Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:47 PM

132 posts, read 444,887 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Raleigh/Durham and I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the area. I think it is important to look at the pluses and minuses of an area and I want to be realistic too. I was wondering if people would share what they like and what they don't like about Raleigh/Durham. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 09:48 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Cmow;
As far as I can see, and this is based on about five visits to the area in three different seasons, the only down side I can see is the humidity. I didn't like it, but I realized that I don't like the 110 degree temp in Murrieta either. So that is why when looking for a house, I made sure we had a very good air conditioner, in fact, I plan to hang meat in our house during the summer. I hate to be hot......
The plus's for us, were the people are so nice it is amazing. You never meet strangers, they are all one big community. Always ready to help give you directions, tell you the best place to eat, lead you to the best parks. Amazing.
The green.... Nothing like it. Of course I come from a desert, where brown is the norm, I love the green...
My advice is to visit during different times of the year, check out the grocery stores, see where the hospitals are, visit the places that you would go to if you were living there, like the DMV, Doctors offices, post offices. See if it is something that feels like home, let your "feelings" tell you if it is the right place or not.
Good luck!!

Liz

Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 11,927 times
I am a single woman just widowed last year and with the cost of homes and insurance in Florida I am forced to sell and move. I have been deciding on raleigh/surham area. I have my first trip scheduled for 4/27 - 4/30. I am so worried but will loose my house if I stay here much longer after 14 years. Can anyone tell me if the people are friendly, if it is nice there, how is the weather, and what about state tax and property tax? I will have about $130,000.00 to buy and get settled up there. I would appreciate some advise from someone who lives there. Thank you. cyndiob@bellsouth.net or through this forum

Old 04-22-2007, 04:43 PM

214 posts, read 663,631 times
My wife and I are moving in 1 week(actually, I'm already here) and I can definitely tell you the property taxes and homeowner's is much better in NC. Our homeowners on a 1500sf starter home in Fl is 1200 (and that's one of the better rates I've heard of). We are in the process of buying a 2000sf home in Garner (Cleveland) and the homeowners, with better coverage, is 488.

I don't know where you're from in Florida but here's a quick run down on the differences:
1)Topography - Florida is flat where as Raleigh has rolling hills.
2)Vegetation - Florida has some pine trees and palm trees but neither seems overly dense. Raleigh has trees of all kinds - except the palms - and their growth is tremendously dense. In Florida, you could see your house from 3 miles away if you stand on a tall building. In Raleigh, you won't see anything but trees and more trees. The combination of hills and trees can make navigating tough for newcomers to the area because you may not see your turn until you're at it. Where as in Florida, you'll see your turn 1/2 a mile in advance.
3)seasons - NC has them. Raleigh has a mild winter and a blistering summer, but has a beautiful spring and a gorgeous fall. Florida has a 2 week spring and skips fall altogether.
4)Beaches - Depending on where you lived in Florida, you may have had immediate access to the beach. Raleigh is about 2 hours away from Wilmington. I have spent a lot of time at the beaches of the panhandle and the NC beaches are nice, but they can't compare to the WHITE sands of the gulf.
5)zoning - Where I live in Florida doesn't seem to have any zoning. Homes are next to bluecollar businesses which are across the street from trailers which backs up to a million dollar home. There isn't a street that doesn't have a billboard on it. Raleigh is probably too strict with their zoning but it does make for a cleaner city. To put this into perspective, Raleigh has very tight regulations on signs - so tight that the Mello Mushroom had to get special permission to have these 6' tall mushrooms in front of their restaurant. And the only way they got them passed was by claiming that they were art and not a sign.
6)People in both areas are very friendly.

Is the 130000 what you're looking to spend on a house or what you're looking to put down.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:15 PM

56 posts, read 209,772 times
My father (originally from NC) retired to Cary a couple of years ago. We love the RTP area and I am hoping we are able to relocate to the area from NJ in a year or so. Our neighbors are looking there now. I gather the area is rather transient with people coming and going all the time?

Old 04-22-2007, 06:30 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS43 View Post
My father (originally from NC) retired to Cary a couple of years ago. We love the RTP area and I am hoping we are able to relocate to the area from NJ in a year or so. Our neighbors are looking there now. I gather the area is rather transient with people coming and going all the time?
People coming.....very few going....lol! A few folks do get transferred out, but most leave quite unwillingly!

When you say RTP...that is simply one area of all business, tech and some manufacturing.....no housing or stores.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:37 PM

I did not want to limit my love of the area to Cary, I must learn the local lingo. Correction, my husband's company is looking at RTP.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:42 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS43 View Post
I did not want to limit my love of the area to Cary, I must learn the local lingo. Correction, my husband's company is looking at RTP.
LOL....yeah....RTP is just a business area...no one lives there.

Most folks just say 'The Triangle" to cover pretty much all of Wake/Durham/Orange counties though the three cities that make the points are Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill specifically.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:31 AM

Ironically I was corresponding with someone born and raised in the area on another board. When I went back and looked at her note I noticed she referred to the area as RTP as well. Oh well...

Old 04-23-2007, 07:38 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
With regards to NC vs. FL, I've been pretty vocal about choosing NC after relocating here from the Tampa area!

If you're coming from Florida, keep in mind that NC does have income tax, although if you're retired, hopefully you are in a lower bracket at this point anyway. The cheaper property tax (estimate 1% of the sale price) and cheaper insurance (laughably cheaper!) should make up for that expense, however.

The biggest thing that we love about Raleigh is the lifestyle, the pace. It's less frenetic here. Traffic can get heavy at times, nothing like FL, but even the drivers seem more polite - they'll smile and wave at you when you merge, instead of rushing to cut you off. Also, the mild weather and beautiful scenery, even just during my day to day activities. The rolling hills, green trees everywhere, and the weather makes it nice to actually be outside to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary