Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:38 PM

68 posts, read 294,134 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year old son with PDD-NOS which is on the autism spectrum, he has a speech and social delay but is very smart cognitively. I've heard mixed messages about the special ed. system in Wake County because he will be set come the fall if we stay in NY I'm worried that we may not be making the right move for him. Come the fall he will be getting plenty of services and I've heard only severe children with diagnoses are being given the services and the moderate children are falling through the cracks. Any info??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 06:47 PM

10 posts, read 24,587 times
You guys have been great!!!! Someone with positive comments Please!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,310 times
I have a 3 1/2 year old with developmental and speech delays. We had our meeting today to review their findings and are pretty happy with the outcome and services offered (if not a bit overwhelmed). We were offered what we were hoping as far as services (interant teacher at the current school 2x week and speech therapy 2x week). If we are not happy with that we were told we can review after 9 weeks. We'll see what happens.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:19 AM

well thats a start! where are you living and what school does your child go to if you dont mind me asking. Now an iteneriate teacher does what??

Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 AM

214 posts, read 663,809 times
I don't know what kind of services there are through the city or public education system. I do know that there are several private schools that focus on special needs children. The one I am most familiar with is the Frankie Lemon School which runs out of the basement of the Hayes Barton Baptist Church.

There is a great story about how a mother received the test results and was told by the doctors that her child would never be able to live a normal life, etc. When the mother took the child to the Frankie Lemon School, the staff there refused to read the letters from the doctors. There quote was "those letters tell us what your child can't do. We're only interested in helping your achieve the things that it can do."

Unfortunately, these private schools have limited staff and can only take so many children. But there are services available.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:21 AM

We live in South Cary. She hasn't been assigned to a school for speech therapy yet, but that should happen in the next 2 weeks. The interant teacher will go to her current preschool/daycare to work with her in the setting she is already in (help her with transitioning from one activity to another, encouraging her to join in on activities she normally wouldn't, etc) She likes it there and we have seen improvement in her since she started in january so we will keep her there through the summer then reevaluate our decision. The other option was 2 hr 45 min Mon-Thur at a preschool for developmentally delayed children which we don't feel is the right decision at this time. That preschool runs on the traditional school year so she would be in that school only for 4 or 5 weeks before summer break then she would be completely without any structure or services for the summer.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:36 AM

thats exactly where i am because i think being around positive role models for him is a big plus. I was thinking of putting him in a private pre-school would be better for him, can you give any suggestions of private pre-schools. We are also going to the apex/cary area.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,215 times
I don't have school recommendations, but if your son needs private speech or OT, we absolutely LOVED this place:

http://www.developmentaltherapy.com/

Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Along with the seemingly endless church preschools I hear Triangle Academy Preschool off Kildaire Farm Rd in Cary is good.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:13 PM

thats funny i just got their number today and hope to get in touch with them, hopefully they are not booked because a lot of preschools already had registration in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary