U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:15 AM

832 posts, read 2,453,185 times

Advertisements

Has anyone from this list know of anyone whom have bought into that new sub-division on Fayetteville Road in Durham? Is it me or are the homes a bit over priced and have no yard space and absolutely no privacy? I will be home shopping sometime this year and would like to stay within or close to the 27713 zip code.

I like the Covad Farms sub-division off NC-751 (behind the South Point Mall), but the prices are just a bit too rich for my blood . Grandale is also a nice sub-division, but poor school district .... let the headaches begin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 06:48 AM

675 posts, read 1,728,425 times
Not sure which one you're talking about... Belcrest? We rented in the same zip and love it and built this year. PM me if you'd like to know anything about where we built, etc.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,439,722 times
It is called the Hills at Southpoint. I have driven through the subdivision. The homes do look nice. Hopefully the amenities and pool are similar to the Brier Creek subdivision.

I live in 27713 and we bought a new home in Fairfield. PM if you would like more information. We bought a house from a local builder, Jim Garman and Garman homes.

They are currently building in a new section of Fairfield subdivision. I think they are calling it the Reserve at Fairfield...

You can take a peak here, although this link might get deleted -> Garman Homes: Welcome to Fairfield! (http://www.garmanhomes.biz/fairfield/index.html# - broken link)

Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 AM

1,364 posts, read 5,761,732 times
I have friends that recently signed on to build at the Hills at Southpoint. We took a drive through there a month back and I liked the...well...hills of the neighborhood. Gives it some character...I do think they are slightly overpriced but it's a great location, a great (if overpriced) builder in that price range, and I'd expect them to do a top notch job with the finishes and amenities there.

As fester mentioned, Garman is building in the 400k range in Fairfield, which is also a nice spot. Additionally down there, I believe Southampton (Orleans) is districted to Jordan and is in the 330-400k range, though it's a much smaller neighborhood.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,439,722 times
I actually just ran by this subdivision this morning. Southampton actually reduced their price and they are now starting at the $270k. Unfortunately the biggest issue with this subdivision is that they clear cut everything, so there are not many trees. I did walk into their model home and they do look nice.

Homebuilder – Homes in PA, NJ, NY, VA, NC, SC, FL, IL - Orleans Homes

7918 Herndon Rd.
Durham, NC 27713
(919) 484-4070

Old 07-10-2009, 08:00 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,658,195 times
A co-worker bought a home there. Didn't seem too overpriced compared to otherplaces. However, I don't care for the location, but I don't have to live there!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 AM

832 posts, read 2,453,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
A co-worker bought a home there. Didn't seem too overpriced compared to otherplaces. However, I don't care for the location, but I don't have to live there!
Yeah, but does this co-worker have children that would like to go outside to play occasionally? There does not seem to be much if any yard space in the rear of these homes for kids to play etc.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,241,129 times
Jamerican, I thought Garmen in Fairfield had reduced some of their new homes or added different models that are below the 400K mark. Are you looking to build new? If so there are some new communities near Creekside Elementary. One is off of George King Rd, walking distance to Creekside. The other is down Ephesus just a bit.

I too really liked Grandale when we looked at it. It almost made me think I could tolerate going through the build process. But the schools were a deal breaker for us.

Covard Farms is amazing (if you can ignore those power lines at the entrance.) But their schools are Chatham County....not necessarily a bad thing.... but it's a 20-25 min car ride to the closest elementary. I can't imagine how long it takes the bus. Of course if you can afford Covard, you send your kids to private school.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,328,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Covard Farms is amazing (if you can ignore those power lines at the entrance.) But their schools are Chatham County....not necessarily a bad thing.... but it's a 20-25 min car ride to the closest elementary. I can't imagine how long it takes the bus. Of course if you can afford Covard, you send your kids to private school.
My dream home is located in Colvard Farms, so I drive through the area often. I always wondered how they divided the schools, since one side of the subdivision is in Chatham County and the other is in Durham County. According to their website (Home - Colvard Farms), they offer both school districts. Here are the school assignments (may change):

Chatham County
North Chatham Elementary School
North Chatham Middle School
Northwood High School

Durham County
Creekside Elementary
Githens Middle
Jordan High School

So it really depends on which side of the subdivision you live on, but you could always put your kids in private, charter or magnet schools.

The HOA dues are what get me ($2,252.80 per year including recreation center). But I guess if I'm making enough money to live in that area, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:29 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,328,324 times
I decided against the Hills at Southpoint because I didn't like how small the lots were, how the subdivision is right off the street like that, how they cleared all the trees out, or how narrow the streets are. I see they've cleared some land at the front. Maybe that means they're going to start building the rec area? When I was there back in October, I was told the rec area wouldn't be built until next year, so I'm happy to see the people who already live there may get the main amenity promised. While we liked some of the floor plans, I couldn't get around my negatives.

I wound up in Grandale, but my daughter attends Durham School of the Arts (DSA), so I didn't have to worry about schools. I've met a lot of people in my area who have kids who attend the schools they're zoned for and they express having no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary