U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM

133 posts, read 399,722 times

Advertisements

Hi, we have to transfer our PA licenses into NC license. I have heard there is usually a long wait to usually get this done. I have heard that some locations are better than other. We have small kids, which unfortunately will have to bring with us, so we would prefer to find a place that is quicker. We live in NE Raleigh. Where is the best place to go? Should we make an appointment? What hours are the least crowded? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM

1,878 posts, read 3,206,386 times
I went to Fuquay in the morning and I had 2 people ahead of me in line. They only have space for about 16 people to sit in the office so I can't imagine it ever gets that hammered.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM

13,818 posts, read 24,687,715 times
Unless you are willing to travel there's a DMV located in NE Raleigh, can't remember the street it's off of now, but it was really quick for us. Just get there semi-early. Don't bother going after 11 AM.

You can make an appointment but I think they run 1-2 weeks in advance.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM

306 posts, read 828,808 times
Default Fv dmv

I second the DMV in Fuquay... we went in the morning and there was one other person there. We took our little one and they even had crayons for her to draw with while we took the test. It was very quick and easy.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 AM

426 posts, read 1,415,234 times
I assume that you are aware that its not just a matter of only transferring your license, you have to take/pass a written test

I went the the DMV in Cary and there were only 2 ppl in line. My Dh went twice and the line was out the door and he was told to come back another day.

Dont go on either on the beginning or end of the month/week. Dont go first thing in the morning or late afternoon. I went 10:30 on a Tuesday, mid month. If you dont have to do it tomorrow, Id totally make an appointment and wait the week or two.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM

294 posts, read 782,190 times
Fuquay for me too.....have done the license thing twice since coming to NC....

Cary = 3 hours
Fuquay = 15 minutes

I guess no awards for wait time at the Cary DMV....

Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 PM

46 posts, read 289,624 times
There are 3 steps.
License.
Plates.
Inspection.

No need for an appointment in FV.

Order your test books ahead of time online or pick them up at any office.

You'll take a written or computer test, 15 questionsI believe and you can miss 3.

They'll take your old license, snap a picture and hand you your new license.

You then need to go to a seperate office and pick up your license plates.

Lastly you need to go to ANY inspection station and get your car looked at.

That's no big deal either as long as your doors aren't falling off or something.
The inspection cost me $10 for a 2004 vehicle and was done in 10 minutes.
They give you a window sticker.

My wife and I went around 10 am and did the whole thing before lunch.

It's really not that big of a deal so don't worry.

Welcome!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 PM

3,710 posts, read 4,939,353 times
When we transferred ours, my wife made an appointment at the Cary DMV and had no more than a 5-minute wait. When she came back, she said they weren't busy, so I went down there without an appointment and had to wait no more than 10 minutes.

The actual process took about 20 minutes for me, although it may be slightly quicker now that they don't print your license right there. There's a computer test with 25 questions. You must get 20 correct in order to pass, and the test will automatically end when you reach the magic 20 correct answers, so don't freak out. Also a visual signs test you take in front of the officer. Other than that it's just getting all of your info into the system.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 PM

521 posts, read 1,505,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2fly View Post
We live in NE Raleigh. Where is the best place to go? Should we make an appointment? What hours are the least crowded? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Call the DMV office you're interested in and ask them when the best time to come is. They'll know better than anyone else.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,786,452 times
I got recommendations off of here to go to the one on Avent Ferry Rd. The whole thing took 30 min or less. Make sure you study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary