Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,494,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
The one positive thing about having TWC, tho, is that I get to keep my TiVo. I don't know if I could ever go back to any company's DVR after using TiVo. I can schedule over the web and from my iPhone in case I remember that I wanted to DVR a show and forgot to do it at home, too (I know DTV has this, too, but the TiVo interface is definitely the best in the business).

I thought of calling DTV and having them come out one more time and see if they'd install it with the swim box. I might still do that within the 60 day trial period with TWC and see. If they come out and tell me they can't do it then I guess I can always go the Ebay route and get myself a swim box that way.
The Iphone app for DTV is very nice, the one for my BB isn't so great.

Next year they should be coming out with a TIVO/DTV reciever, which should be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 PM

14 posts, read 30,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
I had DTV come out yesterday and try to install their dish. Long story short: I only have one cable coming into the house and then it splits up in a smart box. According to the tech, his supervisor, and the 1-800 number, the only way to connect their system without drilling holes in the side of my house is to install a "swim box." Their policy, apparently, is to not install swim boxes unless you order three receivers, and two of them must be HD DVRs (they require two lines each).

DTV said the swim box costs the company $200 (and I wasn't about to pay it). They would only install it if I ordered 5 lines (two HD DVRs and one regular HD box). So, I told them to be on their merry way and that I'd go with Time Warner before drilling two holes on the side of my house (I confirmed this by calling the DTV customer service three times and I got the same answer each time).

So, I called TWC. The rep asked me if I had called anyone else and if I was comparing prices. I told her that I had called DTV. She asked what they were offering and at what price, so I told her "digital service, with HD, and Sho/HBO/Starz free for 6 months for $54.99." TWC actually beat that price by giving me their digital preferred package with HD for $38.95 a month plus an extra $5.00 a month for HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for 24 months. This is a great price, especially since it's guaranteed for two years and is much, much cheaper than the $60 a month I was going to have to pay for DirecTV, not including the Premium channels.

So, I'm happy with the price, now we'll see if I can be satisfied with the service, LOL.

Just thought I'd let you guys know in case you're considering ordering cable or DTV.

Cheers!

Why didn't you just get two HD DVR boxes and one standard def during install to get the free hardware? Then next week you return what you don't need?

Sorry you made the TWC mistake... you're not alone. Many people assume the difference between TWC/Directv isn't as significant as it is.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,642,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton76 View Post
Why didn't you just get two HD DVR boxes and one standard def during install to get the free hardware? Then next week you return what you don't need?

Sorry you made the TWC mistake... you're not alone. Many people assume the difference between TWC/Directv isn't as significant as it is.
DirectTV wanted to drill at our house too when we wanted to add HD. Before letting that happen or switching to TWC we called DishTV. They upgraded without drilling and actually we have found Dish to be better than DirectTV. The price is better too. Our installer with Dish couldn't understand why the need to drill another hole but said he heard that complaint from other customers.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:50 AM

14 posts, read 30,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
DirectTV wanted to drill at our house too when we wanted to add HD. Before letting that happen or switching to TWC we called DishTV. They upgraded without drilling and actually we have found Dish to be better than DirectTV. The price is better too. Our installer with Dish couldn't understand why the need to drill another hole but said he heard that complaint from other customers.
There is no need for DTV to drill anymore since the new hardware splits one cable into two tuners. If that happened recently, you probably had a bad installer guy.

DishNetwork wouldn't work for me (due to tree line) but the point was how great Directv is (although I am a fan) but how BAD BAD BAD BAD Time Warner Cable is.
I'd gladly pay at least 20% more $$$ to avoid TWC.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,076 times
To clarify something, the newer DirecTV technology is called "slim line," not swim line. Basically, previously DirecTV required one cable line for each tuner on a box; so, for a DVR (which has two tuners), you needed to run two separate lines from the satellite. The "slim line" dishes allow you to run two signals over one line, and so you only need one cable line coming into each box. Simplifies the installation.

From what I recall, when the slimline dishes were newly introduced DirecTV restricted their availability to customers who needed it because they had so many tuners in their house. Now I think it's more widely available, and I think the OP's experience is an aberration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary