U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,827,855 times

Advertisements

So I got out of work at 1 today and decided to check out downtown Raleigh while people were actually there in the middle of a workday, which I had actually never done. I wandered over to City Plaza and that has really started to come together! I haven't been paying much attention to it, but the big lights are up and had workmen on/in them doing stuff. In fact the whole place was buzzing with workers. I guess it's supposed to be open in September, and the street should reopen next month sometime. Then there's Charter One, which was a pit in the ground when I stayed at the Marriott in January. It's all above ground level (parking garage), and looks to be going up still. Does anyone know if they are planning on just continuing work until it's built, or are they finishing up the parking garage and then stopping for awhile?

In any event, I wish I had taken my camera, but maybe I'll stop by again this weekend to check things out.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:35 PM

387 posts, read 965,075 times
I was wondering the same thing. I was guessing that they are just building the parking deck right now, not the fancy mid-rise buildings illustrated in the banners on the construction fence. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:42 AM
DPK

4,237 posts, read 4,813,362 times
I hear both things from time to time on this project. Personally I thought that they were halting construction once the deck was complete, however if you view some of the renderings you'll note that the deck itself does not exceed the underground level. They are already throwing levels up above ground, so who knows.

It's also called "Charter Square" and not "Charter One".

http://www.chartersquare.com
http://www.craigdavisproperties.com/pages/cso.htm

Old 07-11-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I hear both things from time to time on this project. Personally I thought that they were halting construction once the deck was complete, however if you view some of the renderings you'll note that the deck itself does not exceed the underground level. They are already throwing levels up above ground, so who knows.

It's also called "Charter Square" and not "Charter One".

Charter Square
Charter Square
LOL, i didn't even realize i wrote that. oops!
in any event, that's interesting. i feel they shouldn't have these big banners out there for a year with the shiny tall buildings on them if they're just stopping after the parking deck indefinitely.

This is City Plaza for anyone who doesn't make it downtown much.
Attached Thumbnails
City Plaza and Charter One-dsc03196.jpg   City Plaza and Charter One-dsc03197.jpg   City Plaza and Charter One-dsc03199.jpg  

Old 07-11-2009, 07:17 AM

13,301 posts, read 21,416,761 times
I had heard the lafayette was a no go at this time but I hadn't heard that Charter Square was being halted.
Thanks for the photos. I was there last week but the light towers weren't up yet.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 AM

445 posts, read 1,765,304 times
Nice article in the N&O today on City Plaza. Charter Square is on hold due to financing issues. City debating about what to do with top of parking deck where building is supposed to be.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:22 AM

it's getting sort of irritating that all these cool projects don't have any financing and then just stop or are canceled. i mean it's all well and good that they're opening City Plaza and making everything look nice, but when it ends with a 10-foot high parking garage top, it really takes away from everything.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM

it's been a month, i have some more photos because i have friday afternoons off...
Attached Thumbnails
City Plaza and Charter One-city-plaza-buildings.jpg   City Plaza and Charter One-city-plaza-pavillion.jpg   City Plaza and Charter One-city-plaza-tower.jpg   City Plaza and Charter One-city-plaza-walkway.jpg   City Plaza and Charter One-city-plaza.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary