Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The other poster I was referring to used the term "snatch."
And by that term I mean to snatch, or grab a child by their shirt. I never said I was going to grab a child by their arm or hair and gouge their eyes out.
I will not hesitate to snatch a child by their shirt if they are running around out of control and knocking smaller children down. I could only wish their parent saw me do it too. I could only wish the parent would have the audacity to get angry with me at trying to protect my child. That would mean either they weren't doing their job as a parent by watching their child or they were too busy trying to be the child's best friend and didn't want to make them angry by disciplining them. It is a parent's responsibility not only to protect their child from danger but to also teach them how to function in society. I'm not trying to raise your child for you but I'll be damned if your lack of parenting is going to cause my child to get injured. It's just a shame that every year I have to renew my license to fish but any idiot can have a child.

Quote:
I will not allow my daughter to be a victim. And I will not allow a child to think they can intimidate my daugther into being a victim. It's not healthy for either child involved. The Mom had seen what happened and seemed more anry at the kid than me. Fortunately. But if it comes between me protecting my child from being harmed or bullied and a law suit... heck yes, I'm protecting my kid. I couldn't live with myself if he poked her eye out and I hand not "put my hands on him" to stop him.

After this incident she was taught by Dad and her older brother where to kick a boy to put him on the ground. That was over 1.5 years ago and she has not had to use it, but I think she does feel impowered w/ the knowledge.
Quote:
If that requires me pulling a child off my daughter or holding the child's hands or shoulders so I can talk to him/her then so be it. Want to press charges? Bring it on. I think quite a few parents these days aren't doing their jobs so if I have to step in and take charge, I will. Kids don't tend to respect their parents a whole lot but maybe, just maybe, they will listen to and heed the words of a stranger.
I agree 100%. My daughter also knows how to protect herself. She does know it's not right to hit but she also knows it is okay to hit if she is hit first. She will grow up knowing it's okay to defend herself. She knows to defend herself then go tell an adult. I will not have her running away from bullies to go "tattle". I feel like that will only provoke the problem. I know it did for me when I was in school.

Quote:
Second of all, I agree with Lamishra, I would never ever put my hands on someone else's child no matter what the circumstances are. And if someone ever put their hands on mine, there'd be hell to pay. That's one of those lines you don't cross. An adult should never put their hands on a child. Plain and simple, bottom line. I'd have the police called in a second.
Quote:
You never lay your hands on somebody's kid. Never. You will see yourself on the other side of a lawsuit in a NY minute. Yes you can verbally reprimand a kid but even then some parents will be in your face about that.
Oh yeah, what would you sue me for? Or what violation would you press charges on? The fact that you are afraid to discipline your child and got your feelings hurt when somebody else actually did? So what type of hell would there be to pay? And I could only wish one of these parents would get in my face. You'd whimper home with your tail tucked between your legs.

Quote:
As far as the first time I was there with the kids running wild, I did actually say something to the kids and to the attendants. Nothing changed, which is why we left. There was no need for you to assume I didn't do that.
I will say I do agree with you saying something to the attendant first. That was the right thing to do. However, I don't believe you said anything to the kids. If you did they would have stopped. If you had snatched one of them by their shirt, got down to their level, and spoke to them like an adult you would've got their attention and it would've stopped. Why should you and your child be punished by being forced to leave because of another child's lack of discipline?

Last edited by underPSI; 07-06-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times
All I can say is wow. You're talking like me and the others who don't think it's ok to physically touch a child are the one's who are in the wrong. I'm not afraid to discipline my children and they know better than to act that way. My children's actions would never put them in a position to be "snatched" by you or anyone else. So don't talk down to us like that. Also, you don't know me AT ALL, so to call me a liar is uncalled for. I did say something to the kids, but I didn't "snatch" them and reprimand them. They did stop briefly, but quickly got caught up in the moment and were back at it again. There were probably 10 of them, there was no way my kids were going to have fun, so it just made sense to leave.

Like I said, my children are very well behaved and wouldn't act like that, but in the instance that any adult ever aggressively "snatched" one of my children, I would press charges for assault. I don't think anyone has the right to put their hands on another person, especially a child.

And call me crazy, but I will never tell my children it's alright to hit back. Yes, there's self defense and my children will be prepared to know what to do to protect themselves if they need to, but teaching my children that it's ok to cause physical harm to another person is just not acceptable to me. That's a very fine line and could easily backfire later on.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Grabbing or snatching a child that you do not know, by the shirt or by any body part for misbehaving, is simple assault. If I saw a stranger grab or snatch a child I would absolutely call 911 and report an assault on a child. There are plenty of ways to deal with misbehaving children without touching them. Unless that child is directly about to seriously harm someone else, It is NOT OK to touch, grab or snatch other people's children as a means of discipline. Period.
And yes, if I am in place where I don't like the atmosphere or other patrons using the facility, we simply leave! It's that easy, and it's the adult, mature thing to do!

Last edited by lamishra; 07-06-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 03:39 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
I wonder if kids today would even survive my youth, let alone my parents/grandparents youth lol. Parents in general have really become hyper-protective imo. We used to jump out trees, wade around heavily flooded creeks, "ice-skate" (with our shoes) on frozen ponds, and all this in Cary! I used to ride my bike to the Cary mall at 7 years old from 2 miles away lol. Nowadays, a 12 year old has to wear a helmet and cannot leave sight of the house! As a parent, I am a bit guilty of this too....but I often wonder what effects it will have on the next generations character when they reach maturity.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:25 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There are plenty of ways to deal with misbehaving children without touching them. Unless that child is directly about to seriously harm someone else, It is NOT OK to touch, grab or snatch other people's children as a means of discipline.
But how do you know if a child is about to seriously harm another child? Just wait until a child loses an eye or suffers a concussion then discipline? I don't have a crystal ball and no one else I know does so if I see something about to happen I try my best to prevent injury to another child. Touching a child in this type of situation does not automatically make it an aggressive grabbing or restraining of the child. A simple touch on the forearm, hand on the shoulder might be what it takes for a child to understand you mean business. For example, if one of my children were chasing after another child with a stick at the playground and I miss this happening I would certainly hope another parent steps up to the plate and stops my child by taking the stick away, standing in her way or holding her arm. Certainly not assault. It is discipline.

In the case of the jump house places. It gets way too rough in those places and too many places where kids are unseen. Not a place I take my kids because the risk of injury is too high since most of those places have workers who could not care less about what is going on, they just want to get paid. I would definitely bring any out of control behavior to the attention of management and would report any unsafe situations to the appropriate persons/agencies.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I wonder if kids today would even survive my youth, let alone my parents/grandparents youth lol. Parents in general have really become hyper-protective imo. We used to jump out trees, wade around heavily flooded creeks, "ice-skate" (with our shoes) on frozen ponds, and all this in Cary! I used to ride my bike to the Cary mall at 7 years old from 2 miles away lol. Nowadays, a 12 year old has to wear a helmet and cannot leave sight of the house! As a parent, I am a bit guilty of this too....but I often wonder what effects it will have on the next generations character when they reach maturity.

My wife and I had a "discussion" regarding her wanting our 3-yr old to wear a helmet while riding his tricycle in the driveway

Old 07-06-2009, 07:26 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Unfortunately, we live in a much different world these days. It is amazing that we have survived this long without wearing seat belts, helmets, walking long distance or riding our bikes to school in our youth. Schools were open even if it snowed real hard unlike today where our world is run by lawyers and the courts.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post

My wife and I had a "discussion" regarding her wanting our 3-yr old to wear a helmet while riding his tricycle in the driveway

The concrete in your driveway is just as hard as that on the street. Why would you even want to take a chance? In fact a child may have a false sense of security in the driveway and take chances he wouldn't away from home. Again, why would you even take that chance?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The concrete in your driveway is just as hard as that on the street. Why would you even want to take a chance? In fact a child may have a false sense of security in the driveway and take chances he wouldn't away from home. Again, why would you even take that chance?
We're talking about a tricycle that puts his head closer to the ground than when he is actually standing. He could fall and hit his head just as easily running/walking down the sidewalk. You want kids to wear a helmet anytime they plays outside? Or maybe they could fall out of their chairs while eating lunch and hit their head on the tiled kitchen floor. I guess we should have them wear helmets while in the kitchen. . .. .or in the tub. . . . . or . . . .. .sheez

Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
We're talking about a tricycle that puts his head closer to the ground than when he is actually standing. He could fall and hit his head just as easily running/walking down the sidewalk. You want kids to wear a helmet anytime they plays outside? Or maybe they could fall out of their chairs while eating lunch and hit their head on the tiled kitchen floor. I guess we should have them wear helmets while in the kitchen. . .. .or in the tub. . . . . or . . . .. .sheez
LOL....!

Living life is a hazard!!!

Rep points coming your way.....!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary