Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM

351 posts, read 770,294 times

Advertisements

po⋅di⋅um  /ˈpo-dee-uhm /

noun, pl. -di·ums

Raised platform or stage from which a speaker delivers speech.

lec⋅tern  /ˈlek-tern /

noun

a stand with a slanted top, used to hold a book, speech, manuscript, etc., at the proper height for a reader or speaker.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
No missing teeth today!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Did you see the gray-haired man with glasses interviewed on NBC-17? My husband! The reporter came up to him while we were in line and interviewed him. We don't know if it aired.

Seeing Obama today was INCREDIBLE.

Everything went much better than I imagined. Got there at 8 am, parked at Cameron Village. We stood in line, the weather was great. We met an out of work marketing/sales person and a person who worked at Meredith College. Fun to talk to.

Security searched our purses, and I had to give up my projectile apples. I thought that might happen. We went through a metal detector. Ladies room was very convenient and NO LINE. I was shocked.

We were seated in the FIFTH ROW, just right of center! OMG! PERFECT SEATS! We felt very fortunate.

We waited about a couple of hours, but it didn't seem that long. Ex-governor Hunt was glad handing everyone. He walked by us and winked at us and then waved -- at US! We smiled and nodded. We are sure he thought my husband was somone else.

At one time, my husband looked a little like billionaire Jim Goodnight (SAS fame), only shorter (with about 8 billion fewer dollars), and so maybe that was it, who knows. Last time I saw Governor Hunt was at SAS. Hunt must know a lot of gray-haired men, though.

There were a bunch of politicians, and later when I post some pics, you can play the "Name that politician" game. I recognized the mayor of Durham, but that was it. All the poiliticians were milling about near us, so it was fun to watch.

An elderly minister gave an invocation. He said some things about Michelle Obama that made us think he REALLY liked her. I wish I could remember the exact words. Seemed strange in an invocation.

Then a young woman sang the national anthem. Very nice.

Then a small-business person, a woman who sells cupcakes, introduced the president. Everyone on the stage represented their small businesses. That was cool. I took some great photos of the cupcake woman and the president.

I took more than 200 photos of President Obama. He looks younger and more handsome in person. (Really!) I took photos of everyone who asked questions.

I thought everyone in attendance was very polite and quiet when they needed to be. One guy jumped up and asked a question, and it sounded like this to us: Wah, wah wah. Wah wah wah. Wah? The president did not respond to him mostly because he couldn't understand what he was saying. That was the only weird thing.

I thought President Obama did a great job. He's a great communicator.

We feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to go. I'll post some pics soon.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 07-29-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Did you see the gray-haired man with glasses interviewed on NBC-17? My husband!
Does he have all his teeth?

Glad you had a great time!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
President Barack Obama's July 29, 2009 town hall remarks :: WRAL.com

Here is the text from today.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:49 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Sounds like you had a great time. I'm sure this is an event you'll always remember.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing this with us! I'm glad you had a good time!! Can't wait to see the photos.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:14 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Unfortunately, my computer is, of all times, NOW, running extremely slowly, so husband will work on it tonight.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 PM

Here is a youtube video posted over on NewRaleigh of the Obama Motorcade making its way down Peace Street in Downtown Raleigh.

YouTube - Obama Presidential Motorcade - Raleigh NC - Broughton

Old 07-31-2009, 08:18 AM

Default Air Force One

Another youtube video from NewRaleigh. Obama landing at RDU Airport.

YouTube - Obama Arrival RDU - 07/29/09
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary