Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 AM

23 posts, read 41,408 times

Advertisements

So I visited for 4 days this past week for the 1st time and was really impressed with the area. It's really weird when you read and read about a place and start building a mental imagine in your head and then see it for yourself. It's inevitable that you'll be disappointed with some things, and pleasantly surprised with others...

We got into town and immediately went to the Raleigh Times for something to eat (Burger was AMAZING, and Big Boss Bad Penny was quite possibly the best beer I have ever had). Great atmosphere, clean city, friendly people. The town itself was a ghost town though on Sunday. Other bars we went to included the Ale House, Napper Tandys, and 42nd Street Oyster Bar (ate there too, very good). We went to one or two more, can't remember the names... Only complaint I had was the crowd really seemed to be in the age range of 28-32. For a single 23 year old male, I'm just a little skeptical that I'll be able to find friends my age. Granted, we weren't really out until the late hours, we visited Sunday-Wednesday, and I know schools out... but does that change depending on those factors? Or is primarily just an older crowd?

Chapel Hill was awesome, UNC campus is really beautiful and Top of the Hill restaurant is probably the best place we went to. Great food and great beer, unfortunately we weren't there at night so I didn't get to see the nightlife in the town, but from what I saw I liked it a lot.

I only got a very small taste of Durham, ate at satisfaction which is a pretty cool bar. Had a chain vibe to it, but still a nice place. Driving though Durham, (again only very briefly) it seemed as if it was the "liveliest" city. Many people walking, and a little more compressed that the others.

I really enjoyed my visit though and may have a job lined up, maybe not though. The people there are so nice and welcoming, I'd love to move there. My biggest concern is whether or not I got the real taste for the city. I'm afraid things might be a little too spread out.. but I certainly didn't have enough time to see everything. I'm also afraid the days (sunday-wednesday) I went may have contributed to my experience a little negatively.

All in all, Raleigh is a great place, very beautiful, and a mix of just about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Great another Charlton Dude alias

Kidding - seriously glad you liked it but with all due respect you won't be qualified to know if it's a "great place" until you've lived here awhile. It has its pros and cons like any other place.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,534 times
There are a lot of colleges here....Duke, UNC, NC State to name a few. Not sure if they all stay in the area after they graduate but you will have the early to mid 20 somethings hanging around. I forgot where I read that Raleigh was rated as a good city for singles. The city is growing but by no means is it an NYC or Boston. So the night life is a little less. I'm 38 so can't help you there..lol But overall it's a great area to live and we love it.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit.

I have to say, having moved many times, that I've found that my gut instinct/initial reaction about a place I was moving was usually quite right in signaling to me how the place resonated with me personally. That's not to say there aren't things to discover in a place as you get to know more about it, but if your "vibe" is that things are missing, or slow - that's probably telling you something about how the place fits for you.

I'm not saying that to dissuade you - in fact in sounds like your overall visit was quite positive. I'm just suggesting that you trust yourself and your instincts, and not go with an assumption like: "It seemed _________, but I'm sure it will seem different once I move there."

Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
It is very interesting to see how everyone gets different impressions of places sometimes. You mention that the crowds you saw were mostly of the 28-32 range and are looking for people a little younger, while there are plenty of people on this board constantly in search of singles who are not under that age range!

I am now in the 28-32 age range, but I was 26 when I moved here. I've always had a diverse age group of friends wherever I've lived, partially due to my hobbies and the activities in which I participate. I enjoy the company of my 23 year old friends as much as my friends in their 40s and 50s. I try not to let age dictate my friendships (or relationship, to a certain extent).

It sounds like you had a nice visit. I can't remember the dates you were actually here, but I remember that we had a bit of a dead weekend sometime within the past few weeks, and you might have been here the days following that. This weekend is quite the opposite, at least for me!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Like Miamiblue, I live in the Glenwood South area of DT and can tell you that it's very hopping on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturday nights with lots of people. This is true even though it's the Summer and universities and colleges aren't in full session. And, over the last year, even the other evenings have seen action pick up. This will continue once all the new apartments and condos are occupied in the immediate area.
The average age of the Triangle as a whole is younger than both the state and national averages. There are lots of young people in the area and I don't think you'd have a hard time finding a scene or two or three. :-)
The other day, a friend of mine (in his late 20s) was walking his dog during the middle of workday and texted me about how many people were out on Glenwood South during the day. It shocked him. That too will continue to grow.
Last night, I went to see a really late movie and dropped a friend off at his car behind Sullivans on Glenwood South and there were tons of people out nearing 2AM. I was completely surprised by that. I will go out that late typically on the weekend but not that often on a "school night".
Glad you enjoyed your trip and good luck with your decision.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:39 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Great another Charlton Dude alias

Kidding - seriously glad you liked it but with all due respect you won't be qualified to know if it's a "great place" until you've lived here awhile. It has its pros and cons like any other place.
Nope, Charlton Dude would be exclaiming about Cary and freaking out about the homeless people he saw in Raleigh.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John4142 View Post
So I visited for 4 days this past week for the 1st time and was really impressed with the area. It's really weird when you read and read about a place and start building a mental imagine in your head and then see it for yourself. It's inevitable that you'll be disappointed with some things, and pleasantly surprised with others...

We got into town and immediately went to the Raleigh Times for something to eat (Burger was AMAZING, and Big Boss Bad Penny was quite possibly the best beer I have ever had). Great atmosphere, clean city, friendly people. The town itself was a ghost town though on Sunday. Other bars we went to included the Ale House, Napper Tandys, and 42nd Street Oyster Bar (ate there too, very good). We went to one or two more, can't remember the names... Only complaint I had was the crowd really seemed to be in the age range of 28-32. For a single 23 year old male, I'm just a little skeptical that I'll be able to find friends my age. Granted, we weren't really out until the late hours, we visited Sunday-Wednesday, and I know schools out... but does that change depending on those factors? Or is primarily just an older crowd?

Chapel Hill was awesome, UNC campus is really beautiful and Top of the Hill restaurant is probably the best place we went to. Great food and great beer, unfortunately we weren't there at night so I didn't get to see the nightlife in the town, but from what I saw I liked it a lot.

I only got a very small taste of Durham, ate at satisfaction which is a pretty cool bar. Had a chain vibe to it, but still a nice place. Driving though Durham, (again only very briefly) it seemed as if it was the "liveliest" city. Many people walking, and a little more compressed that the others.

I really enjoyed my visit though and may have a job lined up, maybe not though. The people there are so nice and welcoming, I'd love to move there. My biggest concern is whether or not I got the real taste for the city. I'm afraid things might be a little too spread out.. but I certainly didn't have enough time to see everything. I'm also afraid the days (sunday-wednesday) I went may have contributed to my experience a little negatively.

All in all, Raleigh is a great place, very beautiful, and a mix of just about everything.
Hit up Glenwood South on a Saturday night, and be ready to be impressed even more.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:52 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Nope, Charlton Dude would be exclaiming about Cary and freaking out about the homeless people he saw in Raleigh.
Not to mention that the building that Raleigh Times has been allowed to keep the cracked plaster walls (which I think are so unique and provide wonderful texture to the space). He'd want them all smooth sheet-rock and done in builder's beige!

BTW: I agree with the other posters....for a younger crowd....hit Glenwood South.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Great post. Glad you had a good time. Raleigh and Durham are smaller southern cities so I wouldn't expect them to have the feel of larger cities. But as you are finding out, for those who go in search of things to do there are many great things around. I agree with others that you would have seen more activity and more young people if you visited glenwood avenue on a Thur-Sat night.

For a younger crowd in downtown Raleigh I recommend:

Buckhead Saloon
Ess Lounge and Nightclub
City Limits Saloon

I went to City Limits with friends a few years ago and they actually had bikini bull riding. Not really my thing, but I must say it was quite interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary