Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:47 PM

90 posts, read 225,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2fly View Post
Asian air market is semi-regulated. But some countries do not subsidize their airlines. For instance, Singapore airlines, is owned by a group that is controlled by the government, but is expected to turn a profit and gets little to no money from the government. In this downturn economy they had to cut routes and sell planes to stay semi-profitable. The Asian domestic market is growing very fast. Vietnam airlines flies brand new planes, as well as 777 for international routes. In India, Kingfisher airlines is getting A380s.

For the USA, southwest, jetblue and i think continental are doing well financially in this economy.

Amcjap, your daughter's fare on british airlines is great. I need to find something like that.
I think both of our points are correct. The US market is still far more developed than any other domestic market, and Europe's is still more developed than Asia's. Asia's is growing rapidly. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 AM

133 posts, read 423,326 times
The US market has lots of routes, it's boggling! I just wish the airlines here would have the customer service that they have in Asia. I am really not looking forward to flying. Southwest airlines is pretty good though. Has anyone flown Virgin America?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,300,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2fly View Post
Asian air market is semi-regulated. But some countries do not subsidize their airlines. For instance, Singapore airlines, is owned by a group that is controlled by the government, but is expected to turn a profit and gets little to no money from the government. In this downturn economy they had to cut routes and sell planes to stay semi-profitable. The Asian domestic market is growing very fast. Vietnam airlines flies brand new planes, as well as 777 for international routes. In India, Kingfisher airlines is getting A380s.

For the USA, southwest, jetblue and i think continental are doing well financially in this economy.

Amcjap, your daughter's fare on british airlines is great. I need to find something like that.

It's not just about subsidizing the airline itself. Regulation reduces competition and allows the airline a much great profit potential. This in turn increases employee pay which has a DIRECT effect on customer service and safety. It also allows increased maintenance expenditures, cleanliness, newer equipment, etc. I would bet my right nut that Singapore doesn't have 10 competitors on each of its routes, which is typical in the US system.

Even the mighty SWA has lost money in the last 3 quarters and is on track for its first ever full year loss in decades. That should say something.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,374,414 times
I think we'll try to fly in June next time. It's a lot cheaper.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 AM

285 posts, read 833,771 times
I do this trip a couple of times a year, and have friends & family coming the other way relatively regularly. From what we've seen flying from a Thursday to Thursday (if coming for a week) is the cheapest day - no idea why

I'm sure you know this already, but always make sure you have a "saturday night stay" accross the flight - flying Monday returning Friday is more expensive as there isnt a saturday night stay involved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary