Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,948 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I have a question about the Raleigh or Durham area. Is it totally impossible to find a single family detached home in a good school district in the price range of $100-150,000? We are looking for a starter home. We know nothing about the area, we are just looking for a nice neighborhood and distance to and from work is not important because my husband is a merchant seaman and I am a stay-at-home mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,228,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiebpie View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have a question about the Raleigh or Durham area. Is it totally impossible to find a single family detached home in a good school district in the price range of $100-150,000? We are looking for a starter home. We know nothing about the area, we are just looking for a nice neighborhood and distance to and from work is not important because my husband is a merchant seaman and I am a stay-at-home mom.
Yes, I beleive it is possible. However you need to research the individual schools for any neighborhood you are considering. The school systems are countywide here and you need to recognize that reassignments can happen.

Wake County is one School System, Durham County has it's own ect...If you live in Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs ect.. you are still within the same school system of Wake County.

You may also want to consider Clayton in Johnston County.

I do think for a single family detached home you will be looking at something at the upper end of your price range ($150K). While that is lower than the average price for homes it is doable. You just need to do the research to find the best options for you. I suggest you come for a visit and see if the area is to you liking. Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
Thank you so much for your response. My husband and I are planning to take a trip in August.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,069,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiebpie View Post
Thank you so much for your response. My husband and I are planning to take a trip in August.
While it's possible, your budget is well below the average price of a home for the area. Please don't set your expecations too high or you will be disappointed.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:06 PM

171 posts, read 429,342 times
It depends what kind of environment you are looking for. Such housing is available, but it depends if you gravitate towards urban, suburban or countryside. There are respectable options in each kind of housing. Personally, my wife and I are downtown/east Raleigh. The magnet school system is quite good in Raleigh, and our schools are the local magnet schools. I'll send you some sites to check out to research test scores and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary