Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

Any tips on how to keep deer out of my yard and garden. They are feasting on my square foot garden in N. Raleigh like it is a salad bar. I don't have a fence and I don't think I can put chicken wire up around the garden. Are there any home remedies or commercial repelents I can buy?

Please help me save my garden!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Good stuff.

Oh... Maybe you had something else in mind?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 PM

431 posts, read 1,337,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Any tips on how to keep deer out of my yard and garden. They are feasting on my square foot garden in N. Raleigh like it is a salad bar. I don't have a fence and I don't think I can put chicken wire up around the garden. Are there any home remedies or commercial repelents I can buy?

Please help me save my garden!

I'm having the same problems.......I have planted atleast 100 sunflowers....those little suckers are poking their head thru my wrought iron fence and eating my sunflowers that we all lined up along the fence line......they've also eaten all my hostas that I just bought......

I dont have a garden but if I did I'm sure they'd find a way into it....

I dont know first hand how well this works but its worth a try.....my next door neighbor has 2 small above ground planter boxes/gardens like you had posted pics of .....he read somewhere to break up bars of dove soap and put them around the perimiter of the garden and so far its intact....

The deer have worked hard at getting my plants thru a fence when next door they could walk right into his yard no fence and feast on a variety.....might be chance or it might work.....cant hurt to try it.....

If ya do let me know if it helps.......all i want is sunflowers....so far I have 3 left that were to far in for them to reach.....

Suzanne

Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 AM

191 posts, read 665,581 times
Maybe try eating the deer.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
NRG I know you post on the gardening forum. There are a zillion suggestions about deer from folks all over the USA. Some work and some don't. I rotate different recipes almost weekly and if I use the sprinklers for the yard and beds in the yard, I spray again. The other night I was outside around 11:30 in my nighrtgown, shoulder harness sprayer and flash light thinking I was safe from view when aloong come 11 ELEVEN cars to attend an after hours party thrown by my neighbors 17 year old daughter-folks out of town. I was horrified but kept right on spraying.

I am saving for a fence and a shotgun.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:08 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
The other week a deer (I assume) ate all the buds off my day lilies in the front yard. I thought someone had picked the flowers, but then I saw some half eaten buds! I don't think I have anything else deer would want to eat, though.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 AM

100 posts, read 242,877 times
you need multiple solutions

- wolf or human urine
- hot peppers
- human hair
- mechanical scarecrow that moves based on movement seen (sort of like automatic lights)
- like the scarecrow, an automatic noise maker (like a dog whistle, if the whistle doesn't scare of the deer, the dogs barking in the neighborhood likely will)
- 12ga., rifle, 45/50 cal handgun, or bow
- 17 foot or greater fence
- plant enough food for the deer and yourself in multiple locations

Old 07-02-2009, 05:50 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
What works for me is an automated, sensor triggered sprinkler system. I have several and it works quite well. When the deer get close, it shoots water at them. It is called a scarecrow. Cost about $100.00.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:59 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
suprisingly, we are having pretty good luck with the old "pie pan on a string" trick.... Just a cheapo aluminum pie pan on a string, on a metal stake. The slightest breeze will cause it to make some noise and scare them off. I figure it's only a matter of time before this becomes inneffective, but so far so good.

FWIW, sunflowers seem to be their favorite. We have a pretty good size garden (planted with a tractor, sized) and put sounflowers in between the corn. They ate the sunflower and left the corn to be eaten up by the drought.

Our cukes, tomatoes, peppers, okra and squash have been kicking "butt". I think the corn is going to be a bust.

Good luck.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:21 AM

21 posts, read 63,475 times
i have heard the human hair part works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary