Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:32 PM

23 posts, read 155,328 times

Advertisements

Who are the best custom builders in the $600-$750k range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 03:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Too many to name!

You must remember that BEFORE Pulte and KB Homes and Drees and Toll Brothers, ALL of our builders were custom builders.

I'd suggest you check out the neighborhood that you'd like to build in. The developer hand picks his builders and then you choose the plan, the builder and the lot.

Vicki

Old 04-17-2007, 03:53 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,453 times
Where are you looking? Do you already have a lot? Your subdivision will probably have a "builder team" to chose from.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 PM

146 posts, read 691,126 times
These were some of our favorites:
Zeigler http://www.zeiglerandcompany.com/ - website isn't too helpful yet
Ange http://www.angeconstruction.com/
Amward http://www.amwardhomes.com/
Wardson http://www.wardson.com/ - Amward and Wardson are brothers, so they're pretty similar
Poythress Construction Company http://www.pccbuilder.com/
Poythress Homes http://www.poythresshomes.com/ (another pair of brothers)

You can see where each of them are building, and that might give you a good start if you're still trying to find a neighborhood. The thing we really liked about the local custom builders is that they often build in neighborhoods with several other builders (our neighborhood has 11 different builders) - so you're not seeing the same house over and over again on the same street.

Feel free to PM me or my husband (bta) if you want more details on the above builders.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:14 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBTA View Post
The thing we really liked about the local custom builders is that they often build in neighborhoods with several other builders (our neighborhood has 11 different builders) - so you're not seeing the same house over and over again on the same street.
That is what I liked about our neighborhood, even if it is several notches down in price.

For 135 homes there were 9 different builders. While the homes all sit well with each other, I only know of two styles (four homes) that look 'too close for comfort'.....and they aren't even on the same street.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:25 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
As others have said, most developments have a fixed set of custom builders who build homes in a given neighborhood. Usually, the builders buy the lots and either build spec homes or, more often, build a custom home for a prospective buyer. So, by selecting a neighborhood and then the lot, you have selected your builder. They key is to find a neighborhood with a good set of builders, find then find a lot which is owned by one of the builders in the neighborhood you like.

If all that sounds complicated, it really isn't. Most nicer neighborhoods have a good set of custom builders. It usually comes down to finding the lot you like and then working with the builder who owns the lot to come up with a home plan which you like.

Make sure you like the builder,though, as you will be seeing plenty of him/her over the next nine months while your home is being built. I've heard some people claim that building a home can be stressful. I think that is because they had a builder that they just didn't mesh well with. When we built our home in 2001/2002, we got along great with our builder and the experience was great. It *does* take alot of time to select all the items (e.g., faucets, light fixtures, countertops, floor coverings, and colors), but it should not be stressful in the least.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 24,588 times
Vicki, what about Orleans? No one ever talk about Orleans.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:09 PM

709 posts, read 935,116 times
We have a poythress home fantastic!

The small touches the heavy mouldings the top of the line granite the beautiful built ins, the solid feel of everything to the top of the line toilets!!

He does not miss anything.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolo View Post
Vicki, what about Orleans? No one ever talk about Orleans.
I don't think they are truly "custom" in the way I'm thinking the above poster meant by custom. I've seen their homes and I like the way they look. I've not heard anything negative about them but thats about all I know about them.

Vicki

Old 01-03-2009, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,444 times
Default Zeigler and Company

We used Zeigler and Company (Craig Zeigler)....

ask me for information!

RCinRDCU@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary