Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 06:22 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,340 times

Advertisements

Anyone else have a child attending West Lake MS? Was at the Open House last night and it was an oven!!! Was told by staff that a major part in the A/C broke the day before and it might be a week before fixed. I felt ill after being there just for 2 hours. Anyone else experience this and know any additional info? It's a health hazard without A/C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM

294 posts, read 829,298 times
when I was a kid, we didn't have A/C and sometimes had classes on the surface of the sun...kidding...

horrible if true...it's going to be hot the next few days....

Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,434 times
They will live geesh, Soft kids, open the windows and use a fan.My kid was there, new 6yh grader, some parts were off but most of the school was fine.Those trailers are great and COLD!!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:34 PM

376 posts, read 1,062,340 times
Look, I know that people survived without a/c in days of yore. I'm a big fan of open windows and outdoor air. But seriously, it wasn't just me ready to pass out. If was unbelievably hot and still inside. Awful! I called this school this morning and the receptionist said they'd gotten a generator going. So hopefully it'll be OK this week.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
Look, I know that people survived without a/c in days of yore. I'm a big fan of open windows and outdoor air. But seriously, it wasn't just me ready to pass out. If was unbelievably hot and still inside. Awful! I called this school this morning and the receptionist said they'd gotten a generator going. So hopefully it'll be OK this week.
Irvinegal, I grew up in Eastern NC w/ no AC in our school and none at home. But I agree that you have every right to be concerned! While I have not looked at the actual numbers I do believe that summer tends to be hotter now than it did "back in the day" because in part we have fewer trees shading our schools and more concrete and more roads. Also back in the day how many of you went to school on July 6th? Hmm???? This time of the year in the summer I was either soaking at the beach or under the shade of an oak tree.

Kids can not learn when it's too hot in a school building!! Not to mention middle school kids are known for BO. I would think the smell alone on a hot day would make me want to faint.

I hope the school gets some relief soon. In the meantime, I hope all those kids are drinking a lot of water.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Comparing the lack of A/C in modern, sealed-up construction to the olden days of buildings with windows that opened isn't really a valid comparison. While I don't fully agree with the "health hazard" comment, I do agree with the OP that still, uncirculated air in a tightly sealed school is a problem that goes beyond "dealing with the heat."

Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,946 times
No A/C in the "olden days" is partially why schools traditionally are out in the summer right? I think it was also so that children could help their families out at home during the summer months as well, but I also read that it was due to the heat. And don't forget that schools typically started after Labor Day when there was no A/C - not mid July. My BIL was a teacher for Wake County schools and quit a couple of years ago when his kids had to take final exams in a classroom that was over 100 degrees, and they told him they wouldn't be fixing it before the year was out.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,832 times
I am a teacher who has had to teach with no A/C several times. No A/C in a classroom is VERY different then no A/C at home. At home you can open windows to at least let a breeze in or to get fresh air. In my classroom none of the windows work so I can't get any fresh air in the room and let me tell you a cement box heats up pretty fast when there are 30 high school kids in the room. I've had my room reach the 90 mark on several occasions. I can also tell you when it's that hot my kids don't learn a thing.

I would suggest instead of calling the school call the central office or the superintendent. When enough parents call that A/C will get fixed and fixed fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary