Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which town is better for 20-somethings looking for safe yet thriving living area with less traffic t
Raleigh 26 56.52%
Durham 20 43.48%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,852,093 times

Advertisements

To the OP, I'm glad oyu're coming to visit, where you will see for yourself that the stereotypes are outdated, especially of Durham. It WAS a scary place, known for crime, in the 1990s, but as others keep saying, enormous renovations and municipal upgrading have made Durham a "place to be!"

It is true that the "scary" parts of Durham are probably "scarier" than ghettos in other cities--that is generally the southeastern quadrant and there's no mistaking it when you are in that area. But, that leaves a lot of city left, particularly the west side which has Duke University, Duke hospital, and is toward Chapel Hill ("The Southern Part of Heaven"). I've never lived in Durham but attend events and rehearsals there almost weekly, and the change even in the past 5 years is amazing, let alone 15 years, from when the "bad rep" was established.

Raleigh *is* more "white bread" if you're outside the Beltline (I-440), but that doesn't mean it is Stepford-ville. However, coming from Chicago, you will likely find Durham more your style. Also, RTP is in Durham county, so Durham is definitely the closest city to most of RTP (other than Morrisville or parts of Cary, but you're back into even more 'white bread' stereotypes there--they are quintessential 'bedroom communities' whose explosive growth has completely consisted of being suburban places for the thousands of transplants moving into the area. Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill all have rich histories that far predate the days of this area being on the "best places to relocate to" lists.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:03 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,109,901 times
I hope he/she came to visit in the last three years since the first message was posted.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:15 PM

39 posts, read 68,482 times
Thanks for your input Bull City Rising, I'm an Arizonian that will be relocating to your city and found your opinion quite informative and interesting. In my recent searches I've found Durham to be a better value than Raleigh home price wise but have been looking for locals opinions on the living situation there.

Thanks again

Old 04-25-2010, 06:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,848,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayaz View Post
Thanks for your input Bull City Rising, I'm an Arizonian that will be relocating to your city and found your opinion quite informative and interesting. In my recent searches I've found Durham to be a better value than Raleigh home price wise but have been looking for locals opinions on the living situation there.

Thanks again
Please note that Bull City's post was made more than three years ago -- things said in 2007 may no longer apply in 2010.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 AM

29 posts, read 48,068 times
cary has no jobs, apex is dead, the good parts of durham are expensive. raliegh is allright but boring. not much tech jobs unless you are top tier with 8 year degrees, nothing for entry level or mid level techs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary