Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:50 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
I've heard conflicting stories on 'unlocked' iPhones....I don't know that I'd trust any of it unless I had it in writing to be honest.
Unlocked iPhones work just fine on both the AT&T and T-Mobile networks - they cannot be used on Verizon or Sprint, as those networks do not use GSM technology.

What unlocking the iPhone does so, though, is void the warranty. So, if something does go wrong with it and Apple sees that it's been unlocked, well, tough luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtlantaTransplant View Post
thanks for all the responses, sounds like everyone is split between ATT sucks and that they are awesome. generally, inside the triangle ATT is fine, correct?
I'm in NE Raleigh and got pretty much max coverage w/ AT&T wherever I went. The problem with AT&T service is three-fold.

1) They use GSM technology which is inferior to CDMA. It has a smaller range from cell towers and lower penetration in buildings. What this means is you could go from 5 bars to no service just by walking under a ledge, like I did in the Indinapolis airport.
2) Their compression is like listening to a 32-bit MP3 vs. a 192-bit MP3 for example. It's significantly dumbed down, I can only assume to allow more traffic. Even as 5 bars of coverage the call quality is horrible when compared to CDMA carrier call quality.
3) They have much less coverage as opposed to Verizon, even in NC. Look at the maps, Verizon pretty much has the entire state covered. I can vouch for their seaboard coverage. I drove down from Norfolk to the outer banks and had coverage the whole way.

The iPhone is cool. Not cool enough to deal with the crappy network. Items #1 and #2 is ultimately why I returned the phone and went back to Verizon. A cell phone is still a phone, if voice is degraded or choppy it's hard to justify having it.

I will say the data on AT&T was very fast (I have nothing to compare to though, I never used it on Verizon) and worked well. If you don't make many phone calls and are essentially using the phone as mobile internet it will work great.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Unlocked iPhones work just fine on both the AT&T and T-Mobile networks - they cannot be used on Verizon or Sprint, as those networks do not use GSM technology.

What unlocking the iPhone does so, though, is void the warranty. So, if something does go wrong with it and Apple sees that it's been unlocked, well, tough luck...
Also you have to hack the iPhone in order to get data on TMobile I believe.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
Egad, this is confusing. I have AT&T and I am thinking about getting an IPhone, but I am worried about the hassle. I would go with Verizon and get the Blackberry Storm, but I heard so many negative things about it.

Argh. Why does that have to be so difficult????
Wait another 6 months, Verizon is supposed to be releasing the Pre and Storm 2 in 2010.

It'll be worth waiting for.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 AM

321 posts, read 1,576,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I'm in NE Raleigh and got pretty much max coverage w/ AT&T wherever I went. The problem with AT&T service is three-fold.

1) They use GSM technology which is inferior to CDMA. It has a smaller range from cell towers and lower penetration in buildings. What this means is you could go from 5 bars to no service just by walking under a ledge, like I did in the Indinapolis airport.
2) Their compression is like listening to a 32-bit MP3 vs. a 192-bit MP3 for example. It's significantly dumbed down, I can only assume to allow more traffic. Even as 5 bars of coverage the call quality is horrible when compared to CDMA carrier call quality.
3) They have much less coverage as opposed to Verizon, even in NC. Look at the maps, Verizon pretty much has the entire state covered. I can vouch for their seaboard coverage. I drove down from Norfolk to the outer banks and had coverage the whole way.

The iPhone is cool. Not cool enough to deal with the crappy network. Items #1 and #2 is ultimately why I returned the phone and went back to Verizon. A cell phone is still a phone, if voice is degraded or choppy it's hard to justify having it.

I will say the data on AT&T was very fast (I have nothing to compare to though, I never used it on Verizon) and worked well. If you don't make many phone calls and are essentially using the phone as mobile internet it will work great.
I preface this by saying that I am not one of those apple fans that believes everything they do is a must buy (although I do have many of their products!) but I wanted to offer some of my personal experiences.

While you are correct about CDMA having better building penetration, etc. it is not the international standard. GSM is used pretty much across the globe, with CDMA being phased out in parts of europe. This makes GSM equipment "international" and one of the reasons apple chose ATT for the iphone; they wanted it to be an international phone that wouldn't require significant changes for the US. This is also a benefit to me as I travel to europe frequently and I can just add an international data plan for that period of time. When I was with Sprint or Verizon there were maybe 2 "international" phones that would go overseas; neither were great. I had to borrow a phone over there which meant I could not be reached easily from the States in an emergency.
I find the call quality on my iphone to be equivalent to the call quality I had with my razr on verizon several years ago. No worse, no better. It is better than the flip phone I had with Sprint (also CDMA).
Sure, the coverage may be somewhat less with ATT than verizon but I wouldn't say much less. I recently went over to the mountains and rarely had no signal; one spot in the valley was lacking but the locals said any network was lost there; it was truly a dead zone!

Bottom line: You will always hear good and bad stories about every cellphone network out there, it is good to hear all of these comments to help in a decision. I like that now you have the option of trying the network out for a 30 day period (plenty of time IMHO) to see how the network and the equipment work for YOU as an individual. This is the way to go if people are unsure of what they want.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna78 View Post
While you are correct about CDMA having better building penetration, etc. it is not the international standard. GSM is used pretty much across the globe, with CDMA being phased out in parts of europe. This makes GSM equipment "international" and one of the reasons apple chose ATT for the iphone; they wanted it to be an international phone that wouldn't require significant changes for the US.
Well technically Apple wanted Verizon to be the launch customer for the iPhone, but Verizon turned them down. You know how they (Verizon) like to cripple their phones, and Apple wanted too much control (according to Verizon) over their device. I don't think it had anything to do with wanting a one version of the iPhone, it had everything to do with Verizon saying thanks but no thanks (a decision I hope they realize was a mistake).

GSM is the international standard, at least for now. The current (new) crop of VZ phones have sim card support and do support it. I am awaiting LTE from Verizon on the 700 mhz band, and AT&T will be supporting the same. So hopefully in the future we won't have to be worried about GSM/CDMA, there will be one technology. That however is a year away from rollout in Verizons case and 5 years+ down the road to have the US covered.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:38 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
I'm from out of state, and I visited the Raleigh/Cary/Garner area for 4 days recently. I had my AT&T Blackberry Bold with me and had fast 3G service everywhere I went. The only time the signal went weak was when we were hiking deep into Umstead State Park, but even then even if I lost 3G service for a minute, it came back and I was receiving email. I never lost phone service.

FWIW, you can get a "refurb" Blackberry Bold through AT&T *FREE* with a 2 year contract. That's what I did. I got 2nd "refurb" Bold for my wife for only $199. Service activation and two 3G Blackberry Bolds for $300, that's a pretty damn good deal.

Sean

Old 07-26-2009, 07:25 AM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
Our service plans with AT&T is ending next month, so I'm doing the same research now. We had Verizon when we moved down here from NJ. We had no signal where we lived in Cary. We had no signal in and around (miles) our new house in E. Clayton. We switched to AT&T 2 years ago and have been happy with the signal.

Is anyone happy with Cricket? I know a couple people who love it but wanted more feedback.

Right now, I'm leaning towards staying with AT&T as the service has been good and we KNOW we get a signal in our house.

Lauren

Old 07-26-2009, 08:21 AM

300 posts, read 972,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

While unlocked iPhones work on T-Mobile, you won't get any 3G service because TMobile's 3G is different than AT&T's. Also, unlocking the iPhone via jailbreak voids the warranty assuming they can prove you jailbroke it (you can always unjailbreak to cover your tracks). Purchasing an unlocked iPhone overseas has no effect on the warranty.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:01 PM

164 posts, read 426,408 times
Default Quick update from op:

Just to let you guys know, I broke down and after much deliberation I went to AT&T and got the iPhone. Here's what I have found.

1. With Military discount I now have unlimited EVERYTHING on two iPhones for the price I was paying for one unlimited plan phone w/ Sprint.

2. Service is good, I have dropped a couple calls, but all in the same area, and really all in the same couple mile radius (in Chapel Hill), and from what I heard from a long term resident, cell phone towers are not permitted by the town until you reach a certain distance away from downtown.

3. The iPhone really is an awesome piece of technology. I'm sold on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary