Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times

Advertisements

I'm happier with the early release than I was with school starting 30 minutes later on Tuesday!

It really messed up my sleep! Hubby takes daughter to school on his way to work but on Tuesday, I had to get out of bed and take her myself!

The nerve of Wake County Public Schools to cut into MY sleep time!!!

Ok...I'm just being silly, although it is the truth!!! I'm afraid that no matter what the school system comes up with, not everyone is going to agree with it or be happy with it.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,503 times
I don't think Friday afternoons after school would be a very productive time for teachers.

When teachers have the opportunity to get together to share materials/ideas and plan units together, great things can emerge. It pulls up weaker teachers. New teachers have the opportunity to tap into the well of experience. More experienced teachers get the benefit of newer things being taught in teacher education programs and the enthusiasm of their younger colleagues.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,538 times
The school days are being extended to make up for the early release on Wednesday. In my area, the YMCA is offering a new program for Wednesday only after school care. So it really won't be much of a hardship for parents, except that they may have to be for someone to care for their child that one afternoon.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:58 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westville View Post
The school days are being extended to make up for the early release on Wednesday. In my area, the YMCA is offering a new program for Wednesday only after school care. So it really won't be much of a hardship for parents, except that they may have to be for someone to care for their child that one afternoon.
Around here the Y will be charging $35/month for the extra time on Wednesdays.

It is annoying that so much gets debated, for so long, but with this issue it was announced & implemented within months.

My family is able to deal with it because we work from home but it is presenting a logistical & financial challenge for many people I know.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 AM

124 posts, read 292,932 times
I don't think people consider school "daycare" but unfortunately many people do have to work. Therefore that hour really affects alot of people. Although the Y is offering to take kids that one day, some people are strapped financially that $35 can add up, especially if you have more than one child. I agree that this was decided on and implemented very quickly. Although my family can deal with kids coming home early each week, I think it is ridiculous. Teachers have planning time during the day and adding 10 minutes to a morning is not going to have the same impact as the hour of instruction they are losing each Wed. Most kids will continue to come in late each day and that 10 minutes will be wasted.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
I will say it again, this was NOT the teachers idea. Nope, this is administration from the top. the superintendent. These people actually think it will make a difference. the only difference it makes is that kids go home early and lose timeon task in school. the 10 mins early everyday to make up the difference?? please. More meetings. yea that will help. Another oddball idea by the people who left the classroom. You know the types, those who were bad teachers become administrators, bad lawyers become bad judges.... Up the chain. then make dumb ideas that all are then stuck with. I have been to PLC meetings over the years, NOBODY wants to be there, hardly any constructive information is taken from the meetings.we mostly were late to the meetings or we left early. Meetings should be held after school or on Saturdays.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 AM

467 posts, read 1,774,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
I have been to PLC meetings over the years, NOBODY wants to be there, hardly any constructive information is taken from the meetings.we mostly were late to the meetings or we left early. Meetings should be held after school or on Saturdays.
You've been to PLC meetings and know how unproductive they can be, but think they should be held on Saturdays? And that will step up productivity how?

As a teacher, I can say that the PLC concept is not all bad. At my school, PLCs were given common planning periods, so scheduling meetings was quite easy. What denigrated the quality of a PLC meeting was administrative attendance to 'make sure the PLC was on task' and the administrative agenda, which would typically usurp the PLC agenda. It was NOT atypical to have a full meeting scheduled, only to have an AP show up with their own agenda, thus scrapping the one the team had planned.

Not sure the placement of this new early release thing will be fruitful at all, and can say that none of the teachers on my PLC are supporters of it.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:13 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
You've been to PLC meetings and know how unproductive they can be, but think they should be held on Saturdays? And that will step up productivity how?

As a teacher, I can say that the PLC concept is not all bad. At my school, PLCs were given common planning periods, so scheduling meetings was quite easy. What denigrated the quality of a PLC meeting was administrative attendance to 'make sure the PLC was on task' and the administrative agenda, which would typically usurp the PLC agenda. It was NOT atypical to have a full meeting scheduled, only to have an AP show up with their own agenda, thus scrapping the one the team had planned.

Not sure the placement of this new early release thing will be fruitful at all, and can say that none of the teachers on my PLC are supporters of it.
Meetings on saturday and get this how about they PAY US!! A CRAZY idea!!! But in most types of business when you show up for a meeting after working hours they PAID you!! Oh I forgot this is the right to work state which means a right to be fired!!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,176 times
I think I can deal with the early dismissal on Wednesdays, but the 6 days that they are dismissed 2.5 hrs early might throw me for a loop!

I am a sahm though, I can imagine it being a bit frustrating to those depending on child care.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:34 PM

797 posts, read 3,580,425 times
PLCs are working great for my wife here in North Durham, as she is a literacy coach/coordinator at a year round school and has seen major strides make since early last year. Definitely a good thing as a few others on here have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary