Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 PM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times

Advertisements

I used to be an MCI/Verizon customer. No more.

Here are my choices for phone service (VOIP)

1. Viatalk (I have this and I pay about $9/month unlimited)

2. MagicJack (about $40/yr unlimited calls + long distance)

Both require dedicated high speed Internet service. MagicJack requires an always-on computer. Viatalk does not require an always-on computer.

I would never pay more than $10/month...you don't HAVE TO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I'd check into digital phone from Time Warner - the new subscriber rate is $19.95/month with unlimited long-distance (and local).
Be forewarned, TWC is well known to be crappy in comparison to Verizon. Do a search on CD and you'll see PLENTY of threads about this. When I moved to a new apt with wiring issues, I was talking to the Verizon tech and he told me that Verizon had to create a whole new division to deal with the influx of people switching back to Verizon from TWC. I also had a friend who was suckered into a cheaper rate and she was sorry she did it, it was such a hassle. I would call her and the phone wouldn't ring. Verizon may not be the cheapest, but I have to say that I've been with them since before they were even called Verizon and I've never had service issues like I hear are commonplace with TWC. My internet never goes out since I got dsl in '06.

We have that same plan the OP does with the tri-wide. When I need to dial LD, I use my cell or Skype. I LOVE Skype, but I use it as a business line and the OP didn't really want that I don't think. I still may consider some other options once I get my new computer set up since I'm tired of paying all this money, but I still want a landline for my alarm system. I didn't want to try other things because this computer is SO old. Maybe I'll bump this thread once I get things going.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
Be forewarned, TWC is well known to be crappy in comparison to Verizon. Do a search on CD and you'll see PLENTY of threads about this.
I'm not a huge fan of TWC, but I will say that their digital phone service was perfectly fine for the year I had it. My internet went out maybe 3-4 times and with it my phone service. I hate calling their technical support, and I hate that they discontinued electronic billing, but in all honesty the service okay. My main reason for switching to AT&T was to give something else a try, and to take advantage of $225 in cash back offers. I'm hoping that U-Verse comes to my neighborhood later this year and I'll likely give that a try as well. My absolute worst ever experience with phone or internet was when I had DSL with Bell Atlantic back in Virginia. I went round and round with them about the constant disconnects and finally gave up and switched to cable.

Anyhow, I can't see ANY reason to pay $50+/month for a land line with all the competition around these days. If you think the quality of Verizon is worth that much that's cool - but the OP is looking for some less expensive alternatives. I say give something new a try - worst case you switch back if it turns out to be unworkable! Money is money!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:45 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
I picked up Magic Jack the other day...need to get it installed and see if I can do away with as much of Time Warner as possible.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Fwiw, I have a cell phone and use Skype to make calls from home, costs me about $10 per year to add credit to the account. Huge savings over TWC/Verizon/etc - my cell phones handle everything.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Fwiw, I have a cell phone and use Skype to make calls from home, costs me about $10 per year to add credit to the account. Huge savings over TWC/Verizon/etc - my cell phones handle everything.
I was going to say the same thing. If the OP has a cell phone chances are tacking on an additional $50/month to what they currently pay would give them the unlimited minutes plan rate for the cell carrier. So either you pay the cell phone company or a phone company.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
We used TWC for a year. We had no problems with it, but we were paying $40/mo for the service, plus fees! We've since switched to T-Mobile@Home. It costs $10/mo for unlimited nationwide long distance and includes VoiceMail. I do miss having the functionality you get from the TWC service, though. It was kinda nice to get the caller ID on the telephone and to be able to review call history through the cable box. Still, a savings of close to $40/mo for the exact same service is a no-brainer.

Mike

PS - Only catch to T-Mobile@Home is that you have to have a cellular account with them as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
We use Skype, computer to computer, other then the one free call they gave us when we first signed up. My daughter loves it because she can talk to her Father in Texas and of course they can see each other, play games on the internet with each other etc.

Tell me about how Skype works where you pay to make just calls on it?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:53 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Skype, Gizmo, and now Google Voice basically allow you to make VOIP calls for very cheap rates, like 1 cent/min nationally, and a few cents/min internationally, from a computer. Skype and Gizmo work directly off a computer, so you need a headset or USB phone to make calls and an internet connection. Google Voice I believe you dial on the computer and it calls a phone you want to talk from plus the number you want to reach, so you dial from the computer but don't call from the computer - you use your own phone.

With all three you add credit via credit card in a sum of like $10, and then start eating into that credit as you make calls. 800 calls are free still, so its only for normal toll calls that it costs you money. All have voicemail and call forwarding services, but none have e911 service. You can have 911 service without a phone plan however - all phone lines have to connect to 911 in the USA if they are active or not.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Has anyone actually tried the MagicJack?? I have seen it advertised but I guess I am a skeptic. You only pay $40 for the MagicJack and no more to pay? Of course as someone mentioned, you would only get calls when your computer is on, with me that is 90% of the time anyway.

We also have cell phones so I don't want to pay much for a landline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary