Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 05:02 PM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the 27712 zip code? I will be shopping for a home soon and would like to look at other areas in Durham besides the Southpoint area of Durham where I currently live, in order to expand my search options.

I also like parts of the 27707 area which includes the Hope Valley area of Durham. I like Chapel Hill also, but unless I hit the Lotto tomorrow, I may as well forget that on my budget of 400K-450K . I also like Grandale but the schools zoned for that area are no good. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:43 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Hardscrabble (Hillsborough address in Durham County in 27712 area) and in Hillsborough Churton Grove. Treyburn is really nice too.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:07 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
I live in the 27712 zip and love it! In the 400-450k price range you have some nice options. You should look at Greenwich Hills (or something like that), River's Edge, Riverside on the Eno, Eno Forest, Croasdaile Farms, Treyburn, etc... Your best bet for schools is to stay in the Riverside HS, Brogden MS & either Little River, Hillandale or Easley ES zones. I'm in River's Edge and couldn't be happier. We're far more convenient to most everything than I expected to be...and couldn't be more convenient to the Eno River State Park! DM me if you want more info.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:09 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Hardscrabble (Hillsborough address in Durham County in 27712 area) and in Hillsborough Churton Grove. Treyburn is really nice too.
Those are lovely areas. I visited all 3 of those neighborhoods for the first time this summer. But for me they all felt VERY far away from stuff. Treyburn is this "island" in the middle of what is still mostly country. Which some people would love. But just getting from Treyburn to the grocery store down the road is a stroll.

I guess it depends on what you want. But those 3 areas very much felt like the country to me. And for me, if I'm going to live in the country I want acreage, not a suburban development. But we're all different.

Jamerican, there are some lovely homes in HV West in that price range. They are not new, like Grandale, but are zoned for HV Elem, Githens, & Jordan. All good schools.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:19 PM

60 posts, read 215,091 times
Default 27712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Is anyone familiar with the 27712 zip code? I will be shopping for a home soon and would like to look at other areas in Durham besides the Southpoint area of Durham where I currently live, in order to expand my search options.
I spent 10+ yrs. living in that area, off and on while attending college & coming home for breaks. Still travel Umstead Rd. Nice, quiet area attractive homes/lots.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Those are lovely areas. I visited all 3 of those neighborhoods for the first time this summer. But for me they all felt VERY far away from stuff. Treyburn is this "island" in the middle of what is still mostly country. Which some people would love. But just getting from Treyburn to the grocery store down the road is a stroll.

I guess it depends on what you want. But those 3 areas very much felt like the country to me. And for me, if I'm going to live in the country I want acreage, not a suburban development. But we're all different.

Jamerican, there are some lovely homes in HV West in that price range. They are not new, like Grandale, but are zoned for HV Elem, Githens, & Jordan. All good schools.
Thanks for the insight PDXmom, but I have been looking at the schools in the areas and it does not look too good unless I can afford private school. Some of the schools according to this site Greatschools.net Search: Durham is just way out there in terms of performance etc. However, what I will probably do is to look at the areas zoned with the better schools and look at the homes in those areas .

Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
The schools are fine. Northern is just as good as Riverside, though there are the "uppity" type that want to act like it is better, but its truly not. Great teachers and bad teachers at both. Plus, you are responsible for educating your child for the first 12 years of their life, as much, if not more, than the school is (and alot of parents don't realize this) if you truly want your kid to excel.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
. Plus, you are responsible for educating your child for the first 12 years of their life, as much, if not more, than the school is (and alot of parents don't realize this) if you truly want your kid to excel.
Amen! I do agree with that wholeheartedly. My wife and I try to work with our girls and push them as much as we can, but if they are not in a good school as well that could take away from them thus slowing them down somewhat. Anyway a great thing just happened a few minutes ago ie, that my 7 year old just got accepted to Pearsontown Elementary which is a great year round school and ranked 7 out of 10 Greatschools.net Search: Durham Public. We were on a waiting list for about a year and was bumped up on the list because I guess someone failed to respond to the call .

Now this will free us up to live anywhere in Durham without having to worry about zoned schools at least for now ... . I may now take another look at Grandale.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 AM

635 posts, read 1,616,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
my 7 year old just got accepted to Pearsontown Elementary ...
Now this will free us up to live anywhere in Durham without having to worry about zoned schools at least for now ... .
Congrats. I hear great things about Pearsontown...a warning though, I would confirm with Durham Public Schools that you can live anywhere if I were you! I don't think that's the case. Pearsontown is not a magnet school, but rather a year-round school with feeder zones. From the DPS website:

"Pearsontown has no assigned attendance zone, but serves students from Bethesda, Creekside, Fayetteville Street, Forest View, Hope Valley, Lakewood, Parkwood, Pearson, E.K. Powe, Southwest, and Watts attendance zones who wish to attend a year-round school. Students access Pearsontown through the year-round lottery application process."

I believe this means that you need to purchase a home that feeds into one of those schools in order to stay at Pearsontown. Maybe that's what you meant?

Plus, school already started 1.5 weeks ago!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
Congrats. I hear great things about Pearsontown...a warning though, I would confirm with Durham Public Schools that you can live anywhere if I were you! I don't think that's the case. Pearsontown is not a magnet school, but rather a year-round school with feeder zones. From the DPS website:

"Pearsontown has no assigned attendance zone, but serves students from Bethesda, Creekside, Fayetteville Street, Forest View, Hope Valley, Lakewood, Parkwood, Pearson, E.K. Powe, Southwest, and Watts attendance zones who wish to attend a year-round school. Students access Pearsontown through the year-round lottery application process."

I believe this means that you need to purchase a home that feeds into one of those schools in order to stay at Pearsontown. Maybe that's what you meant?

Plus, school already started 1.5 weeks ago!
I appreciate the heads-up .... I will definitely look into this. Thanks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary