U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 PM

28 posts, read 67,959 times

Advertisements

Anyone have 2 cents on preference with these two schools?

Wups...actually I should say WFR High v. Franklin Academy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 PM

2,835 posts, read 6,924,512 times
My 2cents is to stay clear of WF-R Middle. I'd use the other 98 cents to get into Franklin Academy! Check into Heritage Middle too!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,258,475 times
We pulled one year at WFRMS... it was OK.. we like WFRHS a lot better.
Mrs. Hanzer (principal at WFRMS) runs a tight ship and enforces the rules !
Heritage Middle has problems.. Wakefield Middle has problems.. some just more/less than others.
I've known several people who decided to pull their kids out of Franklin Academy when it came time for middle school. Guess its not for everybody.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:43 AM

639 posts, read 1,406,674 times
Welcome to the wake county NC public schools. They ain't as good as the suburban New Jersy schools!! Nope.. Not even close. Just look at what they pay the teachers down here!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 AM

646 posts, read 1,920,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaKillian View Post
Anyone have 2 cents on preference with these two schools?

Wups...actually I should say WFR High v. Franklin Academy
Franklin Academy is not for every student....they use different teaching methods that...well....if you have a creative kid that can think for themselves...well...it's not set up for them.

We have a few kids in our neighborhood that go there (middle and high, they started in elementary)....their parents love it for the control...I've not heard the kids say anything good about it.

I've not heard anything bad about WFR however - many of my daughter's friends go there or will be going there next year as 9th graders and in speaking to their parents they haven't expressed concerns and the kids themselves (most who actually like school) are excited.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 AM

646 posts, read 1,920,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Welcome to the wake county NC public schools. They ain't as good as the suburban New Jersy schools!! Nope.. Not even close. Just look at what they pay the teachers down here!!!
Teacher pay has nothing to do wtih what the OP asked.

Oh, and in many cases, our schools in the Triangle are BETTER then some schools up north.....and I noticed you only included suburban NJ schools in your crud about North Carolina.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:52 AM

306 posts, read 831,625 times
I'm sure you already know this, but Franklin teaches by Direct instruction. It's very different to the way the WCPSS teaches. Although for MS and HS kids maybe not such a bad thing. But you should learn about DI if you are considering applying and then see it in action. Franklin seems to have a reputation for being one of the best charter schools in the country. But as I'm sure you also know, it's a lottery and they get something like 2000 applications a year for a handful of openings.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,074 times
I am a High Schooler at Franklin Academy and I love it. Our teachers and our staff do all they can to ensure that we are understanding and succeeding. The teacher-student ratio is much smaller and allows for more direct attention. All the teachers are very helpful in helping anyone in need. Also we have a smaller amount of violence and bullying. Don't diss FA until you've experienced it. It is also a College Prep School so that way students are more prepared for college, but that comes with a tough work load. We have an excellent basketball team, and our baseball and soccer teams are getting better every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary