Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I honestly think its better to take US29 out of the area to the west and swing back east later it is that bad!
29 is a GREAT road IMO. I looked at the map, and it is probably way out of your way (and you can still get screwed if you are driving the DC/NOVA area in rush hour), but it is a nicer, more scenic drive, and except for Charlottesville, it is pretty much open and flowing. You can follow it all the way down to Greensboro, but you can also cut accross a few country roads to end up in Durham. I live in Sanford, so I just flip over to 421 and follow it home, it is "very" on the way for me.

If yo take 29, there is a nice "diamond in the rough" restaurant. Vito's is in Lovingston, VA, on the right as you're heading S. on 29. Not the greatest place ever, but definitely the best place between Charlottesville and G-boro. Decent Italian food, good pizza's, good sammich's, friendly service, and delicious home-made chips. We pass through there a lot for mountainbiking trips to NOVA, and this is a favorite stop for food.

<EDIT> I am not recommending to take 29 because I think it is out of the way, but if you don't mind the extra miles/time, it really is a nice road. I still think 95 at "off hours" is your best bet for the quickest way down. I guess it all depends on exactly where you will start and finish too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
Lucky indeed. I've gone through at least 50 times in the past couple years at rush hour, and I've never had a problem with 95 in Richmond. Every time that I've swung out and around on 295 it's added about 20 minutes to my trip (I'm meticulous with tracking my times, gotta have something to do on that drive). Not to mention if you want to pick up 85 South you have to either backtrack a bit or cut through on a side road around Petersburg.
I agree. I lived in Richmond for over four years. The part of I-95 that goes through Richmond was always smooth sailing. It was then and it is now everytime I go through. It is the NOVA portion of I-95 that is a real pain IMO.

FWIW, I never take the 295 route either becasue I like to pick up I-85 from I95.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:48 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
I don't know where you're coming from in DE, but this might be an option for you. I used to live in Leesburg, VA and when I went down to Fredericksburg or points south I would go this way sometimes (ditto to Baltimore and points north). It's a nice drive for the most part and you would be going against a lot of traffic in MD and parts of western NoVA. Once you get to Fredericksburg and points south you should be home free from the gridlock.

BTW I never take 295 around Richmond, because even if I run into a backup on 95 in Richmond it's never lasted more than 15 minutes. Do yourself a favor and don't bother taking 295 around Richmond. Also, if you plan on taking I-85 towards the RDU area, 295 comes out on 95 after the 85 exit, so you would have to double back. I take 85 in Petersburg to get to Raleigh, then either rt 1 in Henderson, or 70 east once I get to Durham. I live in NW Raleigh.

Good luck!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...84&ie=UTF8&z=9

Old 07-23-2009, 07:41 AM

152 posts, read 541,736 times
Concur with most here. Unfortunately the 95 corridor is really the most direct way and even though we've hit some snarls it is the fastest. If you go off hours we've been able to manage Philly to Raleigh in 6-7 hours. My brother leaves Philly around 6 AM Sat mornings and gets here for lunch, if traveling with the kids, it's around 2 or 3 PM.

Have taken many alternate routes over the years...like splitting off at Fredricksburg on 17 N (I think). This is nice for places to stop, eat and antique shop at the VA/MD border but definitely adds time.

Have done the Bay Bridge but driving in the DE peninsula is very slow with limited places to stop for gas, meals and things to look at that help the time to pass.

Heading home, we always take 295 S (which reminds me of the Merritt Parkway in CN--when heading to the Cape), hook up with 495. We have taken 495 at the Greenbelt area but that loops wide. We typically stay on 295 and meet up with 495/95 at Potomac Water Park, go over the bridge (which is MUCH better these days--they add lanes going in and out of the city depending on time of day). Then catch 95 S. Sometimes it has gone so fast that we missed the 95 split and actually stayed on 495 looping around 1-2 exits past the split.

At Richmond, I fully agree with those staying on 95. The 295 loop there goes very wide and seems best only for those going to coastal spots. Once we took the loop heading to Philly hit a huge traffic jams for those trying to go towards Williamsburg (this was a weekend). Straight through has ALWAYS been best, even at "rush" hour.

If heading towards the east side of Raleigh I'd stay on 95 vs. the 85 split. If wanting to end up towards Durham or N. Raleigh 85 is good. The 85 corridor is less crowded but has limited places to stop for gas, meals etc. I think it is longer too.

Safe Travels.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:23 AM

306 posts, read 882,913 times
Of course, everyone has their own opinions and experiences. It's good that you're splitting up the trip - especially with a little one it can be stressful! 295 will take you maybe 15 minutes longer then 95 without traffic will. It's just a matter of how you like to drive - 295 tends to be very quiet and open and more than likely you won't have to slow down the whole time you're on it. We just can't stand the pocket traffic on 95 that seems to occur for no reason in that area.

We always take 301 in MD. We did it once for a much longer haul and it took forever. Totally agree about staying away from 1 - we tried that once, too. If you're taking a detour, so are a ton of other people!

One thing I find very helpful in VA is 511 on the cell phone - gives you traffic updates. I've found it helpful in deciding when to plan stops for the kids! Good luck-

Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 9,044 times
Default Take 301

I second rt. 301. We have been back and forth between Baltimore and Raleigh for the last few months, and there is know better route. We even hit DC traffic in the late at nigh because of construction.

Take 95 S to 895 S (around Baltimore). It will take you through the Harbor Tunnel. Pick up Rt. 97 and then exit at rt. 301 S, which you an take all the way to Richmond. It has a few lights when you go through small towns, but it is so much better than 495/95/295. It will add about 20min-30 min. to your cute. Totally worth it.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:49 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I also take 95 rather than 295. It's saved us time. DC traffic makes me crazy, so I've started driving at night now and it's so much easier. I also take 85, it seems like people don't drive as crazy on 85 as 95. That part may all be in my head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary