Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
A security officer stopped me and told me to stop taking photos. Somewhere inside is a sign that also indicates that permission is required before posting photographs. Ya never know, NRG, you might have a wanted photo posted somewhere in their main security office.
Really? I wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 06:11 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Really? I wonder why?
I had the same thing happen at North Hills. Photos of structures were not allowed.

My understanding is, if the owners have registered copyright of the image of the building, they can control the production and use of the image.
I do not know if that is the case of those complexes, or not.

Also, if you are on private property, your photo-taking rights are much more subject to limitation by owners than if you are shooting from public property, i.e., a city street.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:47 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
sounds like a Michael Moore movie, but I finally went there tonight after missing it completely while driving right by several times in the last 14 months....

my wife works there and didnt even realize the extent of it. but anyways, what an awesome place! just so full of cool stuff, happy people, and amazing waterways/fountains. i officially like something about durham that's not related to Duke ;-)
It makes my heart happy that you FINALLY found something you like in Durham.... and something being related to Duke doesn't seem like such a bad thing either, they do pay my salary!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:59 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
there's nothing wrong with it being related to duke at all. it was just so far the only things i thought made durham worth visiting (decent restaurants that are similar to ones elsewhere don't count) were the duke gardens, duke's campus, and the areas around duke.... now that i have a couple bases, i'll try to branch out

funny though, the people in durham like durham (obviously), and coming from a different area i figure everywhere has good and bad. but all the people from NC in general that i meet down here always sort of laugh and are like "no, durham sucks." at least i was just neutral

Old 07-25-2009, 11:14 AM

29 posts, read 68,535 times
It's very sad, I didn't even realize I worked in the American Tobacco Campus (I'm Gucci's wife). But we had our work offsite on Wednesday and we played kickball in the Durham Bulls park, and that is when I found all the cool stuff around there - i couldn't believe i had passed it by. All I thought was that there was a Mellow Mushroom on the other side of the ATC.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:06 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Really? I wonder why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I had the same thing happen at North Hills. Photos of structures were not allowed.

My understanding is, if the owners have registered copyright of the image of the building, they can control the production and use of the image.

Also, if you are on private property, your photo-taking rights are much more subject to limitation by owners than if you are shooting from public property, i.e., a city street.
I think that pretty much outlines American Tobacco. It's such a deceptively wide open space on the interior that I'm sure some may think it's a city venue and not a private one.

Nonetheless, I'm most people fly under the radar, even though I do believe they have a camera system there. I guess I can't blame them... it's such a beautiful place. But I'm sure a wedding couple can't just drop by and take photos there. Someone would blow a gasket if permission wasn't sought ahead of time (and even then, permission might not be granted).

Nice photos in that separate thread, NRG!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

You actually have EVERY right to photograph there, or at ATC. They may have registered copyright the image of the building, but that just means you can't use a photo for commercial use. You can, however, take as many pictures as you like for personal use. This article explains it in detail.

Anyone who wants to photograph public buildings and areas (I'm looking at you, NRG ) should download and print out a copy of The Photographer's Right and keep it with you.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
^that's a very interesting article. but it also seems to imply that you can be kicked off the premises by security if they feel you are trespassing. the same way you have the right to wear no shirt in public, but you can be kicked out of a mall for it.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:48 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
ATC is probably one of the best things going in Durham. Coupled with a Friday night Bulls game and an awesome fireworks display afterwards - it's hard to beat for a fun and inexpensive night out.

The former Elkins dealership across the street has been sold and is slated for a mixed use development park which could add more options in the future.

Frank

Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,726 times
[quote=CaliBoy;9940508]Funny that you posted those. If they knew, they would probably object. I was taking photographs just for fun since I, too, think it's an amazing place. A security officer stopped me and told me to stop taking photos. Somewhere inside is a sign that also indicates that permission is required before posting photographs. quote]

Exactly. I have been harrassed twice there, just taking photos of the waterfalls and tower. I have several friends who have had the same experience. Rather annoying. I worked there for about 7months too. Cool place to work, but had to pay to park, which I didnt like. Great to go outside and relax in the park during breaks and lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary