Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,954 times

Advertisements

We are house hunting in Raleigh and have ventured outside the beltline due to the difficulty of finding something suitable for our family in our price range. We have discovered a wonderful home in the older part of Brookhaven--south of Millbrook--and it seems to be a great location and stable area--except I don't see many children out and about. Does anyone know if families with small children are moving to the neighborhood? We have two children, ages 2 and 5, would like to have kids for them to play with in the neighborhood. There are few homes for sale currently, which I think is a good sign that people probably stay in the neighborhood and like it. The listing agent says that as retirees move out, younger families are moving in. Does anyone know if this is really the case? We are making a decision in the next couple weeks, so input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
" The listing agent says that as retirees move out, younger families are moving in. Does anyone know if this is really the case? "

I do not know the demographic make-up of Brookhaven, but I suggest you be on your toes with the agent.
What a statement to hear from a licensed real estate agent!
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ren-moved.html

Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 AM

635 posts, read 1,616,589 times
Are you out of town? If not, I would drive around the neighborhood and see if there are people out in the neighborhood that you can talk with. When we were deciding on the house we purchased, we stopped a woman at her mailbox down the street and let her know we were thinking of purchasing a home there and asked if she would answer a few questions. Our chat was really helpful in giving us additional confidence that we were making a good decision.

Naturally, anyone you speak with will have a subjective opinion on things, but most residents should know whether or not there are little kids around...

Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
ANYTIME you have questions about a particular neighborhood, ASK THE NEIGHBORS!!!

Neighbors will tell you the good, the bad and the ugly faster than you can ask!

I do it all the time. Stop and chat. Most are happy to help.

Vicki

Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

Brookhaven is a wonderful neighborhood. I know several families with young children that live there. They seem to really love it. BH was built in the late 50's and early 60's so it has already started to turn over from most of the original residents. Have you looked in Kershaw Hills? It is a little known small neighborthood on the backside of North Hills.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:02 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
ANYTIME you have questions about a particular neighborhood, ASK THE NEIGHBORS!!!

Neighbors will tell you the good, the bad and the ugly faster than you can ask!

I do it all the time. Stop and chat. Most are happy to help.

Vicki
I did that. I knocked on some doors before we bought. I highly recommend it.

edit: I justed looked at some of those houses online. Very nice neighborhood. I'm partial to those 1960's ranches. Love the one on Monticello.

Last edited by PDXmom; 07-09-2009 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Wow--I had no idea this was a big no-no for agents. That's really too bad, because we live an hour away and with two small kids it is incredibly difficult to get out to drive around at different times of the day to observe the area. It is a very logical question for homebuyers with kids to ask a realtor if they are not from/familiar with an area. I am, however, not interested in focusing on the realtor issue, just trying to find out quickly if Brookhaven has kids in the neighborhood so mine can have friends close by. We hope to put down roots and remain in one spot through their school age years. My hope was that in posting to this forum (my first thread), I would hear back from Raleigh residents who could answer whether or not small kids reside in Brookhaven! Thank you, those of you who responded with an answer to my question--I really appreciate it and hope others that have helpful feedback will respond, too.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
I have relatives who live in Brookhaven, but I still don't really know the answer to your question because I only know about the 5-6 houses right around them and that doesn't really extend to the whole 100+ houses in the area. It would just be an anecdote. (And even if I did have stats on the whole neighborhood, I have a newly minted broker's license so better not mess with that ).

I do know for sure that York Elementary is pretty much in the middle of Brookhaven, and that they have not been redistricted in at least the last 5 years at the elementary school level (there was some discussion of it at the middle school level this year, but it didn't happen). To me that would be a major advantage of the area with elementary school aged kids.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Thank you all for your ideas and thoughts--they've been so helpful! I actually managed to get out to the neighborhood a couple times and talked to some wonderful people. We ended up finding a home we love and plan to close in August---the residents of old Brookhaven really love the neighborhood, and we think we'll be happy there through the school age years, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary