Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 AM

331 posts, read 1,311,286 times

Advertisements

Wow this thread is too funny. I would not change from AT&T which is my carrier. Even Verizon doesnt get better service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:45 PM

311 posts, read 887,860 times
This thread makes me laugh because I found that I had no signal at the new HT in Wakefield. I was standing in front of the ice cream trying to decide which one to get and tried to call home for a second opinion. No signal! HT won out b/c I bought 2 since I couldn't decide

Old 07-21-2009, 02:59 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,650 times
Default Maybe Harris Teeter do block cellphone signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
The problem is not Harris Teeter. The problem is that area of West Cary has terrible cell service from every carrier. Look at this site: Cell Phone Towers - Mobiledia

All the cell towers are in that area are either on 751 or 55. The best coverage for that area would be Verizon since their signal penetrates buildings the best (since they use the 850mhz frequency).

The best thing you can do is call your provider and report bad service in that area. If it makes fiscal sense then some carrier will put up a cell site in that area.
reading thru this thread it seems that many other HT stores also don't have cellphone reception coincidence or what? any Techies here know how to find out if a cell reception is being blocked by the store? and if they are 'jamming' I have no idea what their motive for doing so is. Strange that excellent reception in the car park and a dead zone immediatley you walk in the door of the store.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 PM

300 posts, read 973,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
reading thru this thread it seems that many other HT stores also don't have cellphone reception coincidence or what? any Techies here know how to find out if a cell reception is being blocked by the store? and if they are 'jamming' I have no idea what their motive for doing so is. Strange that excellent reception in the car park and a dead zone immediatley you walk in the door of the store.
No offense, but do you not understand how radio transmissions work? Cell coverage in that area of Cary is weak. According to cellreception.com, Wakefield also has poor overall cell coverage. Read my previous post about cell towers. Trying to make a radio signal penetrate a brick walled, steel frame building will degrade performance dramatically. Just because you get 4 bars outside a building doesn't mean you'll get 4 bars inside.

Think about what you're saying. Why would a store purposely jam a cell signal? So your significant other can't call you to remind you to buy another $50 of groceries?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,840 times
To all the doubters, I know it sounds weird, but I too experience the same thing at Harris Teeter! I shop at the one in Holly Springs and the minute I walk through the doors, no cell coverage! I get fine reception in many other large "box" stores (Wal-mart in both Holly Springs and Cary, Lowe's Foods in Holly Springs and Cary, etc) and in all the smaller stores that surround this HT as well. And yes, I do understand radio transmission, thank you. My DH works for a company that makes cell phones... his only explanation was "something in the way the store was built, maybe?".... still wondering...

Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 PM

4,165 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartheocean View Post
To all the doubters, I know it sounds weird, but I too experience the same thing at Harris Teeter! I shop at the one in Holly Springs and the minute I walk through the doors, no cell coverage! I get fine reception in many other large "box" stores (Wal-mart in both Holly Springs and Cary, Lowe's Foods in Holly Springs and Cary, etc) and in all the smaller stores that surround this HT as well. And yes, I do understand radio transmission, thank you. My DH works for a company that makes cell phones... his only explanation was "something in the way the store was built, maybe?".... still wondering...
Cell phones are very low power transceivers and it does not take much to affect signal strength. If the RF signals were amplified to improve signal strength, the battery would drain quickly and you wouldn't want that much RF energy sitting right next to your head while using the phone.

Supplying sufficient long lasting battery power to run the phone transceiver plus all the other gadgets and gizmos found on smart phones these days is a delicate balancing act even with the latest advancements in battery technology development currently in use today.

Technology doesn't always equal perfection.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:04 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Cell phones are very low power transceivers and it does not take much to affect signal strength. If the RF signals were amplified to improve signal strength, the battery would drain quickly and you wouldn't want that much RF energy sitting right next to your head while using the phone.

Supplying sufficient long lasting battery power to run the phone transceiver plus all the other gadgets and gizmos found on smart phones these days is a delicate balancing act even with the latest advancements in battery technology development currently in use today.

Technology doesn't always equal perfection.
No, I know you all think we are crazy, but it is Harris Teeter...full battery or not. I'm sure they aren't jamming, but it could be lighting or something in the way the building is constructed, but it is real. Its really annoying, especially when you call the hubby to find out if you need more soap & can't get thru!!Lets put it this way, has anyone successfully had a 5 minute conversation from in a Harris Teeter? We've had the problem in more than one store.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
No, I know you all think we are crazy, but it is Harris Teeter...full battery or not. I'm sure they aren't jamming, but it could be lighting or something in the way the building is constructed, but it is real. Its really annoying, especially when you call the hubby to find out if you need more soap & can't get thru!!Lets put it this way, has anyone successfully had a 5 minute conversation from in a Harris Teeter? We've had the problem in more than one store.
More likely that HT jams the cell signal to stop their employee's wasting time chatting - thats why they all go outside to make their phonecalls

Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Oh for the love of...

Harris Teeter is not intentionally jamming your cell phones. As previously stated that area of Cary has relatively few towers. Also I doubt it is primarily a HT thing. You are in a grocery store with tons of aisles, random corners, walls, and heavily reinforced things.

Similarly, with a grocery store that is an awful lot of space to keep cool due to the nature of it being food in general. HT may have a specific construction technique that optimizes their cost of heating and air conditioning. Thicker walls and more insulation would easily kill off signals from surrounding towers.

Both AT&T and Verizon operate on 850mhz which are the best bets for building penetration. Other carriers like Sprint operate on 1900mhz which can travel farther than 850mhz, but are not as good in terms of building penetration.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:48 AM

300 posts, read 973,137 times
Well said, DPK. One point of clarification: In the Carolinas, AT&T doesn't operate on the 850mhz band. They only have licenses on the 1900mhz band (Verizon/Alltel have all the 850mhz goodness here).

Another thing I noticed about the Cary Park HT is that it's below grade which probably makes it even harder for the cell signals to penetrate the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary