Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:42 AM

222 posts, read 545,876 times

Advertisements

I just did all of this two days ago.

First, I got NC insurance. They did not take my Rhode Island plates.

Then, I went to the driver's license office. The one I went to in Durham gave me the real license right away. The test is incredibly stupid. It wasn't really hard, just confusing. There were some questions that made no sense to me, so I just skipped them. Once I got 20 right, the test ended. I used braindumps as the study guide. There were a couple of questions on the actual test that weren't on the study guide, but no big deal if you have flipped through the DMV info.

Next, I got the inspection done. I just had to present my license and registration (in my case, still my old Rhode Island registration).

Finally, I went to get the car registered. I got my plates and registration card right away, but I assume the title is coming in the mail.

Make sure you review every thing you need to bring to each of these stops. One thing, however, that I did not see on the DMV website, was that I had to bring proof of NC insurance to register the car (not just to get the license). Thank goodness I had brought it with me just in case.

Anyway, with all the whining about the process, I was pleasantly surprised by my experience. I was in and out of each of these offices in about 30 minutes. In Rhode Island, I had to wait over 30 minutes in line just to get my number to then wait some more! It was hours and hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 67,507 times
Default Thanks!

Folks, thanks again for all the great responses. Just opened my new NC insurance policy and they spelled my street wrong!!

Hey but you know what? Its cheaper than where I came from! Yea! Time for more phone calls...

Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGator View Post
I just did all of this two days ago.

First, I got NC insurance. They did not take my Rhode Island plates.

Then, I went to the driver's license office. The one I went to in Durham gave me the real license right away. The test is incredibly stupid. It wasn't really hard, just confusing. There were some questions that made no sense to me, so I just skipped them. Once I got 20 right, the test ended. I used braindumps as the study guide. There were a couple of questions on the actual test that weren't on the study guide, but no big deal if you have flipped through the DMV info.

Next, I got the inspection done. I just had to present my license and registration (in my case, still my old Rhode Island registration).

Finally, I went to get the car registered. I got my plates and registration card right away, but I assume the title is coming in the mail.

Make sure you review every thing you need to bring to each of these stops. One thing, however, that I did not see on the DMV website, was that I had to bring proof of NC insurance to register the car (not just to get the license). Thank goodness I had brought it with me just in case.

Anyway, with all the whining about the process, I was pleasantly surprised by my experience. I was in and out of each of these offices in about 30 minutes. In Rhode Island, I had to wait over 30 minutes in line just to get my number to then wait some more! It was hours and hours.
Gator, thanks for this great advice. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't just go to Durham. I assumed I'd have to go to an office in the county I live in so I hadn't thought of that. My hat's off to RI and the immortal restaurant Custy's! Eaten there many times...

Old 07-25-2009, 12:53 PM

29 posts, read 67,116 times
DanielChang - thanks for the response...

tint? what?!? they can deny my registration because they don't like the color of my car?!? j/k What's the rule on this? My car's from WI so it doesn't have that "super dark we live in FL and the interior will melt without it" tint.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:55 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche 3.0 View Post
DanielChang - thanks for the response...

tint? what?!? they can deny my registration because they don't like the color of my car?!? j/k What's the rule on this? My car's from WI so it doesn't have that "super dark we live in FL and the interior will melt without it" tint.
Not the color of your car, the color of your windows. If you have aftermarket tint, the inspection is more expensive, too, since they have to "inspect" it with a photometer.

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Window Tinting

Old 07-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Got my license! Got 100 on the test! Thanks for the help.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 PM

153 posts, read 860,687 times
I was way past the 60 days and I had no problem. They did confiscate my California license though, and told me I could be arrested if I had both.

To me the written test was very simple, much simpler and shorter then those back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags145 View Post
I understand the basic process of getting a license here. I have some questions though:

1. The "have to get your license within 60 days of moving NC". OK. I'm over that limit. Do they actually check for this? Do they fine you?

2. I understand that they now give you a temp license then mail you the photo one. I'm assuming they take your out of state license. How long does it take to get the photo one? I have to fly a lot. Airlines don't care for non-photo IDs and I'm not about to spend hours sitting on Amtrak.

3. Is the written test as Draconian as its made out to be? From what I've read here, writing out the Illiad in long hand from memory would be easier.

4. If you fail do you have to pay again when you take it or is it "one fee, take it until you pass"? If you do fail do they take your old license away or do you get it back?

5. I've read you can't get a registration until the car is inspected. Since the car has no plates, how is this possible? Its an old used car and I had to turn my old plates in when I got the NC insurance.

6. When you turn in your title for an NC title, about how long does it take to get the new title?

Sorry for my ignorance. Any help is most appreciated.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 AM

Default Just Got Registration

Once again folks, thanks for all the help.

I now have my regular license and just went to get registration and title. It was quite simple and very efficient. These folks do a better job with two separate offices than most states do with one inefficient one. My photo even looks good; the previous one made me look like a resident of death row.

My only mistake was not realizing that there would be tax; I didn't have enough cash on me and had to use their ATM which charges about $4 in fees. The plates are $28, the title is $40. Then there was a highway tax or something of about $35. My car is ANCIENT so I'm sure that figures in. There are a couple of forms to fill out which they will give you or you can get off the internet. Understand that in my case I own the car; there are no liens and the title or any of that sort of thing. Apparently if you have that the procedure is slightly different. Here is the registration info:

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: How do I title & register a vehicle?

I was handed the plate and the registration, then told the title would be mailed in 10 days. The first question I asked was "I've heard that cars pre 1995 no longer have to have an emissions test". Mine is a 1994. She said yes, that's true, safety only. I then asked "How long do I have to get it inspected". I was told it just has to be done before the registration expires in a year, that there is no longer some pre-prescribed time. In other words, if I chose, I could wait until the day before it expires (I don't suggest that folks!). Wanted to share with you folks what I was told and see if anyone had a similar experience. I'm in Wake.

Have a wonderful day and drink lots of fluids!!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,024 times
On the website it says that you need to bring the MVR-1 (title application) signed by all owners in the presence of a notary. Do I have to go somewhere to get this notorized ahead of time?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,024 times
Anybody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary