Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM

228 posts, read 802,642 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am afraid I know the answer already (nothing), but would any public agency do anything if I report a driver for causing near accidents? The situation was I was on 54 going into work (UNC) as usual. I was in the left lane going 50 mph (in a 45), keeping up with traffic. This complete jerk in a huge truck decided to ride my rear and swerve wildly (riding on the shoulder, riding halfway into the other lane), because apparently I wasn't going fast enough for him. At one point there was a car length between my car and the car in the left lane. So he hit the gas, swerved to the right lane, then cut me off with inches to spare. It was a near accident, but I see this so many times by just complete idiots. I'm wondering if anything can be done?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 11:16 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,637 times
When someone deliberately cuts me off with no regard for my safety, I use to speed up and pass them... just to release several pennies in my wake. They wouldn't be able to keep up after that, so they just slowed down. Then again, that was when I was a young/dumb wannabe "street-racer" in FL

Old 07-23-2009, 11:23 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Yes, simply move over and let the aggressive drive pass. If you are going to stay in the left lane to prove a point, expect aggressive drivers to do something well..........aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
Hi all,

I am afraid I know the answer already (nothing), but would any public agency do anything if I report a driver for causing near accidents? The situation was I was on 54 going into work (UNC) as usual. I was in the left lane going 50 mph (in a 45), keeping up with traffic. This complete jerk in a huge truck decided to ride my rear and swerve wildly (riding on the shoulder, riding halfway into the other lane), because apparently I wasn't going fast enough for him. At one point there was a car length between my car and the car in the left lane. So he hit the gas, swerved to the right lane, then cut me off with inches to spare. It was a near accident, but I see this so many times by just complete idiots. I'm wondering if anything can be done?

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:26 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Honestly, if you throw pennies, you better be prepared for someone getting PO'd to the point of a physical confrontation.
Someone pulled something stupid like that to a friend of mine in his younger days. Good thing the police showed up. My friend did time and the guys life was saved by the police showing up in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
When someone deliberately cuts me off with no regard for my safety, I use to speed up and pass them... just to release several pennies in my wake. They wouldn't be able to keep up after that, so they just slowed down. Then again, that was when I was a young/dumb wannabe "street-racer" in FL

Old 07-23-2009, 11:27 AM

72 posts, read 256,784 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
If the incident took place in Cary, the Cary Police have established a “Road Watch” hotline at 919-319-4521 for people to report aggressive driving. If numerous complaints are received for a particular area, police said they would increase visibility on the street through patrols, radar trailers and speed sentries that display speeds to oncoming drivers. If multiple reports are issued for the same car, they may send a nastygram letter to the address on the car's registration.

See Cary to target aggressive drivers :: WRAL.com

I'm not aware of any analogous hotlines elsewhere in the Triangle area.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:27 AM

228 posts, read 802,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Yes, simply move over and let the aggressive drive pass. If you are going to stay in the left lane to prove a point, expect aggressive drivers to do something well..........aggressive.
In this instance I couldn't because there was a car to the right, and a car ahead of me, and I couldn't slow down without getting rearended by the jerk. I wasn't proving a point, but at the same time I'm not going to be cowed by anyone.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
If the truck was marked, call the company that owns it.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:31 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,740 times
I always say that driving is a combination personality + intelligence test. Gibbie99, that driver didn't get a high score on either. Glad you're okay though.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,394 times
Quote:
In this instance I couldn't because there was a car to the right, and a car ahead of me, and I couldn't slow down without getting rearended by the jerk. I wasn't proving a point, but at the same time I'm not going to be cowed by anyone.

I completely agree. If you are travelling on an INTERSTATE, it is commonly expected and sometimes required to keep right except to pass.

Route 54 is not an interstate. Frequent turning can be made from the left lane and the right lane equally. At every point of that long road. So, to have to keep right in deference to the testosterone of a moron, I would keep my lane also and let him deal with his issues. BTDT.

I reserve my 911 calls for the worst offenders. When NCHP answers, I tell them the town I am traveling and they connect me. I then deal directly with the local dispatcher and give the info. One morning less than a year ago I called ahead on one of the biggest offenders I have ever seen, the cops were waiting and pulled him over. He got numerous citations. This was all on my word. Perhaps others called to but I will never know that.

I too am sick of being expected to bow to jerks. I started driving in 1976 and have done some stupid things, but eventually I became a safe and courteous driver, and know a roadhog and bully when I see one. Make the call, just be sure to get the license plate number. I always have to shake my head when my wife tells me she "didn't have time" when she encounters one of these fools.

Poster who got deleted: you are off-base with your Yankee comment. I am a Northerner, always will be. Some of the country boys I have seen in this state drive about as aggressively and stupidly as any I have seen in my driving days. Don't let the geography of the driver fool you, IMO it's that state of happiness or lack thereof that is shaping many behaviors and attitudes these days. Whole lotta hatin' goin' on.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM

88 posts, read 287,449 times
Grab the wheel firm, and hit brakes.... You win a new car.. Seriously someone rides my butt I got 13" brakes , I'll scare them a lil and 99% of the time they decide to slow down. Just remember you get hit in the rear its there fault in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary