Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 AM

69 posts, read 255,660 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at building in Holly Glen (Holly Springs) and the builder is Beazer. can anyone give me any information on the builder and the development? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 07:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley View Post
My wife and I are looking at building in Holly Glen (Holly Springs) and the builder is Beazer. can anyone give me any information on the builder and the development? Thanks!
I usually don't like to weigh in on questions about builders since I am not very familiar with the various builders in the area, but I do know that BEazer has been getting a lot of bad press lately. I don't know about the quality fo the homes they build, or the specific SD you mention, but it sounds like they have a lot of legal problems right now.

Beazer Articles:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17831362/

http://news.corporate.findlaw.com/prnewswire/20070326/26mar20071203.html (broken link)

Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 AM

129 posts, read 566,153 times
It appears that the Raleigh division has a pretty good reputation with the BBB. http://www.bbbenc.org/commonreport.html?bid=9134
I would recommend to look up the BBB @ www.bbb.org for any business to see how they treat the complaints.
The complaints w/ Beazer were all addressed and resolved, or tried to resolve them. Glen Holly is a great location for anyone who wants to have a new Elementary & H.S. within reach.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:40 AM

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 PM

75 posts, read 413,949 times
Not sure about which s/ds we looked visited, but we went to two by Beazer and looked at inventory (not model) homes. We were really surprised by some of the sloppy details. I can't speak to the quality of materials they use because I don't know firsthand, but I know I was pretty amazed (negatively) by the drywall/paint work and wood details around. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and considered them, but I couldn't get over the cracks, mis-aligned trim, and other misc detail things that made us feel like it was cheaply built. To give them the benefit of the doubt, these were just a couple examples, so they may be okay as a whole -- I don't know. I just thought I'd share my limited perspective & opinions. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
They certainly don't have a good rep for the quality of their work. I've known a few people who have owned Beazer homes and all were unhappy about the quality of the finished product. Make sure you are comfortable having Shearon Harris "in your backyard" if you buy in that s/d.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:02 AM

Thank you for all of the information and helping me save some money!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:17 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
I just do not care for national builders in general. They always seem to cut corners somewhere. For example say a particular overhang on a house is normally 6 inches, a national builder will make it 3 inches, And those little things bother me.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:23 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
Hi,
I have a Beazer home in FV and it's OK. To sum up the quality of their homes... they are no better or worse than any other production builder in the area. By that I mean if you are on a budget and want new construction, the quality they build is decent and pretty much what you will get with any builder in that price range. There are some minor quality issues with my home (mostly settling issues, actually) but nothing major so far (knock on wood, the house is only 2 years old, lol). In fact, my cousin built with K Hov and spent 100K more than I did and had way more problems with her home and builder than I did. Now, I did had an inspector which gave me some peace of mind but the bottom line is I got an affordable home (150K) that was built decently, not superbly, for a home in that price range. Obviously, if you want superb quality, you will have to pay a lot more to a smaller, local, custom builder. They only problem I had was with their mortgage dude (big surprise since that's where all their legal problems are stemming from) but it was resolved and overall I got 3% for a down payment, all my closing costs paid and even got all of my earnest back except for $1. Yes, I basically paid $1 to move into my home so for a first time buyer, I did well with them and can't complain.

I've done TONS of research and talked to tons of people about their builders and their experiences. At this point and based on quality alone there are only two production builders I would build with if I was going to build again. They would be David Weekly and Fred Smith. Most of the national others just build average quality cookie cutters at best which is OK for many people.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 AM

13 posts, read 58,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley View Post
We have a Beazer home in Wakefield (closed in Sept) and are happy with the overall quality of construction. Prior to deciding on new construction, I looked at many listings (all >5 years old) in the same price range. The quality of the Beazer model home impressed me in comparison and swayed our decision to go with new construction.

I think that with any home (new or existing) you'll encounter issues. Beazer customer service has always been friendly and responsive. One of our neighbors has had a less positive experience (but I can't speak to that). We are taking full advantage of the warranty and have provided a detailed punch-list to ensure that any issues are handled within the first year.

Also, we had an independent inspection done prior to closing. I would recommend looking at some of the current listings and find homes built by Beazer within the past few years. That may give you a better perspective of their quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary