Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,503 times

Advertisements

I have read the statistics on the various Wake County High Schools. But I would really like to hear from the people who know what's what: what do you think is the best high school in North Raleigh? Why?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 06:31 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I have read the statistics on the various Wake County High Schools. But I would really like to hear from the people who know what's what: what do you think is the best high school in North Raleigh? Why?

Thanks!!!
There is no one 'best' school. What are the students strong subjects? What are they interested in? Those are going to be important in picking out the best school for them.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,503 times
Well...

I am a social studies teacher, and my area of focus is gifted students. I have two children who are too young for high school now, but I would like for them to attend the high school where I teach when the time comes. Both have been identified as gifted. My daughter is also very artistic, and my son is very athletic.

I'm looking for a school with top-notch academics and a positive atmosphere.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,538 times
If your child is truly gifted and definitely wants to pursue a career in advanced science/math , I would suggest applying to the NC School of Science and Math in Durham.

Otherwise, all of the high schools have wonderful programs. Check out the AP classes they offer if your child has particular interests.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:23 PM

709 posts, read 935,116 times
Cary Academy, Ravenscroft, or Wakefield HS the Public school in north raleigh

Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I live in North Raleigh. I have 4 kids. Three have graduated from Sanderson High School.

Although Leesville HS and Wakefield HS have higher scores...Sanderson is a great school due to parent involvement and the teachers. Quite a lot of the teachers have remained at Sanderson for 25 years! Thats saying alot.

My 13 year old will be going to Sanderson in September. Some of the SAME teachers that taught her sister and brothers years ago are still there.

I think that speaks highly of a school.

Vicki

Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Cary Academy, Ravenscroft, or Wakefield HS the Public school in north raleigh
Two private schools and then Wakefield? You have got to be kidding. Wakefield is an acceptable school, a good student could do well there, but they are hardly one of the strongest.

The principle may help, but they have some huge social issues to work through (how many kids have died through stupidity? How many are currently under indictment?) before I'd say it's one of the 'strongest'.

Wealthy area does not automatically equal strong academics.

And for the cause of full declaration, I get tired of their calling Wake Forest 'shoeless' because not every home in our area is 500k or above and we have the retail stores they use.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 AM

709 posts, read 935,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Two private schools and then Wakefield? You have got to be kidding. Wakefield is an acceptable school, a good student could do well there, but they are hardly one of the strongest.

The principle may help, but they have some huge social issues to work through (how many kids have died through stupidity? How many are currently under indictment?) before I'd say it's one of the 'strongest'.

Wealthy area does not automatically equal strong academics.

And for the cause of full declaration, I get tired of their calling Wake Forest 'shoeless' because not every home in our area is 500k or above and we have the retail stores they use.

Huh? Every high school has dummies that drink and drive. EVERYONE!!

even those private schools. The best schools all around the country are in suburban areas where there are higher paid families. Look at the stats my friend.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:14 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimama View Post
If your child is truly gifted and definitely wants to pursue a career in advanced science/math , I would suggest applying to the NC School of Science and Math in Durham.

Otherwise, all of the high schools have wonderful programs. Check out the AP classes they offer if your child has particular interests.
Just as a side note (in case anyone was wondering) students cannot apply directly to the school of science and math, they have to be nominated by a teacher in their school, that, along with their psat score will qualify them to apply. Once that happens, along with their application essay they are chosen to come to campus to interview (all day) and then students are picked from that group. The school consistently tries to have students (more than one) from each county in north carolina (since it is a public boarding school and students do not pay to go to school there)

Getting into the school can be challening, but not nearly as challenging as the academic pressure! I used to work there, and I see my "old students" now who have finished med school and they say med school was a breeze in comparison!

Leigh

Old 04-18-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Huh? Every high school has dummies that drink and drive. EVERYONE!!

even those private schools. The best schools all around the country are in suburban areas where there are higher paid families. Look at the stats my friend.
Yes, they do...but so many deaths and arrests lately shows a deeper issue that Wakefield needs to address. I hope the new principal and more parental involvement, as well as student initiatives are going to help stop the culture there that lets teens think this is how to be cool.

Even without all that. Wakefield is not one of the strongest academic high schools in the area. Athens Drive is normally considered a stronger school then Wakefield for example.

And how come you didn't mention Raleigh Charter school? Not the cache of being private, but considered at the very top nationwide in many polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary