Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM

24 posts, read 65,851 times

Advertisements

I don't believe I am going to say this but.... I miss pittsburgh. My husband is from here and he decided to move our family here. Now I am a jersey girl maybe that's why I miss pitt but I miss my friends and my house that had a basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 04:20 PM

24 posts, read 65,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Just to get the record straight for some of the newcomers here with more open minds, those comments certainly do not represent me a Raleigh native, my family or my close friends...
I am a northerner and I like the natives more than the people I met from my neck of the woods.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM

11 posts, read 32,910 times
I truly like it here in Raleigh. The only thing I don't appreciate are the taxes on everything. Do you realize there is an annual tax on cat and dogs.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM

335 posts, read 800,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesCatsandDogs View Post
I read a few responses that stated the poster did not like living in R/D/CH area and planned to move but they did not say why. Please explain why you want to move away. Thanks.
I love it here in many respects. Quiet, friendly neighborhood, big house for relatively little money, short commute to work, gorgeous mature trees and walking trails in the neighborhood, friends all over the place...

...But my husband and I are moving away because of salary issues. His company transferred him to Raleigh from Northern VA to manage a new branch, then they closed the branch after only 18 months (long story, not husband's fault). Now he has to commute to NoVA to work every week while I hold down the fort. He applies for similar jobs down here every week, but can't find anything that pays even remotely what he makes now. And I had to take a pay cut last year that will never be reinstated. Finding another, better paying job in the RTP area is almost impossible - I've been scouting around for opportunities to move up, but they just aren't there.

So our choice is stay here and have him take at least a 40% pay cut, or relocate to NoVA where we can both get high salaries (and yes, I know all too well about the high cost of living there, but it does balance out). Either way, our house is on the market as we can't afford the mortgage if he stays here and changes jobs.

I'm heartbroken about it, but that's our reality and we're just dealing with it.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
Finding another, better paying job in the RTP area is almost impossible - I've been scouting around for opportunities to move up, but they just aren't there.
I agree with all the positives that you have mentioned about this area and (unfortunately) your assessment of the career opportunities here. The local job market has been a disappointment

Old 11-02-2009, 01:54 PM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
On the surface, the triangle seems VERY rural... just look at the highways and many streets at night time, the insufficient lighting (and reflectors) makes it difficult to see if you're not familiar with the roads. Every time I come home from traveling to other cities, I find that I can barely see the roads while driving home from the airport--I could've sworn that my headlights weren't working last night!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:50 PM

23 posts, read 79,138 times
The dim roads at night is the first thing I noticed when I first moved to Greensboro, NC from a big city with good infrastructure.

It's harder to see where you're going at night, especially when you're over 40! I see the same problem in most places in NC. It is very rural.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda5 View Post
The dim roads at night is the first thing I noticed when I first moved to Greensboro, NC from a big city with good infrastructure.

It's harder to see where you're going at night, especially when you're over 40! I see the same problem in most places in NC. It is very rural.
I almost never venture out of my lighted area in North Raleigh at night.

Still love Raleigh after 21 years but can't get to many places because of poor depth perception (27 years programming mainframe computers).

Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
There is no one area that fits everyone. I recently had a retired couple from up north that wanted to go back! They have lived here for 2 years and just decided it wasn't for them. They moved here because they READ that it was a great place to live. Well, I think it IS a great place to live but again, it isn't for everyone. Life is too short to stay where you are unhappy. Unhappy people are not an asset to any area so I'm always happy to hear when someone isn't happy that they move elsewhere. I don't mean that in a negative way but I'm the type of person that just believes that everyone should be happy!

Vicki
You are very wise, Vicki.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM

238 posts, read 668,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdicorcia714 View Post
I don't believe I am going to say this but.... I miss pittsburgh. My husband is from here and he decided to move our family here. Now I am a jersey girl maybe that's why I miss pitt but I miss my friends and my house that had a basement.
I moved here a year ago from PIT and can't see myself ever moving back already. Don't miss it one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary