Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 AM

157 posts, read 617,137 times

Advertisements

I think the area of downtown Durham would be good for you as well based on what your needs are...Check this one out...If I was in the market, I would have gotten this one...Moderator cut: advertising/link to local realtor I live in Elm Grove which is in Hope Valley Farms (27713). I like where I'm at since it's a really safe area with a supermarket & blockbuster at walking distance...Shopping is also really close by with the mall being 5-10 minutes away and the 15/501 shopping district at 10 minutes away as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
I think the area of downtown Durham would be good for you as well based on what your needs are...Check this one out...If I was in the market, I would have gotten this one... I live in Elm Grove which is in Hope Valley Farms (27713). I like where I'm at since it's a really safe area with a supermarket & blockbuster at walking distance...Shopping is also really close by with the mall being 5-10 minutes away and the 15/501 shopping district at 10 minutes away as well...
I would agree 100% on the Hope Valley area. I love the 500 N. Duke St. building too (my wife and I looked at it, too, as a place in which to buy a condo.) I'd note that there's been a *lot* of appreciation at 500 N. Duke since we started looking a couple of years ago. American Tobacco will be coming online with condos in the next year or so.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:07 AM

133 posts, read 587,079 times
Does any know much about about the 27712 zip in durham

Old 04-19-2007, 01:37 PM

156 posts, read 920,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
I think the area of downtown Durham would be good for you as well based on what your needs are...Check this one out...If I was in the market, I would have gotten this one... I live in Elm Grove which is in Hope Valley Farms (27713). I like where I'm at since it's a really safe area with a supermarket & blockbuster at walking distance...Shopping is also really close by with the mall being 5-10 minutes away and the 15/501 shopping district at 10 minutes away as well...
Wow.. Very nice.. I would love a unique building like that.. I never heard of American Tobacco, But I wonder if they will have such nice lofty units.. The price is un-beatable.. I found something right in Down-town. at 400K price tag. Not happy with that, but I am buying life-style.. Guess retirement is out of the question now.. LOL... Thanks for both of the listings guys..

Old 04-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
Wow.. Very nice.. I would love a unique building like that.. I never heard of American Tobacco, But I wonder if they will have such nice lofty units.. The price is un-beatable.. I found something right in Down-town. at 400K price tag. Not happy with that, but I am buying life-style.. Guess retirement is out of the question now.. LOL... Thanks for both of the listings guys..
You're not going to find *much* that has the same characteristics as 500 N Duke -- it's an old authentic building, whereas *most* of the residential going in at American Tobacco will be new construction buildings mixed in with old tobacco warehouses. There will be a couple of old warehouses (in Phase II, which is finishing up now -- the rest of residential is just starting construction in Phase III) that have apartments and a few condos.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:40 AM

237 posts, read 914,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
I have been reading this forum and thank all of you with all of your help!!!
I have still not figured out where I want to be.. Although Cary/Morrisville/Apex fits the bill but is so costly..

I am now trying to figure out Durham... Is there one certain area I should look at.. Schools not an issue.. I am looking for 300K or less.. Townhome OK..
I saw the website on the streets at Southpoint and liked it alot.. Is that considered a " Good" part of Durham? Thanks again...
Im also looking at cary , apex and holly springs go to crime compare.com and compare durham to cary. let me know what you think..I found alot of nice homes for around 250 in apex and more in holly springs, few in cary. They are a little older that's because it is a more desirable area that's why they are more but I would rather have maybe a little smaller house or a little older one in a nicer area. There are alot of nice areas in durham but sometimes they are too close to the bad areas for me. Go to that site and you will see it has the highest crime by a mile of all the towns / cities in the triangle and durham people will get mad that i said that ,,, o well its the truth.... The schools have much better scores in cary and apex,, example north durham - 132 , south durham -93 and hillside high - 85 ... cary - 179 , apex 178.5 I need not explain higher is better in these cases double of the 2 in durham. So call me crazy but i prefer to not pick a city with the highest crime and worst schools.When others have far less crime and much better schools. Just my opinion . If and when you sell schools may be an issue to who your selling to. so buying in a better school district is ALWAYS a better move.

Last edited by bull136; 04-21-2007 at 04:07 AM..

Old 04-21-2007, 06:50 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
I think Bull City Rising said it best, so I will post a portion of one of his previous posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Bull136, with all due respect, I do not understand why it is relevant to raise this alarm on each and every thread posted on city-data about Durham.

First of all, if I understand correctly, you live in Las Vegas currently, not the Triangle. I don't think it's possible to understand the contexts in which these cities here must be understood without living in the area.

Secondly, as I've posted here numerous times, there are pockets of Durham (and Raleigh, and other towns in the area) that have issues with crime/drugs/etc. These are particular well-known areas which exist in every city and are avoided. I have neighbors who have lived here in Durham for 10, 15 years and have never experienced crime.

Third, yes, Cary had no murders last year, IIRC. Cary is also a relatively socioeconomically exclusive community that is highly suburban. Not everyone wants to live a suburban lifestyle and not everyone is willing to trade-off a sense of "safety" for the cultural and lifestyle elements within a city.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
For those of you that live in Durham, I'm glad you are happy there. However, with the school scores being what they are and the crime stats being what they are, even if you have no kids, consider appreciation. Durham does not appreciate as well as Cary or North Raleigh. It is my choice not to live in Durham and I don't mean to knock it but when a client asks me WHY I choose not to live in Durham or what I like about Cary or North Raleigh or Wake Forest or Holly Springs, I feel they are asking my HONEST opinion and I must answer honestly.

When you get down to the area, check out Durham, check out Cary and North Raleigh and all the areas that are possibilities for you to live.

However, don't disregard the negatives as well as the positives.

Vicki

Old 04-21-2007, 08:40 PM

76 posts, read 194,905 times
I agree with some of what Vicki R said in her post. You should not regard the negatives or what some of Durham folks call it "realness". Durham is a very diverse community more than anywhere in the triangle so I am sure that has alot to do with people not wanting to live their it something a little different that what they are used too. But while talking about negatives Durham has its negatives which if you read many different post you will certainly find out (some can be very exaggerated). But the negatives about other areas of this region (Cary and some other places mentioned above) no culture, diversity, bland, boring. Ask any native or someone who has lived in the area for a while and they will tell its not much to do in any of those places. But it is all up to you. One of the best people that will give you a true more unbiased answer would definitely be BullCityRising. Hope you find the area that fits you best Good Luck.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
For those of you that live in Durham, I'm glad you are happy there. However, with the school scores being what they are and the crime stats being what they are, even if you have no kids, consider appreciation. Durham does not appreciate as well as Cary or North Raleigh. It is my choice not to live in Durham and I don't mean to knock it but when a client asks me WHY I choose not to live in Durham or what I like about Cary or North Raleigh or Wake Forest or Holly Springs, I feel they are asking my HONEST opinion and I must answer honestly.

When you get down to the area, check out Durham, check out Cary and North Raleigh and all the areas that are possibilities for you to live.

However, don't disregard the negatives as well as the positives.

Vicki
Hi Vicki,

I'm the first to acknowledge and talk about the negatives, too. I agree that the "realness" of Durham is actually a benefit. And I agree, everyone has to find the place that's the right place *for them* -- I don't think Durham is right for everyone, and in fact, I think it's unique culture and character help to both attract the people who'd love it and deter those who wouldn't like it. No point in living somewhere you don't like.

I'm always puzzled by the school scores question, however. I don't think it's the right measure of school success -- *but*, white students in Durham score significantly higher on the SAT than white students in Wake, and within a couple of percentage points on NC tests. Black and Hispanic students score about the same in both counties. Durham's aggregate scores seem to reflect the greater diversity, not the performance of individual students.

Are there other statistics and scores you've seen? I confess I haven't seen them all and would welcome any additional data you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary