Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 PM

184 posts, read 799,857 times

Advertisements

Ryan is finishing up the model home in Hilliard and apparently it is scheduled to open next month....based on what I could see from the outside the model looked nice enough, but when you stand in front of the house you can see the "exhuast pipes" on the rear roof peeking over the roof line... personally, I think the pipes stick out like a sore thumb and it kind of cheapens the look of a house...is it really so difficult to design the house so the pipe things aren't visible from the front of the house??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:25 PM

232 posts, read 1,028,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME43 View Post
Ryan is finishing up the model home in Hilliard and apparently it is scheduled to open next month....based on what I could see from the outside the model looked nice enough, but when you stand in front of the house you can see the "exhuast pipes" on the rear roof peeking over the roof line... personally, I think the pipes stick out like a sore thumb and it kind of cheapens the look of a house...is it really so difficult to design the house so the pipe things aren't visible from the front of the house??
My wife and I looked at this home from the inside this past weekend and I must say we were impressed with the quality of the workmanship and the general floorplan.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:32 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,136,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I live in Richmond where Ryan Homes is a huge tract builder. I used to live in a Ryan home. Ryan builds a home fairly comparable to Centex here (my complaints about what they build may not be on topic for your question, but they don't use hardiplank here on $700k homes which drives me insane). My guess is they would probably be between Pulte and Centex in quality (pre merger) in your area. My main issue with Ryan is that in Richmond Ryan has built the same home over and over again and you can drive into any Ryan home neighborhood and tell right away who built it. I don't know if Ryan is building a section in Hilliard Forest or if there homes will be interspersed w/ the custom homes.

ETA: To Vicki's concern about the size of the Ryan homes--looking at their website it looks like the homes would start around 2,500 sq. ft. and my guess is they would go up to well about 4,000 sq. ft.
Another concern would be how the n'hood would be impacted by Ryan Homes, which is a tract builder, compared to the custom home builders. Will the price point be lower?

This isn't a concern just about Hilliard Farms. This should be a concern to all buyers that are currently buying new construction. You must look around the n'hood and see how many of the lots are still available. You need to be educated on the "what if" the current builder can't continue to build. You need to be educated as to how this will effect your home and your investment.

Vicki

Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 PM

542 posts, read 1,520,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME43 View Post
If Ryan Homes was an Energy Star builder the home would more than likely have black PVC pipe potruding through the roof instead of the vent stacks that represent inefficient equipment. Who would every think to associate asthetics with energy efficiency?

Mike

Old 07-15-2009, 12:03 PM

194 posts, read 488,369 times
How do you think the current owners (1st to buy in Hilliard Forest) will react to the people who purchase the lots from Ryan and build homes right next door to them? As a couple of the lots are wedged in right next door to the DJF and Loyd homes. Also, do you think the current homes (spec homes) by DJF and Loyd will sell considering that the rest of the lots are Ryan lots and not the custom builders?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:13 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,666,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
How do you think the current owners (1st to buy in Hilliard Forest) will react to the people who purchase the lots from Ryan and build homes right next door to them? As a couple of the lots are wedged in right next door to the DJF and Loyd homes. Also, do you think the current homes (spec homes) by DJF and Loyd will sell considering that the rest of the lots are Ryan lots and not the custom builders?
Well, it stinks, but as Vicki points out that's a risk we take--especially in this environment. I think it's hard to find much good in this for the current owners of the custom homes except that maybe Ryan will kick in some money for the pool (isn't this one of the neighborhoods where the pool hasn't been built?). Hopefully Hilliard Forest has decent community standards (e.g., no vinyl siding) so the Ryan homes will blend in fairly well. Also, it seems like it might be a great opportunity for buyers to get a brand new home in a very nice Cary neighborhood with excellent schools for under $400k. Since this seems to be Ryan Homes' attempt to break into the Raleigh market I would think they would do everything they could to have happy customers.

To Vicki's point about the price--Ryan Homes' website lists the base price of the cheapest model as $340k. I have no idea what the other homes in the neighborhood sell for, but I would guess this is a much lower price point.

ETA: I don't think Ryan Homes is an energy star builder, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by sls76; 07-15-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 12:19 PM

513 posts, read 1,600,448 times
cheapest house in the neighborhood was in the high 400s and it was the djf houses in the corner by themselves that look identical to each other

Old 07-27-2009, 02:43 PM

194 posts, read 488,369 times
Wow, did you see the price cuts on the Hilliard Forest Homes! $700.00 association fee (without a pool) and they are taking away the Preston Membership!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,071 times
I talked to a few homeowners in Hilliard Forest and they don't seem to mind that Ryan homes is building in there. Association dues seem high to me since they don't have a pool.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 PM

232 posts, read 1,028,285 times
I feel sorry for the current homeowners in Hillard Forrest who shelled out 700k-800k+ for custom homes by Loyd and DJF only to see cheaper homes being built by Ryan to complete the neighborhood.

IMHO it depreciates the value of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary