Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,315,546 times

Advertisements

It's funny the perception about air travel these days. $500 each way to fly 4000 miles is dirt cheap, and the evidence is airlines are losing money hand over fist. Even if you could drive that distance you'd spend that much in gas and hotels alone and it would take you 4 days spending 16 hours each day behind the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,856,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Just call American Airlines. They have a nonstop flight. After they tell you what the price would be haggle it down. That flight is never booked. If you don't get any with the person you are talking to ask for the supervisor. It might take a little negotiating but companies especially in today's market are always willing to bargain.
I do know Clark Howard swears by this site if you can't get anywhere with AA's call center:
Mobissimo Travel | Cheap Airline Tickets, Discount Hotels, Discount Cars - Ultimate Travel Search Engine
American refuse to negotiate and will fly empty seats rather than reduce the prices on the Raleigh to London flight - in fact they often put the prices up in the days before a flight even though there maybe a 100 empty seats. It's something that baffles me in this economy but obviously they know how best to run their business

Old 07-07-2009, 10:08 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,315,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
American refuse to negotiate and will fly empty seats rather than reduce the prices on the Raleigh to London flight - in fact they often put the prices up in the days before a flight even though there maybe a 100 empty seats. It's something that baffles me in this economy but obviously they know how best to run their business
If people knew they discounted the tickets at the last minute then everyone would wait until the last minute to book...

Still think it's a dumb idea?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 AM

632 posts, read 1,837,022 times
An article I read a few weeks ago said that flights to Germany from the US had the best prices. Even with the extra flight of flying from there to your desired destination within Europe was still supposedly cheaper. Worth checking out. The article also mentioned that Monday to Thursday travel was cheaper--to Europe.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:25 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If people knew they discounted the tickets at the last minute then everyone would wait until the last minute to book...

Still think it's a dumb idea?
How about they do away with all the crazy pricing schemes and just charge the same "fair" price per seat? Why should it cost me nearly $1K round trip to NJ if I just want to stay 2 nights, but $300 if I stay 3 (this was last fall)? It's nuts and it makes me REALLY glad I don't travel for a living!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,375,603 times
Thanks for all the tips and advice. We found some flights from Greensboro to London Heathrow for about $730 each. A lot cheaper than the $1,000 prices we were seeing when we first started looking. I agree with "wheelsup" that when you think about it $730 is very reasonable when you consider you are traveling 6,000 miles. But when all you want to do is go visit family for a couple of weeks then having to come up with almost $4,000 is not easy. Especially when your AC decided to break down and need to be replaced the week before!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:49 AM

133 posts, read 423,514 times
We just moved from living overseas in Singapore for a few years. Over there airlines don't increase their prices 20 or 30 days before flights. Just one price. The industry over there is booming and is one of the few areas where airlines are making money, besides the middle east. The American and European airlines here shouldn't impose these insane flight surcharges to fly at the last minute. Crazy that AA would fly an empty flight to London rather than fill it with reasonably priced tickets. I think for summer 800 is a fair price.

What airline are you flying with from Greensboro to London? I think the flight you found is a great.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:08 PM

321 posts, read 1,573,622 times
Just remember when booking flights to London, the taxes you pay are ridiculous. We fly back to visit family quite often and the flights might seem reasonable until you tag those UK taxes on there! Remember that starting in July, through middle of September is the most expensive time to travel to Europe as that's when the kids are on Summer break over there.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,051,621 times
Donna makes makes a good point about taxes - remember that not all websites quote ticket prices that include taxes. We recently went to Bermuda for a quick vacation and the airfare was a very reasonable $250 RT but the ticket was $350 after taxes and fees. Still less than we paid 22 years ago but it seems like Delta got the short end of the stick.

Frank

Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,693,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Just call American Airlines. They have a nonstop flight. After they tell you what the price would be haggle it down. That flight is never booked. If you don't get any with the person you are talking to ask for the supervisor. It might take a little negotiating but companies especially in today's market are always willing to bargain.
I do know Clark Howard swears by this site if you can't get anywhere with AA's call center:
Mobissimo Travel | Cheap Airline Tickets, Discount Hotels, Discount Cars - Ultimate Travel Search Engine
American Airlines supervisors can't just give you a lower rate because you want to haggle the price - BIG MISCONCEPTION. Trust me on this, I work there and know what is feasible and what isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
It's not a refusal to reduce the prices - the prices are in place many months before the date of travel and adjusted according to the fare rules and any sales that happen. There are the standard 21 day in advance fare, 14 day, 7 day, 3 day, and then the "hey you waited until the last minute" fare! The further out you book the better the rate. Also it depends on the day, date etc... Certain times of the year or events going on can increase prices (hey same as the hotels and thousands of other businesses huh?). Best days to get a good rate are to fly on Tues/Wed/Thur or Sat...forget cheap on Friday/Sun/Monday - everybody wants to fly on those days.

Also bear in mind - thousands of people call the call center a day to CHANGE their reservation - so that plane that was full at one point could now be 1/2 full come flight day - oh and then don't forget all of the travelers that "woke up late" or "didn't take into account traffic" or "got sick" or "had a relative that passed away" that all of a sudden doesn't take that flight. So those half-full planes aren't because we don't want to come down on the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
How about they do away with all the crazy pricing schemes and just charge the same "fair" price per seat? Why should it cost me nearly $1K round trip to NJ if I just want to stay 2 nights, but $300 if I stay 3 (this was last fall)? It's nuts and it makes me REALLY glad I don't travel for a living!
Unfortunately those are da rules of the fares (I am being funny not witchy). Just keep searching for the cheaper fares.

Oh and for the person who suggested the priceline "pay your own price" tickets - BE CAUTIOUS. These are the most restrictive tickets - ie., no airmiles to frequent flyer accounts, NO STANDBY, NO CHANGES, NO REFUNDS, NO NOTHING unless it's something caused by the airline (ie, mechanical, weather or air traffic) that causes the delay or cancellation. If you miss the flight or you're too sick - too bad, you lose the entire ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna78 View Post
Just remember when booking flights to London, the taxes you pay are ridiculous. We fly back to visit family quite often and the flights might seem reasonable until you tag those UK taxes on there! Remember that starting in July, through middle of September is the most expensive time to travel to Europe as that's when the kids are on Summer break over there.
Yes, there are a lot of taxes on the England side of the ticket. Remember that the "cooler" states/countries are often the preference for travel in summer to beat the heat - and reverse in the winter. Go against the flow and you'll get much better deals.

I have worked for 2 different airlines and their partners and in the travel industry for over 7 years and can't believe some of the misconceptions out there and how much people will blame the airlines, but will accept the same "unfair" business from hotels, and even precious Walmart etc...

Just remember don't just click "I have agreed and read the terms..." ACTUALLY read them before clicking - all the fine print is there in front of you and you can actually increase the print size or ASK us questions to get the honest answers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary