Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times

Advertisements

Great question and allot of great post as well.

We live in Wake Forest and really like it but change maybe a coming as I may have a job transfer coming through sending us back to upstate NY. At first we thought OH NO but now that it is sinking in and gives us the ability to be with family and friends again we are pretty excited. This place is really nice for some but in my case once a north easterners always a north easterner. I guess I'm a better chiller than a sweater!

But if the transfer does not come through than its here till I retire or lose my job and than its off to another adventure between here and the north east somewhere!

In the end, would we, and that is a very personal decision that only applies to us, have made this move to start with? The answer would be no. To much churn on our kids in school, starting over and finding new friends for them and us, trying to adapt to a very different life style than we were accustomed to, less to do here than meets the sales brochures and magazine's promoting the area. For the State's Capital I guess I was expecting more things to do locally versus driving all over creation to go to and see places. But again this is just a personal view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 35,567 times
My only major dislike living here is the lack of public transportation (metro rail system similar to Wash, DC or NY) to get around the city and surrounding suburbs. You almost HAVE to have a car here (which I do, but don't always want to drive).

Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I guess we are more nesting types than others cause all this talk about nothing to do baffles me. With all the activities the kids are involved with, taking care of a home and a very intensive gardening interest-who has time or money to "do things". And of course we are in our 60's but even younger we were definitely home bodies. I like a good muscial production or theater from time to time but for the most part we find our own amusements and entertainment at home. That works for us.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 PM

92 posts, read 309,661 times
Is Durham not attractive? I have not been to Durham in ages. It sounds like a great town for me on paper but from the photos, I can't tell if it is nice looking. What do you find unattractive about the look of it? Run-down buildings, trashy, not enough nice homes or trees?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,726 times
The area is ok, but I have long wanted to live elsewhere. There is good and bad about living here, but its so decentralized compared to most cities and lacks alot of exciting things to do/see. The roads have not kept up with the growth for sure. The heat never used to bother me too much, but each year it seems more oppressive (yes I know its worse in FL and some other places, but its not fun doing strenuous activity in wet heat).

I miss the fingerlakes of NY as one poster mentioned. The lakes here are all manmade and on the murky side. I miss having a view. The trees are nice, but you get tired of it after awhile. I like cities on the water, be it river, ocean or lake.

There are good golf courses here, but like most things you have to drive alot to do it. There are some cool things about living here that you have to kinda discover, and have to have money to live near them like inside the beltline areas.

I always say its a good place to raise a family, go to school, etc. It just lacks the excitement/vibe/scenery of other places.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
I love living in the area, but professionally it's been quite difficult for me to develop. Without the internet to maintain a remote client base in NY and Europe, I would have had to totally reinvent myself into doing something I wouldn't really want to do professionally.

Even still, in my line of work, there's a terrible sense of isolation living in the Triangle. The missus would probably be better served by other markets for her career as well.

So, in short - in terms of quality of life, it's great. In terms of earning opportunities for a lot of fields, it's pretty meagre.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 29,454 times
I moved here about 15 yrs ago and have really enjoyed raising my family here. I may or may not stay for retirement, although a lot of people do move here to retire for the lower cost of living and moderate climate. It is a great place to "grow a career and family"!

Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesCatsandDogs View Post
Is Durham not attractive? I have not been to Durham in ages. It sounds like a great town for me on paper but from the photos, I can't tell if it is nice looking. What do you find unattractive about the look of it? Run-down buildings, trashy, not enough nice homes or trees?
For what it's worth, I find that the majority of Durham is quite attractive. Like all towns, there are some areas that aren't so nice, but I've found those areas are easily avoided. I live in southern Durham & I find to be very pretty and quite convenient. Our neighborhood is well kept and has tons of lovely, tall trees. I also enjoy going to downtown Durham to enjoy the theaters & local restaurants.

It's all about personal opinion and comfort, though. Some people prefer living elsewhere and that's okay, too.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
We loved living in Wilmington and moved here only because the job transferred us (with a promotion that we couldn't say no to!). We just don't find alot to do here that interests us. Can't find the kind of house/lot we want. So it will either be back to Wilmington and the beach, or to Charlotte which we really like!
It is funny how people like different things. My wife and I moved from Wilmington to Cary with a job transfer a few years ago. We are Wilmington natives; actually we would be “Old Wilmington” by the old standards. We love it up here, and have found many of the people from “Old Wilmington” now living in Cary. I wonder why we stayed so long, nothing for entertainment but the beach, and it is shoulder to shoulder.
Wilmington was a nice town for many years, now it is just a wall to wall traffic jam. It is rated as the worst city to drive in NC, and their auto insurance reflects the status as the city with the most aggressive drivers. I think their crime rate is now greater or equal to Durham, and a drive through downtown shows you the size of their gang problem. I for one am glad to be in Cary, and have no plans to move back to Wilmington, wish I could get my family to move up here so I wouln't have to worry about them.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:15 PM

48 posts, read 158,742 times
Actually, the thing I hate most about living here are the true natives. I have been lied to and shunned because I'm not from here eventhough they were very nice to my face. I've had people in other areas of the state ask me not to judge the entire state based on the Raleigh natives, to me that said a lot. At least in Annapolis you always knew where you stood with people. I don't find much to do here that interests me and yes, I've been to the museums, etc and just don't like it. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the new job to come through so that we can move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary