Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 05:51 PM

58 posts, read 202,044 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy an older used car (around $2500) for my son to use for school and work.

Does anyone know of a reputable dealer that sells older cars that are still fairly reliable?

Also, what's a good model of car to buy that would be less expensive on parts & labor for fixing things that just wear out on an older model?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 AM

214 posts, read 694,963 times
I know someone who bought his son a 9 year old buick I think from Cary Motorcars (something like that) for about $3k when he turned 16. Seemed happy enough with the dealer. Other than that dealer, there are tons of small used car lots along Rt 70 in eastern durham that will all have cars in that price range. Just have the car inspected by an independent mechanic and pay with cash.

Something like a buick would probably be a good bet because it was likely driven by an older person, had a lot fewer miles than equivalently priced cars, they are generally reliable to start with, its bigger (possibly therefore safer), and they are dirt cheap to fix. At that price range, most of the imports had a lot more miles and are going to be more expensive to repair. In particular, on most imports you will not be able to get reconditioned parts as easily and most imports you will come across are probably way past due for a timing belt replacement - which can cost upwards of $1000.

I will tell you one thing though - no matter what, never give your teenage son a van!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 AM

129 posts, read 303,995 times
Westgate Imports - Raleigh, North Carolina - Home

Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 AM

231 posts, read 494,978 times
A lot of cars, 3119 N. Roxboro, Durham
A Lot of Cars
919-220-7155

Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,321 times
Might want to try Fast Cash for Cars on Glenwood near carmax. They get a decent amount of old cars.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 PM

93 posts, read 645,880 times
I highly recommend Belmonte Auto Imports on Capital Blvd in Raleigh. They are very nice people, and very reasonable and easy to deal with. They stand behind their vehicles and will take care of you any way they can, from my experience.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
For cars in that price range you are better off buying from a private seller and getting it checked out at your mechanics shop.

I disagree w/ the poster above about imports. You can find a mid-mileage Volvo, mid 90's vintage, that are easy to learn to work on and will run for another 100k-150k without major repairs. A timing belt on that car is $26 ordered online and I fixed it myself using a Haynes manual and a writeup I found online for free. I had never done it before. If you have to pay someone you are looking at around $250-$300 total.

Imports will outlast a domestic car anyday, and cost less in the long run because they are of higher quality.

Also look at subarus. 4WD which is unnecessary in our climate but they are reliable as heck.

I'd also stick to a manual transmission, worst case scenario you replace the clutch. A tranny in an auto is going to run $1500+ even for a used one, $3000+ for a new one. Just make sure the synros are good when you test drive it.

If I was looking at buying a car for my kid (actually I wounldn't be, he would be buying it...) I would look at

• Mid-90's Volvo 850's (based upon my knowledge and experience with them, and their safety aspect as well as ease of working on)
  • Mid 90's Camrys (reliable)
  • Mid 90's Civics (reliable)
  • Mid 90's to later 90's Subarus (although check around in the automotive forum here, there is a certain engine that is prone to head gasket failure)
  • Later 90's to early 2000 Ford Focus if you can get it at a low enough mileage (<100k)

Old 06-30-2009, 02:25 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,399 times
I'm not sure of dealerships, but as far as cars, I've owned many Hondas with little to no problems. I think a Civic or Accord would be a great first car.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:29 PM

871 posts, read 3,017,377 times
I need to throw my plug in here for Subaru. Thank you to wheelsup for getting me started! I have driven Subaru Outback wagons for nearly 15 years. Bought the first one in late 1995 and drove it 170K miles before I was brutally rear-ended on the interstate and the car was totalled. The trooper said I should have died. My beloved Outback served me well.

I went out the next day and got a 2002. I have put one set of brake pads in it and virtually nothing else but regular maintenance and it's got 93K on it. I am a Subaru diehard. They may not be beautiful, but they are darned sturdy, safe and reliable. I drove till 2005 in New England winters and it is the safest car on the road. All-wheel drive. Safer on any surface.

The Volvo 850 suggestion is also very valid. Our neighbors in Mass. handed down grandpa's 850 to the college-aged daughter and she couldn't kill the thing. Over 200K when we moved down here.

I would spend some time LOOKING at dealers but shopping on craigslist. Best to you!

p.s. My son will be driving my Outback next year. I will then be buying my 3rd Outback.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
PM "sunsprit" for info and advice on Subarus. He is the one who knows which ones to get and which ones to avoid. My parents bought two Volvos and now have had two Subarus. They are up in NH though where they wanted the AWD. I had my dad's 2007(?) Outback for a weekend up in the mountains, they are nice cars but I'm still partial to Volvos, mostly for their more luxurious appointments .

But I agree, Subies are nice cars too, although I would personally only by a manual in them. AWD tends to eat trannies faster in my experience. You lose a few MPG with it as well, I get low 30's in my 850 and the best I could get my fathers Outback up to was around 25 going light on the pedal.

I'm not sure on repair costs. Volvos aren't too bad (less than Toyota by a long shot) for parts when you buy them online or even from our local dealer, Weaver Bros (whom I like a lot). I've never looked up Subaru parts.

If you narrow down your search to the Subaru it might be better to make a weekend of it up further north in say MA, NH, or VT. There is a MUCH wider selection of cars up there. My Volvo spent the first 9 years of its life in NH and doesn't have a single spec of rust, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary