Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:39 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
So, one person can determine if there is a "need" for another Wal Mart? Does anyone "suffer" from a lack of any retail store? I, certainly don't need another Wal Mart because I don't shop at any Wal Mart but I don't think I'm the one that determines the need.

Another Wal Mart means many JOBS so I'm happy it is there. Even though I won't be shopping there! Sorry Wal Mart...I'm a Target Girl!

Vicki
Target skims the cream and only aims at certain customers and departments.

Wally's not really bad once you get used to it.

In fact, the New Hope Church Rd store has greatly improved with a new manager. She has done more than any other manager this store has seen since the 1990's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

In fact, the New Hope Church Rd store has greatly improved with a new manager. She has done more than any other manager this store has seen since the 1990's.
SF...hubby works in the cotton industry. He feels that WalMart is to blame for lots of mills closing and workers being out of work with all the stuff wal mart brings in from China. I've given up trying to change his mind so I'll avoid wal mart to keep the peace! I don't care if they open 50 more stores. Jobs are a good thing!

Vicki

Old 10-02-2010, 05:29 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
SF...hubby works in the cotton industry. He feels that WalMart is to blame for lots of mills closing and workers being out of work with all the stuff wal mart brings in from China.
That's the same rationale people use to protest new Wal-Marts -- it will drive other stores out of business. It's not the Wal-Mart that does that, it is the people that shop there. Consumers are often looking for a bargain and Wal-Mart usually has lower prices. If people don't want a Wal-Mart in their community, all they have to do is not shop there. The store won't meet the financial objectives and will close.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

I wouldn't say Target "skims the cream". They're pretty broad-based as well.

I'll agree that Wal-Mart's can vary greatly in quality. I haven't been to tons, but some (like the one in Durham @ New Hope) are crummy, while others are pretty nice.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,285 times
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. Hope to post often. This article caught my eye. I drive down Capital daily, and I cannot see any construction going on. I only see a sea of trees!. In order to see it, do I actually have to drive pass the SuperTarget?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:36 PM

776 posts, read 1,683,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthbendRd View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. Hope to post often. This article caught my eye. I drive down Capital daily, and I cannot see any construction going on. I only see a sea of trees!. In order to see it, do I actually have to drive pass the SuperTarget?
Correct, you have to drive down Fox Rd in order to get a glimpse of it. Even then, you can only see a small portion of it, there's a big mound of dirt obstructing it from the street.

Personally, I haaaaaate Target and can only shop there if I need something in particular or if Mrs. Frrrunkis! needs to stop there. Walmart seems to be a tad cheaper with a much better selection. Especially when it comes to food, I have no problem buying the Great Value brand, and those items are usually 40%-60% cheaper than the brand name items. It seems like Target is more geared towards the hipster, young crowd.

Any idea if this Walmart is the "new style" or is it like Wake Forest? The one in Zebulon is the newer style Super Walmarts, with the dark burgundy floors and darker interior...different layout. It's got a more Costco feel to it and I find it easier to navigate than the Wake Forest or New Hope one.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Quote:
SF...hubby works in the cotton industry. He feels that WalMart is to blame for lots of mills closing and workers being out of work with all the stuff wal mart brings in from China. I've given up trying to change his mind so I'll avoid wal mart to keep the peace! I don't care if they open 50 more stores. Jobs are a good thing!

Vicki
I agree about China.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:18 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,871,146 times
Quote:

Vicki
Everything is being moved to China or India for cheaper labor costs, and there's more big corporations to blame besides Walmart. It doesn't matter what our government does now to boost the economy because all these lost jobs are not coming back.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Everything is being moved to China or India for cheaper labor costs, and there's more big corporations to blame besides Walmart. It doesn't matter what our government does now to boost the economy because all these lost jobs are not coming back.
Best example...go to DisneyWorld and walk through one of their many stores. Just about everything they're hawking is made in China. I just started picking up random stuff...stuffed animals, t-shirts, figurines, those little water bottle fans...China, China, China, China. Magnets, pens, pajamas, sunglasses...China, China, China, China.

It's pretty insane.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Wasn't it Wal Mart that used to advertise that "everything is made in America"? When did that change?

We all KNOW that the reason everything is made in China is that the labor is so cheap. Thus, Wal Mart can sell items cheaper. I know lots of people that didn't want Wal Mart in Wake Forest. They fought it for years. However, now that Wal Mart is there, they shop there.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary