Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:41 PM

190 posts, read 864,537 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of retiring to Fearrington in a couple of years. We have been once and fell in love with it and the area. Going back for a 2nd time this May.

Would love to hear pros and cons from people who live there. One of my requirements in retirement is to be in a place I don't feel isolated, with lots to do, with good healthcare nearby and better weather than where we are now (North of Boston).

We live near the coast now (15 minutes away) so would be eager to hear how long the drive is to the nearest beach, and what that beach is.

Our main 2 reasons for leaving where we now live are cost of living (MUCH higher than Chapel Hill area) and weather (we want to be able to be outside more). How bad are the Summers anyway?? (heat and humidity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 06:47 AM

112 posts, read 629,084 times
bump.

My parents have just recently been interested in this community from reading online. Online, it seems to have everything they are looking for in a retirement home (they *don't* want to be on a golf course!). Would love to hear more feedback about Fearrington.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,647,609 times
I've visited ther. It's absolutely charming! Don't know how it would be to live there, though, as it felt prtty rural to me. But, then, I don't know the area.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:52 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,234,731 times
Default heat and humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
How bad are the Summers anyway?? (heat and humidity).
Here's some opinions on summer temperatures:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...soooo-hot.html

Old 04-22-2007, 10:19 AM

242 posts, read 1,016,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
My husband and I are thinking of retiring to Fearrington in a couple of years. We have been once and fell in love with it and the area. Going back for a 2nd time this May.

Would love to hear pros and cons from people who live there. One of my requirements in retirement is to be in a place I don't feel isolated, with lots to do, with good healthcare nearby and better weather than where we are now (North of Boston).

We live near the coast now (15 minutes away) so would be eager to hear how long the drive is to the nearest beach, and what that beach is.

Our main 2 reasons for leaving where we now live are cost of living (MUCH higher than Chapel Hill area) and weather (we want to be able to be outside more). How bad are the Summers anyway?? (heat and humidity).
My parents retired to Fearrington from New York in the early 90s and have loved it ever since. Good healthcare was a priority for them as my Dad has a heart condition and they have not been disappointed. With UNC so close by, he has received top-notch care and to be quite blunt, lasted much longer than anyone gave him.

Fearrington itself has it's own village center and my parents have found clubs and activities to be a part of there as well as in Pittsboro, Carrboro or Chapel Hill. They often have a Farmer's Market, readings by local authors and craft shows that come right to Fearrington.

Fearrington is a bit isolated from any type of real downtown or shopping mall (15-20 minute drive) but other conveniences are not too far (grocery store, movie theaters, restaurants). And it seems more are coming.

The beach is an hour plus away. Carolina Beach I believe is the closest/most convenient. Easy drive for an overnight trip and if you are real ambitious, a day trip. Fearrington does have it's own pool club, (very reasonable for a yearly family membership) which is nice for cooling off and getting to know people, although that is not hard as everyone is very open and friendly there.

There seems to be a good mix of people that have made the move from a variety of places around the country to Fearrington, so everyone brings their own stories and experiences. Aside from it being a bit far out, I don't see any negatives.

Let me know if you have any specific questions that I can answer or can find out from my parents. Hope this was helpful and good luck.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:31 AM

306 posts, read 1,304,414 times
Not sure about living there but I like to visit. The shopping area is quaint. They also have the 'oreo' cows. I saw them in a very heavy rainstorm and they are legit.

http://www.fearrington.com/village/cows.asp

Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 PM

112 posts, read 629,084 times
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if families with young children would be welcomed to live in this community? My parents are seriously thinking about this community, and was wondering if there are any age restrictions?

Old 04-22-2007, 07:12 PM

242 posts, read 1,016,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rieboots View Post
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if families with young children would be welcomed to live in this community? My parents are seriously thinking about this community, and was wondering if there are any age restrictions?
There are no age restrictions. I think it was originally geared toward retirees but there are a decent amount of younger families w/children too.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:04 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,542,728 times
Default Oreo cows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post
Not sure about living there but I like to visit. The shopping area is quaint. They also have the 'oreo' cows. I saw them in a very heavy rainstorm and they are legit.

Fearrington Belted Galloways | Belted Galloway cows | Oreo cows
Those cows are a hoot! I had never heard of an "oreo cow" before, so I had to click in and see what you were talking about.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:49 AM

58 posts, read 63,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Those cows are a hoot! I had never heard of an "oreo cow" before, so I had to click in and see what you were talking about.

They paint the cows that way! Really they use a blend of acrylic and oil based paint on the cow so it doesn't run when they get wet in the rain. They put the paint on the cows while they are standing with a roller type brush. Its really neat to see the process unfold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary