Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else noticed the volume of traffic increase on I-540 over the past few days? My wife drives on I-540 from Falls of Neuse out to Lumley Road to get to Briercreek every morning around 8:00. Lately she has noticed the volume of traffic increase dramatically and her commute is stretching out to be about 10 minutes longer. The same goes for here trip home in the evening.

I know the latest section of I-540 opened a few months ago, but she says it seems like everybody just discovered this route last week. I am usually not a "Sky is falling" type poster, but I really worry that all the development going on in the western side of Wake County in response to the accessibility I-540 creates is ultimately going to overwelhm the roads capacity leading to not so great commute times in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 07:57 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
That is probably true. I try to avoid I-540 for my commutes to RTP because of the traffic. The backup from I-540 to I-40 is well known - it can be up to 2 miles of bumper-to-bumper gridlock during rush hour. The DOT claims that it will be resolved when the stretch from I-540 to HWY 54 and on toward Cary is opened. I don't see it, though - how does adding more commuters to a poorly designed interchange (I-540 and I-40) help?

I'm surprised to hear there is traffic as far back as Brier Creek, though. Maybe folks who are commuting to RTP are getting off on I-70 to avoid the I-540/I-40 interchange?

Regardless, it is likely to get worse, not better. The more homes built in Eastern Wake that are near I-540, the more cars will use I-540 for their commute. I would say the current commute times people are experiencing are probably going to be as good as it gets for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,734 times
This seems like a good place for a light rail/carpooling mention. Sad that as new a road as 540 is, it's already experiencing major problems. Are some folks that work at RTP able to change their schedules to miss the worst of rush hour?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Regardless, it is likely to get worse, not better. The more homes built in Eastern Wake that are near I-540, the more cars will use I-540 for their commute. I would say the current commute times people are experiencing are probably going to be as good as it gets for the foreseeable future.
I agree, BTW I meant to say Eastern Wake County in My Original Post, not Western.

When we were looking for a house this past summer, I was very tempted by some communities in Knightdale. I work in Downtown Raleigh and the commute is quite good from Knightdale. However, I was worried about my wifes commute though and the possibility of me changing jobs down the road and ending up in RTP. The good news is my wife may be changing jobs oon to a place closer to our home in Norht Raleigh which will not require travelling on I-540 which will really make her happy!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:57 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
This seems like a good place for a light rail/carpooling mention. Sad that as new a road as 540 is, it's already experiencing major problems. Are some folks that work at RTP able to change their schedules to miss the worst of rush hour?
Too bad the proposed light rail system doesn't come anywhere near the areas that are experiencing the growth. Carpooling would certainly help, though.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 AM

I thought I would revive this thread since my wife mentioned that traffic on 540 yesterday was particualarly poor. Her trip to Brier creek which usually takes only 25 minutes took about 40 minutes yesterday. Anybody know what is going on out there? Is there constrcution causing a slow down or is it merely volume related congestion?

Old 05-15-2007, 07:02 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
With 100 people moving to Wake County each day, i'm not surprised..

Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Too bad the proposed light rail system doesn't come anywhere near the areas that are experiencing the growth. Carpooling would certainly help, though.
True, the rail system (as it was proposed) wouldn't go to Knightdale. But think of this park-n-ride possibility. It's proposed that the North Raleigh line would end near Spring Forest & Atlantic. Instead of driving what will soon be over an hour from Knightdale to RTP, the Knightdale resident could drive to the park-n-ride at the end of the line and take the light rail the rest of the way.

With that option, 540 traffic gets better. The road wouldn't need to be widened or repaved as often. The commuter, while he might not save that much time, could read the paper or prepare for the workday ahead, and save gas and wear & tear on the car.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:03 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
It's not a mirage, and I doubt it is a short-term thing, either. My husband has a similar commute, and he's mentioned that his commute is regularly about 10 minutes longer now. He also sees a significant slowdown between Six Forks and Leesville, where traffic slows to about 30, sometimes slower, as the accordian effect happens with so many people entering the highway at those points. It then picks back up to posted speed until the I-40 exit, which has always bottle-necked.

I try to warn clients looking to buy homes in east Wake that while the commute is pretty smooth now, expect it to get heavier, perhaps significantly so, over the next 5 years.

Fortunately, other road projects have already begun (Falls of Neuse to Wakefield, hooray!) that are sorely needed, so while I-540 gets more congested, hopefully some other areas that are historically slower will pick up a bit? Looking hard for that silver lining...

Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
wow, something to look forward to, I close on my home in Knightdale in 6 weeks. I arrive at the office early though, so I will be on the road by 6:45am, no later...so I should by-pass the traffic pretty well, only time will tell...I leave work most days at 4pm, I am sure I will hit more traffic leaving RTP at 4pm then arriving at 7/7:30am... if not, patience is key...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Has anybody else noticed the volume of traffic increase on I-540 over the past few days? My wife drives on I-540 from Falls of Neuse out to Lumley Road to get to Briercreek every morning around 8:00. Lately she has noticed the volume of traffic increase dramatically and her commute is stretching out to be about 10 minutes longer. The same goes for here trip home in the evening.

I know the latest section of I-540 opened a few months ago, but she says it seems like everybody just discovered this route last week. I am usually not a "Sky is falling" type poster, but I really worry that all the development going on in the western side of Wake County in response to the accessibility I-540 creates is ultimately going to overwelhm the roads capacity leading to not so great commute times in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary