Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times

Advertisements

Hi all--you've come through for me before and I am hoping you will again. We have a family group--some adult sibs, cousins, parents, and our young kids (maybe 5-8 kids and 10-12 adults) and we are looking for accommodations for a family getaway at the beach somewhere on the NC or SC coast. I know we can get large rental homes at the OBX but ideally I'd like some separation--maybe even a cluster of 2-bedroom units (give or take).

The thing is, we really prefer a quiet, extremely laid back scene. We have stressful lives and want to relax, have some drinks on the patio/balcony/beach, and watch the kids play (we do NOT want the Myrtle Beach Mayhem--we did that in our 20s). We used to go to Sanibel Island in FL but it's just too far a drive for all of us now.

Is there such a place for us? I've really only done OBX in the past. 2 of us couples are taking an exploratory weekend trip to Daufuskie Island. But I'm looking for recommendations--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:31 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
I was just at ocean isle this past weekend, and there are some small condos (not high rises, just two or three story places) that are ocean front (some the street back) that look nice. The dunes was one I remember, but I am sure there are others. I like ocean isle, there is a new lowe's food about a mile from the beach, and there are some little restaurants, ice cream places within walking distances of many houses. Plus, calabash is about 5 miles away, and that has shopping and restaurants. It is a quiet beach, family beach and not full of high rises.

Leigh

Old 07-09-2009, 06:04 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
Ward Realty | Detail Page (http://www.wardrealty.com/vrmgr/rental/PropertyDisplay.aspx?PropertyId=319&WebCode=all&Re turnPath=/ - broken link)
We stayed here in May. It was AWESOME! There were 5 families - each with 2 kids or more. It was really spacious and we never felt like we were in each others way. You can also rent the unit next door for more space. There's a swimming pool to use, and it's just a really quiet place to be.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Try Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms in the Charleston, SC area. Many, many, housing options, and a nice resort.

Charleston South Carolina Hotels | Wild Dunes Resort | Isle of Palms Vacation Resorts

(Note: Wild Dunes rentals are available from a variety of sources, including VRBO. I included the resort website for general reference.)

Old 07-09-2009, 07:34 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,756 times
I think Topsail or any of the Brunswick County Beaches (incl. Oak Island, Holden, Ocean Isle and Sunset) would fit your wants - you could either do condos or 2 sides of a duplex. They're all family beaches, not like Myrtle at all, but Sunset and Ocean Isle are close enough to N. Myrtle/Myrtle (45-60 min) for a day trip if part of the group is interested in shopping/entertainment, etc. They're all within about an hour from Wilmington as well, I think (I haven't actually been to Topsail, but have heard good things).

Old 07-09-2009, 07:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Bald Head Island presents a number of options as well.

Bald Head Island, NC | Beach Vacations, Rentals, Property For Sale

Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
I think Topsail or any of the Brunswick County Beaches (incl. Oak Island, Holden, Ocean Isle and Sunset) would fit your wants - you could either do condos or 2 sides of a duplex. They're all family beaches, not like Myrtle at all, but Sunset and Ocean Isle are close enough to N. Myrtle/Myrtle (45-60 min) for a day trip if part of the group is interested in shopping/entertainment, etc. They're all within about an hour from Wilmington as well, I think (I haven't actually been to Topsail, but have heard good things).
Topsail fits what you are looking for. The condos there range from 3 stories to maybe 5 or 6 stories. If you are interested in Topsail give Kathy Parker a call. Topsail Island Real Estate
She's been in the real estate business longer than anyone else on Topsail. They handle rentals too. And she's a nice lady.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
I second the Ocean Isle recommendation--a group I went to college with (in the dark ages) used to go there in college and still goes every year. They have several duplexes, oceanfront, which are perfect for "staying together" but also being in different houses, different kitchens, etc. Sloane Realty is the company we always deal with there.

Ocean Isle, like every other square inch of NC, is much more developed and grown-up than it used to be, but the island itself is almost 100% residential; just a few "beach mart" places, nothing at all like Myrtle or Virginia Beach, or even like Atlantic, yet you just cross the bridge to get to good grocery stores and restaurants.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Bald Head Island presents a number of options as well.

Bald Head Island, NC | Beach Vacations, Rentals, Property For Sale
Very good suggestion. Tough to get more laid back than an island that does not allow cars.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM

683 posts, read 1,884,541 times
I love N. Topsail Beach (Topsail Island). It's very peaceful and non-commercialized. We've stayed in three communities that I think would meet your needs:

Bermuda Landing: 2/3 bedroom townhomes on the sound-side with a small pier and outdoor pool. Very easy walk to the beach with only one street to cross. http://www.treasurerealty.com/arial/images2/bermuda.jpg

St. Regis Resort: 1-3 bedroom condos on the oceanfront with indoor and outdoor pools. This is the only place on the island with an indoor pool. http://www.treasurerealty.com/rental...egis_2000.html

Topsail Reef: 1-2 bedroom condos on the oceanfront. No pool this season because of past hurricane damage. This is a great budget-friendly place. The one bedroom condos have a twin bunks in the hallway and most have pull-out sleep sofas so you can accommodate more for less. http://www.rentabeach.com/nc/navs/88...psailreef1.jpg

You can find multiple rental units in each of these locations from just about any rental agency on the island. It keeps you close to your friends/family, but not too close.

Out of the three, I think Bermuda Landing is my favorite. We really enjoyed fishing on the pier and watching the sun set over the sound every day. The walk to the beach is minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary