they would have to meet before such a project would be met. To clarify, the wetlands setback is not the only criteria that has to be met in order for this project to be approved.
See link here for the Board of Commissioners May 19th meeting. Specifically Section 9 A
Board of Commissioners

These types of housing all across the triangle. North Raleigh, Wakefield, Brier Creek. The units integrate with the traditional housing to where many folks don't even realize that they are subsidized.

Last edited by autumngal; 06-30-2009 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: no soliciting or signatures please, ty

Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKillian View Post
Hi lyssny,

The housing that you are inquiring about was not approved.
And just to clarify, it was not Section 8. It is for Tax Credit, which is a different subsidy plan and not as easy to get into.
See: Low-Income Housing Tax Credit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
for details on income percentages, etc.Here is another link to frequently asked questions about the tax credit housing. The rent is not based on the person's income. Their income determines if they qualify for the program or not.
Tax Credit Housing - Tax Credit Housing FAQ

This development was supposed to go in on Franklin Street side of Heritage Subdivision across from the schools. It was submitted in March, 2009 and came before the Town of Wake Forest Board of Commissioners in May, 2009. The plan was for 60 units and did not meet environmental criteria. The developer had the units sitting in a wetlands setback area. The plan requested a 50' variance from this wetland setback. The Board denied the plan. The developer has not as of this date, submitted a new proposal. We do not know if they will submit a revised plan, but I was told that the developer would have several other stringent criteria by the Town of Wake Forest that they would have to meet before such a project would be met. To clarify, the wetlands setback is not the only criteria that has to be met in order for this project to be approved.
See link here for the Board of Commissioners May 19th meeting. Specifically Section 9 A
Board of Commissioners

These types of housing all across the triangle. North Raleigh, Wakefield, Brier Creek. The units integrate with the traditional housing to where many folks don't even realize that they are subsidized.
GREAT INFO! However, I have heard that this is going to come up AGAIN and "could" be changed.

To stay ahead of the information, I'd go DIRECTLY to the SOURCE and make sure you get a name to document what you have been told.

And...getting the info. in writing from the source is always the best!

Vicki

Old 06-30-2009, 10:12 AM

28 posts, read 71,373 times
Default Heritage

Vicki,
I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I haven't researched this. I spoke with Jim at the Town of Wake Forest Planning Board and I spoke with Andy Ammons at Ammons Development. There is a possibility that this plan may be resubmitted but as I said, as of this date, no new proposal has been submitted, and it will have to meet other criteria by the planning board.
As for getting it in writing, check out the website that I linked in. I don't think anyone needs anything in writing when they can view the meeting in progress and see that the 50' variance was denied. )
Thanx for the advice though. Any realtor worth their salt already knows these steps.

The information gathering process is always ongoing for us realtors so I would greatly appreciate if you would please share who you spoke with when you said "I have heard that this will come up again". Thanx a million!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKillian View Post
Vicki,
I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I haven't researched this. I spoke with Jim at the Town of Wake Forest Planning Board and I spoke with Andy Ammons at Ammons Development. There is a possibility that this plan may be resubmitted but as I said, as of this date, no new proposal has been submitted, and it will have to meet other criteria by the planning board.
As for getting it in writing, check out the website that I linked in. I don't think anyone needs anything in writing when they can view the meeting in progress and see that the 50' variance was denied. )
Thanx for the advice though. Any realtor worth their salt already knows these steps.

The information gathering process is always ongoing for us realtors so I would greatly appreciate if you would please share who you spoke with when you said "I have heard that this will come up again". Thanx a million!
Ummm, I actually gave you a rep point for researching this and sharing the info. so I'm not sure what you misunderstood!

The info. that I got came directly from a resident that lives on this street as she and I have been in contact concerning this.

Vicki

Old 06-30-2009, 06:27 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
Thanks Skillian! We can always count on you!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:37 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Actually, if the economy worsens I suspect the government will buy more and more houses at TOP dollar in high dollar neighborhoods.... and rent them out as section 8's. But that is for another thread.. another day...
I'm looking forward to the day when the suburban McMansions are subdivided into three or four apartment homes, and hopefully it will be sooner, rather than later. There are too many unsellable, large homes on the market to not convert them into affordable housing.

Mike

Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Actually, if the economy worsens I suspect the government will buy more and more houses at TOP dollar in high dollar neighborhoods.... and rent them out as section 8's.
Actually, China is buying a lot of the foreclosers, unfortunately.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:49 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
I'm looking forward to the day when the suburban McMansions are subdivided into three or four apartment homes, and hopefully it will be sooner, rather than later. There are too many unsellable, large homes on the market to not convert them into affordable housing.

Mike
I actually think something like this is going to happen.. it isn't a matter of "if" but "when." Remember, we were all told its "good to spread the wealth around."
Really, it really isn't too far fetched...

Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 PM

161 posts, read 528,986 times
Please, don't turn this into another right-wing political blog. As any sensible person knows, there is absolutely no chance that the government will force people out of their single family McMansions.....

Old 09-08-2011, 12:28 PM

12 posts, read 15,276 times
Default Wakefield

I don't know of any section 8 housing near the YMCA in Wakefield. You must be confusing the Villages of Wakefield-Berkshire in the 27614 area code with the Berkshire Village in the 27616 area code, which is section 8 housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary