Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuker View Post
Do drivers here just commit random acts or road rage or what?
Uh, yes. I've seen some pretty aggressive drivers on I-40 in this area and going to Greensboro and on 85 in Charlotte. Crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 07:48 AM

90 posts, read 226,564 times
Please, OP. The triangle has far and away the most polite drivers of any major city I've ever been to, and I've been to most (lived in seven). You can't expect everyone to be perfect, but by and large, I'm sure that cannot be your everyday experience, and I'm sure it doesn't compare to anything you experienced in your previous city, unless you are from Wichita, Kansas or someplace.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle1988 View Post
Please, OP. The triangle has far and away the most polite drivers of any major city I've ever been to, and I've been to most (lived in seven). You can't expect everyone to be perfect, but by and large, I'm sure that cannot be your everyday experience, and I'm sure it doesn't compare to anything you experienced in your previous city, unless you are from Wichita, Kansas or someplace.
Good point. The problem I have is that a lot of natives claim that it's only transplants that drive this way. I disagree! Sure transplants (just like anyone) can drive like crap, but I have a hard time believing that's it's all transplants when I see people driving like this coming out of my workplace, that I know are life long residents of the Raleigh/Johnston county area.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:59 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Good point. The problem I have is that a lot of natives claim that it's only transplants that drive this way. I disagree! Sure transplants (just like anyone) can drive like crap, but I have a hard time believing that's it's all transplants when I see people driving like this coming out of my workplace, that I know are life long residents of the Raleigh/Johnston county area.
Agreed. I've seen some really aggressive native drivers on my job. I'm afraid to ride with them to lunch.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 AM

90 posts, read 226,564 times
I'll throw out a statistic I learned in driving school: 91% of drivers believe they are "above average". The reality is that most of us are far worse drivers than we think. Driving is hard and dangerous.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:22 AM

72 posts, read 283,417 times
I can't say I've driven through any area where I haven't encountered a rude driver or two.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:31 AM

149 posts, read 431,620 times
Current NC law only requires that you maintain the speed limit in the left lane. There's nothing the HP can do. Other states do have laws on the books in the area of failing to yield to an overtaking vehicle that are beginning to get enforced.

I think the key takeaway here is to remember that the left lane(s) is for passing, not for cruising. If you are not passing another car in the moment, you really should be staying right. It makes for more lane changes, but it allows for a much more efficient traffic flow. And, please, please signal. I can't read your mind.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 AM

150 posts, read 506,991 times
I agree Bmateo and others.

For the most part, I think the triangle area has very "mellow" drivers. There are occasional aggressive drivers (who can't even touch the craziness of CA drivers IMO). While I agree that that the left lane is for passing, and that the OP should have been watching out for cars coming up behind him-there is still absolutely NO excuse for what the other driver did-that just compounded the problem and could have caused an accident. I'd look at it as an opportunity to evaluate my own driving so that next time it doesn't happen that way.
I will say that I see more crazy driving during rush hour on 40 when the roads are more clogged, and it isn't limited to problems with folks driving in the left- most lane.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinabean View Post
I agree Bmateo and others.

For the most part, I think the triangle area has very "mellow" drivers. There are occasional aggressive drivers (who can't even touch the craziness of CA drivers IMO). While I agree that that the left lane is for passing, and that the OP should have been watching out for cars coming up behind him-there is still absolutely NO excuse for what the other driver did-that just compounded the problem and could have caused an accident. I'd look at it as an opportunity to evaluate my own driving so that next time it doesn't happen that way.
I will say that I see more crazy driving during rush hour on 40 when the roads are more clogged, and it isn't limited to problems with folks driving in the left- most lane.
I totally agree with this. While the OP shouldn't have been cruising in the left lane, what the other driver did was rude, aggressive and dangerous (not to mention immature!). There is no excuse for that!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
... here is the diversity of driving styles that reflect the diversity of people here...
OH NO

Not that again

Quote:
...and there appear to even be some from wherever it is that they drive 40 miles down the freeway with their turn signals on.
Years ago, I used to rent a place with a guy from Chicago who was very anti-NC, and used to harp on the driving all the time. (note, I "used to"). He always used to get fired up about the turn signal thing, and he was convinced that NASCAR started in NC because everyone drove around with their left turn signal on, and finally just started turning left... Kinda funny, but since then I got married to an awesome woman who was born and raised here (in Lee County). Incedentally, she is the best driver I've ever known. I'm second best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary